Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 02:39 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
Most young people are liberal because they're naive, what is called "liberalism" in modern fashion is a fantasy ideology. It's not real, and it's completely different from true liberalism AKA "Classical Liberalism" which is what the Founding Fathers were and what the conservatives of today are. You can teach "liberalism", and many Universities do, but you cannot teach "conservativsm" because it's not an ideology, it's simply how the world is, it's simply what works.

When people get older, they get wiser, and when that happens they begin to abandon their youthful idealism and get a better grasp on the world. They also pay taxes, unlike most young people who pay little to none. Liberals tend to exist in a bubble, they hang out in the liberal University with their Liberal Professors and their Liberal Colleagues, they work in Liberal Hollywood where they party with rich Liberal Celebs, they work in the Liberal Media with other Liberals, they don't interact with anyone whose not a Liberal because they pompously think that anyone who doesn't share their view is not "progressive" or is backwards. It's a bit hypocritical for a group of people who claim to be open minded and tolerant, as they often behave otherwise.
That was a whole lot of just blah blah blah.

I actually used to be a republican when I was young.....don't ask me why. Then, I got an education, started seeing what was important to me, started getting out into society talking with others, hearing different people's stories/circumstances/situations, became friends with many different socioeconomic levels & I realized how horribly rude, uncaring & insensitive republicans really are. I don't agree with basically any of their views so why on earth would I even want to align myself with such a party? No thanks, I wised up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 02:56 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
That was a whole lot of just blah blah blah.

I actually used to be a republican when I was young.....don't ask me why. Then, I got an education, started seeing what was important to me, started getting out into society talking with others, hearing different people's stories/circumstances/situations, became friends with many different socioeconomic levels & I realized how horribly rude, uncaring & insensitive republicans really are. I don't agree with basically any of their views so why on earth would I even want to align myself with such a party? No thanks, I wised up.
That's fine. I never said people didn't start off as conservatives and become liberals later. I don't care if someone is a liberal, I don't care if someone expresses a liberal point of view, my feelings don't get hurt, I do not get offended, I may disagree with them but that's all it is, a disagreement. That is a fundamental difference I have noticed between conservatives and liberals, many liberals for some reason assume everyone they interact with is also a liberal, and when they find out someone isn't they get all offended and upset. This can be seen with a liberal finding out someone disagrees with gay marriage, "You're a bigot!" they'll yell. Or abortion, "You're anti-woman!". Or illegal immigration, "You're a racist!". Why jump to such irrational conclusions? Because liberalism is not rational, it's an emotion. It's like reading Harry Potter and thinking that it applies to real life, it's fantasy, not reality.

I identify as a Conservative with a Libertarian mindset, I don't care if you're gay, smoke pot, or even worship Satan. I may disagree with such things but what you do is none of my business as long as it's not hurting anybody and as long as you're not trying to push it onto me. This is the true mindset of tolerance, as opposed to the faux tolerance so often espoused by liberals. Tolerance only for those you agree with is not tolerance at all.

There are good liberals and bad liberals, just like there are good conservatives and bad conservatives. I wish people could sit down and have an honest discussion together without getting upset and offended simply because someone happens to disagree with them. I blame this on Political Correctness, it's responsible for turning our nation into sissy cowards where EVERYONE get's their feelings hurt over EVERYTHING! The result is nobody talks to one another anymore, and if we're not communicating then we can't work together to fix our nation.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:57 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
I was fairly liberal, way more than my parents at least, until I went off to college and found out what they thought of straight, white, American males.
What do straight, white American male liberals think about it?

Old 06-04-2015, 06:58 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,441,759 times
Being on "one political side" or "the other" is a sad testimony to the failure of one's IQ.

Being an independent thinker and judging situations on a case by case basis - this is where an intelligent, decent human being should strive to be. It is always a process, there will always be millions of nuances, and no pre-packaged, whole-sale ideology will ever lead to anywhere good.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:16 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,868,942 times
"Parties" are engaged in context control.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:21 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,767 times
I think many conservatives were young and liberal at one time. It's amazing how time and experience can change your views.
This is something young liberals won't understand until they age and get a perspective than can only be achieved with getting older.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:22 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardone View Post
“Any 20 year-old who isn't a liberal doesn't have a heart, and any 40 year-old who isn't a conservative doesn't have a brain.”
- Winston Churchill

If you had been a rightist or a leftist, then later on changed to the other side, why, and how was the process?

Discuss.
The problem is that he never said it.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:31 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
I am the outlier ... back when I was 20 I was much more conservative than I am today at 27. At that time we were beginning to see the rise of the Tea Party and I was a big supporter. I have found myself becoming more and more of a moderate Republican as I get older.

I don't think it's so much that younger people are "liberal" but rather that they are naive and idealistic. This is especially a problem among my fellow mellenials who by and large expect to walk off the streets into a middle management corner office job, and don't even get me started on the student loans. I have friends who expect their student loans to be 'erased'. Do they not understand what a loan is?

Old 06-04-2015, 12:37 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
I realise as i got older everybody wants something for free, well i cant sfford free i have to hang on to whst i got for me, i have to conserved ehat i have. When i was young it was wine woman snd song now its beer the old lady and radio

Old 06-04-2015, 03:17 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,699 times
The major change for me was being shown that my beliefs were contradictory. I was educated on the importance of beginning with first principles and having everything stem logically from those principles. Things became much clearer and more consistent, and I was able to see the blind spots I couldn't previously see. It also makes it much easier to understand issues when your core beliefs are clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies