Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 12:13 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times

Advertisements

Wow. The last time I heard the term "N...-rig it" was in the 70s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 12:32 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Wow. The last time I heard the term "N...-rig it" was in the 70s.
You do live a protected life. It hasn't been anywhere near that long since I heard that word used, but that may be because the only black people in my town are married to whites who were born and raised here. I don't think that many here would use the word around them because they don't want to hurt their feelings. The wannabe rappers may use the words when imitating their black rapper heroes, though.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:47 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times
It just is incredible that anyone would use it in public, much less put it on a billboard. Even most racists know not to speak that way in public. Yes, the rappers and wannabes use the "n" word. Not right, IMO.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:20 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,861,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Your definition of 'friend' must be very different than mine.
Yeah....his friend's probably are not woosies...with a capital P.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:58 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,392 times
The 'N Word' is losing it's punch as is the charge of racism.

- Reel

Old 10-11-2009, 06:01 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
Yeah....his friend's probably are not woosies...with a capital P.
Nice. So decent, respectable, hard working people (of any race) who don't deride each other with vulgarities are now deserving of the above title?
Some other differences, my friends don't smack around their spouse or children, they build them up instead of call them all sorts of vulgar, insulting names, they help with homework and are involved with school and extracurricular activities, they have jobs and provide for their families, they work in local charities in order to build stronger communities, they don't do drugs or think that killing people is an acceptable social pastime, they don't glorify guns and violence or abuse of women, they don't feel they are entitled to things they don't earn and even then they know they are blessed for what they have. Their kids won't drop out of school and become leeches on society, they won't have babies when they are 15, they won't ever be part of a street fight where a decent kid get beaten to death with railroad ties.

Yeah, I think I'll keep my friends, thanks. Good luck with yours.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:32 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,861,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Nice. So decent, respectable, hard working people (of any race) who don't deride each other with vulgarities are now deserving of the above title?
Some other differences, my friends don't smack around their spouse or children, they build them up instead of call them all sorts of vulgar, insulting names, they help with homework and are involved with school and extracurricular activities, they have jobs and provide for their families, they work in local charities in order to build stronger communities, they don't do drugs or think that killing people is an acceptable social pastime, they don't glorify guns and violence or abuse of women, they don't feel they are entitled to things they don't earn and even then they know they are blessed for what they have. Their kids won't drop out of school and become leeches on society, they won't have babies when they are 15, they won't ever be part of a street fight where a decent kid get beaten to death with railroad ties.

Yeah, I think I'll keep my friends, thanks. Good luck with yours.
Well jolly good for you. Here, have a cookie.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:11 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"I've used the N-word most of my life and there is different ways to put your opinion up, but that's just the words I choose to use," owner Patrick Lanzo told WGCL. "I've put signs up for 22 years. ... I've put all kinds of political signs up."

Despite the presence of a mannequin clad in a Ku Klux Klan outfit standing amid the pool tables, Lanzo maintained he's no a racist. The bar has pictures of Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King Jr. on the walls, he pointed out, and he also showed a reporter his 2005 NAACP membership card.
"This latest ploy for attention by Mr. Lanzo is not surprising. What is of concern, however, is the total lack of leadership and action from the elected officials of Paulding County, who repeatedly have allowed this type of toxic public display," the statement [from the local NAACP chapter] read.
Billboard outside Georgia restaurant uses N-word to deride Obama health care policy plan

The ACLU would defend Mr Lanzo's right to free speech. Is the NAACP wrong to criticize?
No, the NAACP is not wrong to criticize as it can be considered a billboard that is based on hate or can incite violence.

Reading the posts concerning rappers using the word so everyone should be able to...if that is the thought then go ahead and use it but when you do I hope that you are utilzing it in the same context. I don't use the word but I have heard Blacks, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and Whites utilize it but they have all been immersed in the hip hop culture. If my boss turned around and used that word it would be highly offensive. If someone called me that as I was walking down the street (as it has been), it would be highly offensive because it would be used to degrade me.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely do not agree with the usage of the word because of the history behind it but it amazes me how some people will not or cannot make the distinction between the historical context and the hip hop context.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:49 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
All ethnic/nationalities have slang to describe a person concidered low life ignoranr, uneducated, etc. If you cannot use one, then you cannot use any.

This site is an excellent example. The use of the "n" word is not allowed. But red neck, cracker, hillbilly, wop, slope *****, mik, etc. are acceptable.

It is a classic example of a double standard.

All or nothing.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:25 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
It's Georgia, what were you expecting?

good grief
what a narrow minded statement, but you are free to make it
and as a resident of the city of Atlanta, I welcome you to come and visit
and see what kind of folks live here
we are a melting pot of all races and personally I am proud to live here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies