Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 02:01 AM

2,250 posts, read 1,395,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
+1

Thank you, I can't believe how many people are saying its genetic. Its purely a cultural thing. Unfortunately our culture has created a cycle of poverty that is very tough to break.
When I said genetic, I meant as in: They are taught from such a young age to be like that, it might as well be genetic.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:10 AM

11,249 posts, read 11,022,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Dude View Post
When I said genetic, I meant as in: They are taught from such a young age to be like that, it might as well be genetic.
It's not that they are "taught" this kind of behavior. They have no positive role models to look up to. See my previous post from a couple pages back. When the closest thing to a dad in your life is 'Ol Dirty Bastard, this is how one usually ends up.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:10 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,268,313 times
I attribute a lot of it to the media too, movies, tv, and music that represent a deranged take of black culture which influences black, brown, and white kids to act like hood rats as if this is normal behavior. It doesn't help that their are few good role models around for these kids and especially decent fathers to serve as examples. These kids are their own worst enemies if they only knew it.

It's no wonder that people are afraid of them. They equate inappropriate behavior, often violent, with a way to gain respect and acceptance which couldn't be further from the truth other than from their also disillusioned buddies. As long as they continue to keep themselves down by outrageous acts and disregarding what they need to do to actually fit into society they will be lost and people will steer clear of them. I'd like to see more successful minorities who originated from these communities and who have a less jaded take on life speak up to them in public service announcements on tv. I think that would help.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:11 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Dude View Post
I am 17, I am pretty much stuck here, so yeah I am forced to live here, and I do deal with it.
Ooh..I see . Sorry. Awfully young, but insightful posts.

Hang in there, just stay (mentally) above and away from the knuckleheads.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:16 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Another stupid thread based on stereotypes. This is just as bad as citizenkane's Muslim thread. I got find an incident of racist Whites beating up someone and I could start a thread saying "Why do Whites enjoy beating up Blacks?"

Old 10-11-2009, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Ooh..I see . Sorry. Awfully young, but insightful posts.

Hang in there, just stay (mentally) above and away from the knuckleheads.
It's ok.....Seeing as my pants are where they are supposed to be, I dont listen to the hippity hoppity, and my favorites channels are ESPN,ESPN2,SPEED and CSN Bay Area, and don't like gangs and love cops, I believe I'll be just fine.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Another stupid thread based on stereotypes. This is just as bad as citizenkane's Muslim thread. I got find an incident of racist Whites beating up someone and I could start a thread saying "Why do Whites enjoy beating up Blacks?"
Rodney King?

Old 10-11-2009, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
I'd like to see more successful minorities who originated from these communities and who have a less jaded take on life speak up to them in public service announcements on tv. I think that would help.
Do minority rappers count??? The ones that put these kids in the positions they are in, in the first place.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:08 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Key words: "used to be respectable". Now you say it's a ghetto. My point exactly. Expect these types of people where you live. You're not forced to live there . Move. If you can't, what can I say? Deal with it. (not trying to be cold or anything, but we have choices, and make sacrifices in our lives).

You had me laughing about going up to them though, . Test your luck (on an angry bear or a thug),

Exactly, what do you expect? It's your choice to live there. No one is forcing anyone to live in these areas.

I said cowardness because she has no strengths to tell them what she's saying here. My mother is white (South African/Belgian white woman, 100% caucasian~European ancestry), and she spoke her mind to some teenage thugs, over them fighting in front of her NYC residence (they seem to be coming from school). She called them animals, one of the thugs even apologized, I kid you not, (in NYC ).

Now, my mother...she's something else. She even put two NYPD officers in their place for harassing some black kids once. (that's another story, but that's my mother ).

Well well well what a strong brave hero you are. I would pat you on the back but both your hands are in the way.

Being intellegent and cautous in that situation is in no way cowardly. Why don't you ask any cop what would be the best thing to do. It is beyond stupid to confront anyone displaying those behaviors. Lots of kids carry weapons and lots of kids want to prove" themselves with their cohorts.

Of course you are at least smart enough to realize no one forces someone to live somewhere but finances surely might. I am sure you have thought of that somple truth yourself, huh?

I do not live in any such area but have in the past. It was a beautiful neghborhood util they built a lot of new homes and part of the deal was to include some low income housing. With that came many blacks and hispanics and lots of crime overnight. We sold our home before it lost all it's value. Now I live where there are none of those problems. Zero.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:49 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post

It's not genetic though, it's cultural.

When you meet African people (from Africa) they are incredibly peaceful and friendly usually. Or on almost every other continent for that matter, the black people tend to be very cool, with no thuggishness at all.

The real problem is not with black people. It is with the situation and culture in America.
I agree that culture has something to do with it but don't be so quick to dismiss the genetic influence. Such behavor as described by the OP are social pathologies. People who live in poverty and low income areas lack the intelligence to do otherwise. People live this way because they are unintelligent and not vice versa.

Blacks in this country have an average IQ of about 85. Studies have shown that people with IQ's below 75 are at high risk for poor life outcomes. For people with IQ's between 75 and 90 life is at best an uphill battle.

Studies have shown that low IQ individuals are at high risk for a number of social pathologies such as crime, incarceration, poor academic performace, school drop out, divorce, illegitimacy, unemployment and poverty.

You won't see this kind of pathology in middle or upper class black neighborhoods but you will see plenty of it in lower class black neighborhoods and it follows Section 8 out into the suburbs. This is what the OP speaks of. There are both genetic and cultural forces at work here.

Also, you are incorrect that this problem does not exist in poor black communities in other countries including the countries of Africa. Go check out Rhodesia, South Africa and Haiti. You are also incorrect about immigrants from Africa. I think it's wonderful that all of the folks you have met from Africa are fine people but go check out the Samali gang problem.

- Reel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies