Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 05:38 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,899,490 times

Advertisements

I was driving into a restaurant parking lot about 30 mins ago and noticed a mom (I guess it was the mom) sliding open the minivan side door, a lit cigarette hanging out of her mouth, and reaching in to get her toddler our of her child seat.

Now I know there is no law (that I know of) that prevents people from smoking around children, but should there be? Is there any reason why children should be exposed to the dangers of smoking? I always hear about smokers and their rights, but what about the rights of the child? Do they want to suck in smoke? I think these parents, grandparents, etc who smoke around children should be put in jail. PERIOD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 05:41 PM

193 posts, read 191,814 times
Nanny state idiocy.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:41 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Actually, you are wrong here. There are laws prohibiting smoking around kids, at least in some circumstances:

Calif. Prohibits Smoking With Kids In Car - CBS News

Old 10-08-2009, 05:43 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,316,618 times
Quote:
Should parents smoking near children be arrested for child abuse?
Only after being tazered.
But seriously,if they don't know any better not to, a law isn't going to help, but to serve as a revenue generating "stupid tax".
We have enough laws.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:43 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,193,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I was driving into a restaurant parking lot about 30 mins ago and noticed a mom (I guess it was the mom) sliding open the minivan side door, a lit cigarette hanging out of her mouth, and reaching in to get her toddler our of her child seat.

Now I know there is no law (that I know of) that prevents people from smoking around children, but should there be? Is there any reason why children should be exposed to the dangers of smoking? I always hear about smokers and their rights, but what about the rights of the child? Do they want to suck in smoke? I think these parents, grandparents, etc who smoke around children should be put in jail. PERIOD
I think there should be laws preventing people from smoking around children. Here in Ontario, Canada it is illegal to smoke in a vehicle with children under the age of 16 as passengers, I believe the fine is $105.00.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:44 PM

193 posts, read 191,814 times
That doesn't make the law right.

At that, I'm outa here for the night.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:44 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,047 times
Next thing you know they'll be fining parents who do not put sun screen on their kids.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:49 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
And at what point do you think the government should put their nose into the private lives of people around the country? Should they arrest parents who take their children to eat at McDonald's too often and who decides what is too often? Should they arrest parents who feed their children too many cookies and candies? Should they arrest parents for allowing their children to play with toys some people consider dangerous? Damn, how did millions of us manage to survive all these decades without nanny state people like yourselves to watch over us? I was born in 1969. Remember many holidays spent inside smoke filled homes. Riding in smoke filled cars. Riding bicycles without a helmet. And yet we all managed to survive.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:50 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,927 times
I think there should be a laws that prevents people from smoking in a closed in place with kids there. Unfortunately I doubt it would be enforced but I do think feel parents that smoke around children are ignorant jackasses.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:54 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,947 times
I agree with your sentiment in that I'd assert parents who would smoke in an enclosed space with a child are really joining an infamous club for all who are an insult to the profundity of reproduction and humane capacity of filial love.

Still, I agree with everyone who feel that laws with the best of intentions can still achieve absurd results in practice and we've already got way too many stupid draconian laws making their way into what was supposed to be an establishment that values liberty.

Altogether, though, preserving liberty requires an oft forgotten balance between personal responsibility and social vigilance. We wouldn't stand for people who subjected their children to a gas chamber filled with tobacco smoke. Although the smoker's pleasure-seeking motive is more acceptable than the sadistic motives of someone who would put a child in a gas chamber, it's no more tolerable. The result is the same, and people who can't conceptualize that should be held accountable one way or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies