U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2009, 12:06 PM

693 posts, read 653,701 times

Advertisements

Cub Scout's "Weapon" Earns him Suspension - CBS News

Are people this dumb? That 40 pound Cub Scout is a real terror. The part about the third grade girl bringing a knife to school to cut her birthday cake and getting suspended for a year...priceless.

NO COMMON SENSE ANYMORE! No f-ing wonder things are the way they are in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 12:11 PM

69,372 posts, read 55,544,751 times
My son was suspended in kindergarden for taking a squirt gun to school for "show n tell". The school told me that per their policy, they should have called the police and filed a police report.

Response my son asked was "its a toy, not real, you dont know the difference?".. Again, he was 5...

Old 10-12-2009, 12:23 PM

1,815 posts, read 2,092,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
My son was suspended in kindergarden for taking a squirt gun to school for "show n tell". The school told me that per their policy, they should have called the police and filed a police report.

Response my son asked was "its a toy, not real, you dont know the difference?".. Again, he was 5...
Both of these stories are ridiculous! We are living in a gestapo-like society, run by our unconsitutional government (thanks libs/hypocrites!).

Old 10-12-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

Freakin' idiots! This country has been wussified so bad it's pathetic. They could have a kid who disrupts class daily and NEVER do anything to that kid. A kid brings a squirt gun to school...they kick him out. Dumb!

Old 10-12-2009, 12:32 PM

3,408 posts, read 3,582,349 times
Zero-Tolerance policies have been implemented by decision making authorities, so they don't actually have to make decisions. Just another example of how alot of people are showing cerebral laziness

Old 10-12-2009, 12:40 PM

7,090 posts, read 10,768,708 times
Okay, the squirt gun is dumb but I can see the knife. Kid walks in, teacher sees it and lets him/her go their way because "It's to cut a birthday cake"...then kids proceeds to stab another kid, instant lawsuit and screaming parents. Not worth a year suspension though, that psychotic.

I can see preventing things that might be a bit suspicious to carry around, which makes me think of an old incident. Kid brought in an axe handle (yeah, there were bats around but they were kept under supervision) for shop class...got behind another kid and proceeded to hammer the hell out of him, nearly killed him. Pretty safe school as well, one of the best in the state, but you coop a couple thousand people up together and force them to get along some crack and best not let them have something around to do something with it. Those punishments are way too much though, especially if something is not explicitly spelled out.

The real problem are the enforced punishments. I know when I was a kid many punishments were often so light it wasn't even a slap on the wrist in some cases, now they get so harsh it's just the opposite extreme that even minor infractions get dealt the harshest punishments. There needs to be some leeway for reason without just not dealing with the problem.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:04 PM

30,708 posts, read 33,513,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Zero-Tolerance policies have been implemented by decision making authorities, so they don't actually have to make decisions. Just another example of how alot of people are showing cerebral laziness
I completely agree.

Zero Tolerance laws scare people so much that they act irrationally to cover their own butt's.

This is why I am against ANY LAW or RULE that takes the ability to make exceptions out of our hands.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Okay, the squirt gun is dumb but I can see the knife. Kid walks in, teacher sees it and lets him/her go their way because "It's to cut a birthday cake"...then kids proceeds to stab another kid, instant lawsuit and screaming parents. Not worth a year suspension though, that psychotic.

I can see preventing things that might be a bit suspicious to carry around, which makes me think of an old incident. Kid brought in an axe handle (yeah, there were bats around but they were kept under supervision) for shop class...got behind another kid and proceeded to hammer the hell out of him, nearly killed him. Pretty safe school as well, one of the best in the state, but you coop a couple thousand people up together and force them to get along some crack and best not let them have something around to do something with it. Those punishments are way too much though, especially if something is not explicitly spelled out.

The real problem are the enforced punishments. I know when I was a kid many punishments were often so light it wasn't even a slap on the wrist in some cases, now they get so harsh it's just the opposite extreme that even minor infractions get dealt the harshest punishments. There needs to be some leeway for reason without just not dealing with the problem.
Take the knife away until school is over. Have the kids parent come in, give them the knife and tell them they can't bring knives to school. Problem solved. The squirt gun thing is just dumb no matter which way you dice it. A kid could get stabbed to death with a pencil, a compass, etc. These are little kids. I can see if kids maliciously bring a weapon to school for no reason other than to have them. The one little kids brings his boy scout knife to school for show and tell (essentially), and the 3rd grader brings a knife that GRANDMA sends to cut birthday cake. Dumb!

Danger! Danger! Danger! Danger!

Old 10-12-2009, 01:10 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,347,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I completely agree.

Zero Tolerance laws scare people so much that they act irrationally to cover their own butt's.

This is why I am against ANY LAW or RULE that takes the ability to make exceptions out of our hands.

I also agree.

The intention is to remove thought and decision making from the process. This is partly to cover liability but there is also an element of political correctness gone mad.

And the disease is spreading .... like me, a mid 50s, greying, pot-bellied male getting carded when I try to buy a beer at the airport. I mean, I can pretend to be flattered, but that doesn't change the fact that it is ridiculous.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:16 PM

30,708 posts, read 33,513,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I also agree.

The intention is to remove thought and decision making from the process. This is partly to cover liability but there is also an element of political correctness gone mad.

And the disease is spreading .... like me, a mid 50s, greying, pot-bellied male getting carded when I try to buy a beer at the airport. I mean, I can pretend to be flattered, but that doesn't change the fact that it is ridiculous.
Hahahaha! I was carded a few weeks ago at Target when I bought compressed air to clean my keyboard and I'm 50. The clerk said they couldn't physically complete the transaction without swiping my DL or something. I don't know if they have the ability to override it or if the register just won't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies