Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Obama himself shocked by the decision?
Yes, Obama himself was bewildered and wondered what drugs the committee is on 165 70.21%
No, Obama felt fully deserving of the award. Whether the award would come was never in question. 70 29.79%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:25 PM

380 posts, read 691,629 times

Advertisements

President Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize because the world recognizes President Obama's brilliance, impact, integrity, holism, accomplishments and humanity. President Obama has shown, in this short amount of time, how much he genuinely loves this country and the world: He has played a major role in rescuing the automotive industry ; He immediately pulled American troops out of Iraq; He's granted several unemployment extensions to assist laid-off workers-in addressing the collapse of the economy; He has donated millions of dollars in various educational and trade programs; He has influenced Americans to focus on prioritizing, building and maintaining the family; He strives to represent ALL Americans. Remember? The melting pot? To reduce the significance of his winning the Nobel Peace Prize by comparing him to George Bush' failure as President is soooo unfortunate, better yet, "American". Unbelievable! Our President has so many jealous haters. What's so wonderful about our President is he's so mature and pensive. He dismisses and doesn't give much credence to ignorance. He just goes full fledge ahead in changing the world! Keep up the awesome and incomparable work, President Obama. God will one day crown you His good and faithful servant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 08:16 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,417 times
After "W", Jesus himself couldn't have won on the Republican ticket.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:34 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,570,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
After "W", Jesus himself couldn't have won on the Republican ticket.
Agreed. Bush really messed it up for the Republican party.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:47 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,304,300 times
Obama has no clue to why he won this award.
It seems more like the idiot award since Gore won it last.
Obama has done nothing right since his start and is turning
the USA upside down. Obama is really out for dictatorship and
to government control the whole USA. Today was a sad day as the
Obama care was past! Most have no clue what this does to our sad
nation.
Obama said no debt, but he was lying and were looking at 825 billion more.
God bless our children.......................................... ....

Old 10-14-2009, 04:42 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,909,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejuris View Post
President Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize because the world recognizes President Obama's brilliance, impact, integrity, holism, accomplishments and humanity. President Obama has shown, in this short amount of time, how much he genuinely loves this country and the world: He has played a major role in rescuing the automotive industry ; He immediately pulled American troops out of Iraq; He's granted several unemployment extensions to assist laid-off workers-in addressing the collapse of the economy; He has donated millions of dollars in various educational and trade programs; He has influenced Americans to focus on prioritizing, building and maintaining the family; He strives to represent ALL Americans. Remember? The melting pot? To reduce the significance of his winning the Nobel Peace Prize by comparing him to George Bush' failure as President is soooo unfortunate, better yet, "American". Unbelievable! Our President has so many jealous haters. What's so wonderful about our President is he's so mature and pensive. He dismisses and doesn't give much credence to ignorance. He just goes full fledge ahead in changing the world! Keep up the awesome and incomparable work, President Obama. God will one day crown you His good and faithful servant!
the automotive industry is not rescued and is probably going into chapter 7 in the future, with taxpayers losing all of the money that they invested in GM and chrysler. obama pulled troops out of iraq and put them into afghanistan. (now i realize that a lot of democrats will defend that, but i have to ask what are we going to do about pakistan then and when does it stop).
obama may be trying to change the "world" but the fact remains that the world is in a depression that obama is not going to "fix" anytime soon. the united states is in a crisis that the federal reserve is not going to be able to fix anytime soon. in fact, what we have is wall street gambling with the taxpayer funded bailout and risking even more calamity, especially in light of rising unemployment and foreclosure figures. there are no brakes on this behavior and it is insane.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:35 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,932,670 times
Quote:
He immediately pulled American troops out of Iraq
He did? When was this?

Old 10-14-2009, 07:44 AM

921 posts, read 1,131,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
If you've studied Keynesian economics and hate Bush, you're automatically a nominee.
Obviously, you're a "Bush Lover"!

Old 10-14-2009, 08:07 AM

921 posts, read 1,131,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Relax conservatives... In another 7 years maybe you can elect another village idiot that can't spell "Nobel," let alone win one.

I know it really upsets you to see the United States doing better under President Obama. I understand. This event is a real blow to your happiness after the earlier good news of the US losing the Olympic bid and the Afghan War going downhill. Don't let it get you down though. Maybe a terrorist will attack the US soon and you will have something to celebrate. Or maybe the US will have a major natural disaster or something. News is cyclical, so I am sure something terrible will happen to America sometime in the next 7 years and you guys will be just happy as clams.

In the meantime... you should be aware that many of us on the left are quite happy to see the President of the United States honored with the Noble Peace Prize. In fact, many of us on the left are upset when our president isn't deserving of this award (like the village idiot that just left office). So today is a good day for America and a bad day for you. Just keep your chin up and pray for something terrible to happen. Jesus loves you best after all...
I agree with you all the way.

Those conservatives are going to continue to whine & they're also probably praying for Obama to make a huge mistake just so that they can say to America "I Told You So!".

Old 10-14-2009, 09:02 AM

474 posts, read 601,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
What a waste of a great prize.. Someone truly deserving should have won it.
Hello Explorer: Maybe Obama could deliver the following speech when he pompously accepts the prize!!!!
OP-ED COLUMNIST
The Peace (Keepers) Prize

By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN
Published: October 10, 2009
The Nobel committee did President Obama no favors by prematurely awarding him its peace prize. As he himself acknowledged, he has not done anything yet on the scale that would normally merit such an award — and it dismays me that the most important prize in the world has been devalued in this way.
[RIGHT]Fred R. Conrad/The New York Times[/RIGHT]
Thomas L. Friedman

Go to Columnist Page »

Related

Times Topics: Nobel Prizes

It is not the president’s fault, though, that the Europeans are so relieved at his style of leadership, in contrast to that of his predecessor, that they want to do all they can to validate and encourage it. I thought the president showed great grace in accepting the prize not for himself but “as an affirmation of American leadership on behalf of aspirations held by people in all nations.”
All that said, I hope Mr. Obama will take this instinct a step further when he travels to Oslo on Dec. 10 for the peace prize ceremony. Here is the speech I hope he will give:

“Let me begin by thanking the Nobel committee for awarding me this prize, the highest award to which any statesman can aspire. As I said on the day it was announced, ‘I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who’ve been honored by this prize.’ Therefore, upon reflection, I cannot accept this award on my behalf at all.
“But I will accept it on behalf of the most important peacekeepers in the world for the last century — the men and women of the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps.
“I will accept this award on behalf of the American soldiers who landed on Omaha Beach on June 6, 1944, to liberate Europe from the grip of Nazi fascism. I will accept this award on behalf of the American soldiers and sailors who fought on the high seas and forlorn islands in the Pacific to free East Asia from Japanese tyranny in the Second World War.
“I will accept this award on behalf of the American airmen who in June 1948 broke the Soviet blockade of Berlin with an airlift of food and fuel so that West Berliners could continue to live free. I will accept this award on behalf of the tens of thousands of American soldiers who protected Europe from Communist dictatorship throughout the 50 years of the cold war.
“I will accept this award on behalf of the American soldiers who stand guard today at outposts in the mountains and deserts of Afghanistan to give that country, and particularly its women and girls, a chance to live a decent life free from the Taliban’s religious totalitarianism.
“I will accept this award on behalf of the American men and women who are still on patrol today in Iraq, helping to protect Baghdad’s fledgling government as it tries to organize the rarest of things in that country and that region — another free and fair election.
“I will accept this award on behalf of the thousands of American soldiers who today help protect a free and Democratic South Korea from an unfree and Communist North Korea.
“I will accept this award on behalf of all the American men and women soldiers who have gone on repeated humanitarian rescue missions after earthquakes and floods from the mountains of Pakistan to the coasts of Indonesia. I will accept this award on behalf of American soldiers who serve in the peacekeeping force in the Sinai desert that has kept relations between Egypt and Israel stable ever since the Camp David treaty was signed.
“I will accept this award on behalf of all the American airmen and sailors today who keep the sea lanes open and free in the Pacific and Atlantic so world trade can flow unhindered between nations.
“Finally, I will accept this award on behalf of my grandfather, Stanley Dunham, who arrived at Normandy six weeks after D-Day, and on behalf of my great-uncle, Charlie Payne, who was among those soldiers who liberated part of the Nazi concentration camp of Buchenwald.
“Members of the Nobel committee, I accept this award on behalf of all these American men and women soldiers, past and present, because I know — and I want you to know — that there is no peace without peacekeepers.
“Until the words of Isaiah are made true and lasting — and nations never again lift up swords against nations and never learn war anymore — we will need peacekeepers. Lord knows, ours are not perfect, and I have already moved to remedy inexcusable excesses we’ve perpetrated in the war on terrorism.
“But have no doubt, those are the exception. If you want to see the true essence of America, visit any U.S. military outpost in Iraq or Afghanistan. You will meet young men and women of every race and religion who work together as one, far from their families, motivated chiefly by their mission to keep the peace and expand the borders of freedom.
“So for all these reasons — and so you understand that I will never hesitate to call on American soldiers where necessary to take the field against the enemies of peace, tolerance and liberty — I accept this peace prize on behalf of the men and women of the U.S. military: the world’s most important peacekeepers.”

[

Old 10-14-2009, 09:02 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,375,634 times
****Breaking News: Obama wins Heisman!****

After finding out that President Barak Obama watched a football game last weekend, the Heisman committee has announced that they will award the coveted trophy to the new President!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies