Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 07:39 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I owned a business with 27 employees and I can tell you that many are not worth the recent minimum wage hikes.

Many are very valuable and worth the money I could pay them but believe it or not, many were not worth 3.00 per hour at best.

The 3.00 type of people could not think on their own, you had to take the time to lay out every single aspect of the job and had to check on them constantly.

The higher wage employees showed up 15-30 before start time and of course the min wage workers showed up 1 at one minute till start time and prepared to leave 15 minutes before time to go home.

The min wage type employee was not worth the min wage period. People do not realize that a small business owner cannot pay these people to just show up and them not being productive. Each employee has to make you money or they are not needed.

So the facts are this recent hike has a lot to do with the unemployment rate.

Look around, less bank tellers, less people in fast food, less people at grocery stores, less people at the checkouts in the stores etc.

One of our fav places to eat at a local mall cafe court used to have 4-5 employees working on weekends and now you will be lucky to see 2 making your food for you.

We need to drop the min wage down to 3.50 for those people with no skills and for teens who need a part time job. You will see twice as many people employed as you do now as the small businesses then can support the cost because you now have 2 for the price of one. Therefore more production so the business can make more money.
I can see where you are coming from, but people need a living wage regardless. I have cut my bills down so low, and I can barely pay all of them on the current minimum of $7.25 an hour. Any less than that, and I would be in serious trouble. With the $3 an hour you were talking about, that would just cover my rent. What about my food, car insurance, gas, car maintainance, telephone etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 07:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I owned a business with 27 employees and I can tell you that many are not worth the recent minimum wage hikes.

Many are very valuable and worth the money I could pay them but believe it or not, many were not worth 3.00 per hour at best.

The 3.00 type of people could not think on their own, you had to take the time to lay out every single aspect of the job and had to check on them constantly.

The higher wage employees showed up 15-30 before start time and of course the min wage workers showed up 1 at one minute till start time and prepared to leave 15 minutes before time to go home.

The min wage type employee was not worth the min wage period. People do not realize that a small business owner cannot pay these people to just show up and them not being productive. Each employee has to make you money or they are not needed.

So the facts are this recent hike has a lot to do with the unemployment rate.

Look around, less bank tellers, less people in fast food, less people at grocery stores, less people at the checkouts in the stores etc.

One of our fav places to eat at a local mall cafe court used to have 4-5 employees working on weekends and now you will be lucky to see 2 making your food for you.

We need to drop the min wage down to 3.50 for those people with no skills and for teens who need a part time job. You will see twice as many people employed as you do now as the small businesses then can support the cost because you now have 2 for the price of one. Therefore more production so the business can make more money.
Maybe business is down there? Our local mall seems to have a lot fewer cars in the parking lots these days.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:42 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,027,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm really too tired after a long day at work to explain what "chicken and egg" means if you don't already know that.
no prob ill google it and do some research. but speaking plain english would be better and save time. regards

Old 10-09-2009, 07:42 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,411,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
You understand that minimum wage is a mandated minimum for everyone right? So your competitor also has to raise the minimum as well as you. You don't get to opt out of minimum wage.
Yes and the larger grocery chains and restaurants are able to handle the wage increase because they have a decent volume of customers. This is not the case with the small competitors. They have fewer customers.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:50 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Yes and the larger grocery chains and restaurants are able to handle the wage increase because they have a decent volume of customers. This is not the case with the small competitors. They have fewer customers.
On the other hand if I am not mistaken many small superettes are family owned and operated and thus impervious to wage increases. In their case a rise in the minimum wage would be beneficial as it would cause their competitors costs to rise, but not theirs.

For example, the small grocery store my grandfather co-owned was impervious to any minimum wage laws because the employees/owners consisted of him, his brother, their father, and him and his brother's kids. From what I have heard many small groceries are operated like that, by a family and as such minimum wage laws really do not apply in their cases.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:54 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,411,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
On the other hand if I am not mistaken many small superettes are family owned and opperated and thus impervious to wage increases. In their case a rise in the minimum wage would be beneficial as it would cause their competitors costs to rise, but not theirs.
Not always. Sometimes Mom and Dad stay here while the kids move on to bigger and better things. Are you suggesting that it is appropriate for small family owned businesses to circumvent the minimum wage law?

I ask this because I just hired a woman who was laid off from a Family Practice office because the doctor brought in some nieces and nephews. She was told that "Doctor has family that can do this job." She was one of four employees who were laid off. It is my understanding that the two people hired to replace the medical assistants have no training whatsoever. Yikes!

Old 10-09-2009, 07:56 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,304,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I can see where you are coming from, but people need a living wage regardless. I have cut my bills down so low, and I can barely pay all of them on the current minimum of $7.25 an hour. Any less than that, and I would be in serious trouble. With the $3 an hour you were talking about, that would just cover my rent. What about my food, car insurance, gas, car maintainance, telephone etc?

It is your responsibility to obtain the skills necessary to earn a living.

It is not the employers responsibility to pay you more then you are worth.

( not meaning you )

People need to work harder to obtain some skill or knowledge that pays them more money to live on.

Everyone has some kind of skill that needs to be tapped into.

Everyone should make what they are of value to the employer and not be regulated by the government.

I understand where you are coming from but as a former business owner it was not right for me to have to pay someone 6.00 per hour when they are only worth 3.00 per hour to me.

Those employee need to kick it up a notch and become more productive or more of a value to a business so they can earn raises etc.

3.50 per hour would be for people who have no skills or value to a business other then the 3.50.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:58 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,304,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Maybe business is down there? Our local mall seems to have a lot fewer cars in the parking lots these days.

Business is down everywhere no matter where you go.

When I go back to my hometown to visit parents and inlaws the parking lots are almost empty.

No one is spending any money right now.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:59 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Not always. Sometimes Mom and Dad stay here while the kids move on to bigger and better things. Are you suggesting that it is appropriate for small family owned businesses to circumvent the minimum wage law?
No simply that it doesn't apply. The owners, are well owners, and since their employees are often their kids and parents are entitled to the wages their kids earn until the age of 18 in most if not all states, then minimum wage is moot.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Those small business owners are the lifeblood of new job creation.
Several that I know of had to lay off folks and just do the work themselves.
Work itself slowed down and they couldn't afford to keep employees after the rate hike.

It's just a fact of doing business. Revenue - expense = profit
If your revenue goes down but your expense goes up..then something has to give.

Even big companies have cut back.
The Target by me has 24 registers (super Target) but only 2 are ever opened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies