Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2009, 07:59 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I disagree. I think that teachers need to keep personal opinions out of the classroom.
Is that practical or reasonable? What if a student asks the teacher his/her opinion on the matter? A teacher should be allowed to express his ideas and opinions to get the students to think about the subject and discuss it. The students don't have to agree or disagree with the teacher (and the teacher should not demand or expect agreement or disagreement).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 08:01 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Is that practical or reasonable? What if a student asks the teacher his/her opinion on the matter? A teacher should be allowed to express his ideas and opinions to get the students to think about the subject and discuss it. The students don't have to agree or disagree with the teacher (and the teacher should not demand or expect agreement or disagreement).
Yes, it is practical and reasonable. A good teacher should be able to animate a discussion without polluting it with his/her own ideas. I gave an excellent example of this in the first page of this discussion.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is practical and reasonable. A good teacher should be able to animate a discussion without polluting it with his/her own ideas. I gave an excellent example of this in the first page of this discussion.
What happens if the student asks the teacher about his opinion? What if the student genuinely wants to know? The teacher should be able and willing to express his ideas/opinions. Like I stated, the student does not have to accept the teacher's opinion - I see nothing wrong with an open discussion.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:08 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,344,175 times
So it seems that still today, we have people who still believe that Columbus actually landed on what is now the United States and he 'discovered' America and want to pass that on to children.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:10 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
What happens if the student asks the teacher about his opinion? What if the student genuinely wants to know?
See post #17 for an excellent answer to that one.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:12 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,154 times
Quote:
And I provided you with a link showing that there have been many discoveries in archaeology since 1950...is that material to be left out of the history books because we have an emotional attachment to Columbus? The link also mentions the ruins in Newfoundland that shows there were European people here before Columbus "found" it. This has nothing to do with the teacher's personal opinion...this same material has been on Discovery, History Channel, and The Learning Channel, as well as in numerous magazines...it is scientific fact. Are you advocating that we ignore advances in the various fields of study for sentimental reasons???

Old 10-12-2009, 08:13 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,344,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
And I provided you with a link showing that there have been many discoveries in archaeology since 1950...is that material to be left out of the history books because we have an emotional attachment to Columbus? The link also mentions the ruins in Newfoundland that shows there were European people here before Columbus "found" it. This has nothing to do with the teacher's personal opinion...this same material has been on Discovery, History Channel, and The Learning Channel, as well as in numerous magazines...it is scientific fact. Are you advocating that we ignore advances in the various fields of study for sentimental reasons???

If it's not on FoxNews, it's not true.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
See post #17 for an excellent answer to that one.
That is an exception. Should it be a rule? I think not. Besides, if the student genuinely wants to know, should he be stonewalled with silence? I think not.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:49 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
If it's not on FoxNews, it's not true.
I always forget that part...But bless you for even reading my post! Clearly it's easy for people to ignore reality, or at least skip over it.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:04 PM

61 posts, read 78,016 times
The Aztecs and other Indian cultures practised cannibalism before the Catholics showed up in the New World to preach the Gospel. Missions were sanctuaries which is alot more than the warring amerindians offerred each other. The Indians were always at war with each other, not some peaceful idyllic peoples, that's revisionist history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies