U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2009, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Savannah, GA
23 posts, read 43,143 times
Reputation: 33

Advertisements

“Any 20 year-old who isn't a liberal doesn't have a heart, and any 40 year-old who isn't a conservative doesn't have a brain.”
- Winston Churchill

If you had been a rightist or a leftist, then later on changed to the other side, why, and how was the process?

Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2009, 03:41 PM
 
19,216 posts, read 12,986,916 times
Reputation: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardone View Post
“Any 20 year-old who isn't a liberal doesn't have a heart, and any 40 year-old who isn't a conservative doesn't have a brain.”
- Winston Churchill
“Any 20 year-old who isn't a liberal doesn't have a heart, and any 40 year-old who isn't a conservative doesn't have any money.” - Ergohead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2009, 03:44 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
985 posts, read 2,590,947 times
Reputation: 824
I was a teen in the 70"s..a hippie for sure (minus all the drug use). So I was somewhat liberal, especially with the vietnam war.....became a little bit more conservative when I became an adult. But what woke me up was 9/11...my head was in the sand. I was busy raising kids. I knew I needed to pay more attention to my world around me. I am now 100% a conservative...I listened to both sides. I am on the side of those who will keep me and my family safe. Good post sardone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2009, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Arizona
13,090 posts, read 7,809,399 times
Reputation: 6971
One morning I woke up and realized I had two kids, a mortgage and my pot dealer got busted, never to be seen again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2009, 04:07 PM
 
19,216 posts, read 12,986,916 times
Reputation: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
I was a teen in the 70"s..a hippie for sure (minus all the drug use). So I was somewhat liberal, especially with the vietnam war.....became a little bit more conservative when I became an adult. But what woke me up was 9/11...my head was in the sand. I was busy raising kids. I knew I needed to pay more attention to my world around me. I am now 100% a conservative...I listened to both sides. I am on the side of those who will keep me and my family safe. Good post sardone.
Don't worry - Obama WILL keep you safe from George Bush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2009, 04:14 PM
 
19,216 posts, read 12,986,916 times
Reputation: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
I was a teen in the 70"s..a hippie for sure (minus all the drug use). So I was somewhat liberal, especially with the vietnam war.....became a little bit more conservative when I became an adult. But what woke me up was 9/11...my head was in the sand. I was busy raising kids. I knew I needed to pay more attention to my world around me. I am now 100% a conservative...I listened to both sides. I am on the side of those who will keep me and my family safe. Good post sardone.

I was a teen in the 60"s..a hippie for sure. So, I took a trip, and I never really . . uh . . well . . you know . . landed.

So, I avoid windmills at all costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2009, 04:25 PM
 
Location: San Jose
1,857 posts, read 2,093,219 times
Reputation: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardone View Post
“Any 20 year-old who isn't a liberal doesn't have a heart, and any 40 year-old who isn't a conservative doesn't have a brain.”
- Winston Churchill

If you had been a rightist or a leftist, then later on changed to the other side, why, and how was the process?

Discuss.
I was pretty conservative when I was in high school and college. I went to Grove City College which is a very conservative school and fits in very well with today's right wing philosophy. I graduated from college in 1972 so this was during the Viet Nam war era. While I didn't strongly support the war, I wasn't in demonstrations either. I voted for Nixon and Ford. I learned towards the financially conservative ideas but wasn't a passionate promoter of it. But at the same time, I wasn't very religious and I suppose was a social liberal. But back then, Republicans didn't seem to preach morals or values so much as they do now.

But as time has passed, I've become more and more liberal. I won't drag this out, but the first thing that turned me off to Republicans was Reagan. I didn't like it when he challenged Ford and I really didn't like his courting of the evangelical right. I used to watch the 700 Club and other shows of those ilk and I was appalled at the sleazy money grubbing ways of the hosts. And then Reagan took them under his wing. So, I suppose my social liberal feelings started taking over the financial conservative side of me.

To wrap up, witnessing how corps treat employees (I've worked for the same company for 32 years and is pretty good so I'm not thinking so much of my employer), the greed and profit only motive shown by Wall Street and banking, the callousness of insurance companies and people like Betsy McCaughy, Dick Army and Tim Phillips, and finally... the Bush administration (Roberto Gonzales, Monica Goodling, Dick Cheney, Karl Rove, et al) have all pushed my sympathies to the left/liberal side of the political world.

So, I don't think many folks grow more liberal as they age, but I have.

Last edited by Bagger; 10-10-2009 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: Deleted repeated sentence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2009, 04:33 PM
 
5,767 posts, read 10,300,391 times
Reputation: 3813
I don't think the classical British political conservatism of the early 20th century (which Churchill was talking about) bears much similarity to the "liberal" and "conservative" factions of American politics today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2009, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Arizona
13,090 posts, read 7,809,399 times
Reputation: 6971
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I don't think the classical British political conservatism of the early 20th century (which Churchill was talking about) bears much similarity to the "liberal" and "conservative" factions of American politics today.
Great point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,995 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Reputation: 33059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
I was pretty conservative when I was in high school and college. I went to Grove City College which is a very conservative school and fits in very well with today's right wing philosophy. I graduated from college in 1972 so this was during the Viet Nam war era. While I didn't strongly support the war, I wasn't in demonstrations either. I voted for Nixon and Ford. I learned towards the financially conservative ideas but wasn't a passionate promoter of it. But at the same time, I wasn't very religious and I suppose was a social liberal. But back then, Republicans didn't seem to preach morals or values so much as they do now.

But as time has passed, I've become more and more liberal. I won't drag this out, but the first thing that turned me off to Republicans was Reagan. I didn't like it when he challenged Ford and I really didn't like his courting of the evangelical right. I used to watch the 700 Club and other shows of those ilk and I was appalled at the sleazy money grubbing ways of the hosts. And then Reagan took them under his wing. So, I suppose my social liberal feelings started taking over the financial conservative side of me.

To wrap up, witnessing how corps treat employees (I've worked for the same company for 32 years and is pretty good so I'm not thinking so much of my employer), the greed and profit only motive shown by Wall Street and banking, the callousness of insurance companies and people like Betsy McCaughy, Dick Army and Tim Phillips, and finally... the Bush administration (Roberto Gonzales, Monica Goodling, Dick Cheney, Karl Rove, et al) have all pushed my sympathies to the left/liberal side of the political world.

So, I don't think many folks grow more liberal as they age, but I have.
Goodness, bagger, our paths may have crossed back in our college days! I went to Pitt and graduated in 1970, a year ahead of most of my high school classmates. Anyway, I was pretty conservative when I arrived there and would have voted for Nixon in 1968 if I had been old enough to vote. (Had to be 21 at the time.) However, the Viet Nam war and the burgeoning women's movement changed me, and by graduation, I was pretty liberal. Haven't changed a whole lot since then. Raising my kids made me a little more conservative socially (not so hot on teen sex, drinking, etc) but I still believe in the "brotherhood" (sic) of all people. My nursing instructors were the first to introduce the idea that "health care is a right" to me, back in the fall of 1968. On that issue, I haven't wavered. We had a lot of military recruiters coming to talk to my nursing class back then, trying to convince us to join up. Since we were taught that every human being deserved health care, I felt I could justify caring for soldiers despite my anti-war views. However, I did not join the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top