Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 03:54 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times

Advertisements

"I've used the N-word most of my life and there is different ways to put your opinion up, but that's just the words I choose to use," owner Patrick Lanzo told WGCL. "I've put signs up for 22 years. ... I've put all kinds of political signs up."

Despite the presence of a mannequin clad in a Ku Klux Klan outfit standing amid the pool tables, Lanzo maintained he's no a racist. The bar has pictures of Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King Jr. on the walls, he pointed out, and he also showed a reporter his 2005 NAACP membership card.
"This latest ploy for attention by Mr. Lanzo is not surprising. What is of concern, however, is the total lack of leadership and action from the elected officials of Paulding County, who repeatedly have allowed this type of toxic public display," the statement [from the local NAACP chapter] read.
Billboard outside Georgia restaurant uses N-word to deride Obama health care policy plan

The ACLU would defend Mr Lanzo's right to free speech. Is the NAACP wrong to criticize?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 04:17 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,860,902 times
Since the hip hop and rap artists rehabilitated the 'N' word it's everyone's to use now. I say go for it.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:49 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,642 times
Hip Hop artist use the word, so isn't it OK????

Old 10-10-2009, 04:58 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Both sides, the ACLU and NAACP are playing their raison d'etres as they should be.

Is the guy guilty of anything? Nah, just ignorance and last I heard, that wasn't against the law.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:58 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
Since the hip hop and rap artists rehabilitated the 'N' word it's everyone's to use now. I say go for it.
Using your rationale, Michael Richards shouldn't have had to endure so much criticism.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:08 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

"This latest ploy for attention by Mr. Lanzo is not surprising. What is of concern, however, is the total lack of leadership and action from the elected officials of Paulding County, who repeatedly have allowed this type of toxic public display," the statement [from the local NAACP chapter] read.
Billboard outside Georgia restaurant uses N-word to deride Obama health care policy plan

The ACLU would defend Mr Lanzo's right to free speech. Is the NAACP wrong to criticize?
So let me get this straight....using the N word in a sign like this is a 'toxic public display' and yet many in the black community throw around the N word like it's no big deal. Not only that, the gangster rap music and lifestyle glorify violence, denigration of women, murder of cops and other gang members, drugs, guns......etc. Before I consider the opinion of the NAACP on the matter of this sign I'd like to see their opinion of the words/actions that are accepted within so many black communities.

In my entire life (and I'm not going to say just how long....but more than long enough) I've ONLY ever heard that word spoken by blacks. And I grew up with hicks and have since lived in the South for over 15 years.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:14 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,158 times
Quote:
"I've used the N-word most of my life and there is different ways to put your opinion up, but that's just the words I choose to use," owner Patrick Lanzo told WGCL. "I've put signs up for 22 years. ... I've put all kinds of political signs up."

Despite the presence of a mannequin clad in a Ku Klux Klan outfit standing amid the pool tables, Lanzo maintained he's no a racist. The bar has pictures of Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King Jr. on the walls, he pointed out, and he also showed a reporter his 2005 NAACP membership card.

His right to use the word, NAACP's right to object or criticize.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:20 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,860,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Using your rationale, Michael Richards shouldn't have had to endure so much criticism.
That's exactly right.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:23 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:

It's Georgia, what were you expecting?

Old 10-10-2009, 06:27 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,140,797 times
Quote:

All you have to do is look at the low life owners of the sign, the readers and the type of freinds they probably have and you will get the complete picture of what kind of people (sub-humans) they are. Down there I would have to say it reads KKK all over the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies