Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 09:20 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Anything I would respond with would be a personal attack and a violation of TOS, because no one who has read the constitution would keep repeating and bumping up the thread, especially considering you think that buying an aspirin is now a job of the government.

Nice cop-out. The fact is you alleged I answered your question with a question, untrue but apparently too difficult for you to understand. But nice try attempting to divert from your baseless allegation. BTW, I bought my own aspirins and just took 2, all your spin was giving me a headache.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 09:29 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
Your premise that all democrats are for more government is flawed.
They just want DIFFERENT government input than republicans. Republicans seem to want more government when it comes to personal behaviors (abortion, gay marriage, prayer in schools, etc.)
Not all republicans care about religion at all, the blue blood types think the religious right should shut up, and never speak again in political matters.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:30 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
BTW, I bought my own aspirins and just took 2
Wow, you are capable of doing something on your own.. Bravo!!!

Old 10-12-2009, 09:33 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Wow, you are capable of doing something on your own.. Bravo!!!

Too bad you're incapable of reading a simple reply and comprehending it wasn't a question. Once again, nice cop-out!

Old 10-12-2009, 09:46 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Pssssssst, hey folks, look up yonder there ^^ see that, its a topic...

Pro-government Democrats, here is your chance.

Lets try to stick to this shall we.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:19 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
Your premise that all democrats are for more government is flawed.
They just want DIFFERENT government input than republicans. Republicans seem to want more government when it comes to personal behaviors (abortion, gay marriage, prayer in schools, etc.)

very true, but all democrats want is more goverment when it comes to social programs, plus the fact that they also want to tax the people more and more.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:15 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Ok, here is the deal... Generally we have two basic views of government among traditional politics. Those in favor of smaller government and those in favor of larger government. Since Democrats now have complete control over Congress and the Executive, here is the Democrats chance to prove the theory that more government is better.

Here is the litmus test for whether or not government is capable of doing what some claim. Now I also expect that one of the arguments will be that the right is doing whatever it can to thwart the lefts efforts and to that I say... tough cookies, what the hell do people expect. With a super majority and the ability for reconciliation process, it should be a non-issue. So here is the chance to prove more government is better, and while I'm not holding my breath that it is, I am eagerly awaiting the results.
I don't think the issue is "more government, thus prove it works" from the the Democrats, but rather a push in a paradigm shift in dealing with many issues with regards to society. Those shifts in thinking take time to absorb. (think of the issue of slavery and civil rights..)

Old 10-12-2009, 11:18 AM

206 posts, read 195,620 times
what about pro corporate slavery?

Old 10-12-2009, 12:24 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I would add though, that I happen to think our form and make up of government is pretty sound, but the trouble lay with those people who make up government, their ethics, morality, and sense of duty to serve the national public interests, which in my opinion has been purchased by special interests, lobbyist, and corporate influence.
This is kind of contradictory isn't it? The reason people are buying the government is because it's been designed to operate that way over the last century or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
very true, but all democrats want is more goverment when it comes to social programs, plus the fact that they also want to tax the people more and more.
The right in America is really no different, just spending on different programs.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:21 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You do want the government to intervene, everything you've said is about government intervening. Even if you want the federal government out of it, you want government at some level to enforce your agenda.

Whether a fetus is a person or not, you want government at some level to say that abortion is murder.

You want government to uphold one definition of marriage as opposed to any other definitions.

You want to be free to introduce your religion into public venues, and you want the government to defend you in doing so, whether it's at the expense of other people's freedom of religion or not.

You say you want less government, but there is a difference between wanting less government, period, and wanting less government to interfere with you and how you want things to be.
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies