Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 04:09 PM

606 posts, read 1,234,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
Hmmm... I still hear of hundreds of people losing their jobs. Stores closing down. People not being able to pay bills.. Sounds like BS to me. Trust I want this damn recession to be over already, but it's not.
Agreed!
I have a friend in tears this morning because her hours have been drastically cut and she is unable to help out her daughter who is suffering as well, cause of this damn economy
My best friend is being treated like **** at work by her boss because this boss knows that there are at least 500 people waiting for my best friend's job.
My other roommate sits at home day after day when one of his best friends' who is his boss, can not give him hours cause it is dead as a nail at his place of business.
I sit at home day after day waiting for a responce from employers for a job.
The highlight of my day is being able to splurg on Dial Antibacterial soap instead of that cheap **** soap at the dollar tree.
All true stories!!!!
So yeah I would say that this news is total BULL***T!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 04:09 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
If it's already over then it was not the worst recession since the depression.
Apparently the severity of a recession is not measured by it's duration, but possibly by number of people and businesses affected (how widespread), and how much action is required by the government to reverse it's course.

I don't know this ... just guessing.

Last edited by RD5050; 10-12-2009 at 04:29 PM..

Old 10-12-2009, 04:11 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
The article answers your question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by story
The survey predicted that the unemployment rate will rise to 10 percent in the first quarter of 2010 and edge down to 9.5 percent by the end of that year. The labor market was not expected to regain most of the jobs destroyed in the recession until 2012 or beyond.
Employment numbers have nothing to do with "recession", but if it did, an increase in unemployment, and then a decrease down to 9.5% NEXT year, if accurate, means that we are no where near the end of the recession.

If they arent working, they cant be spending to increase the GDP..

Old 10-12-2009, 04:23 PM

301 posts, read 208,470 times
The recession by definition is over but our economy is no where as robust as it was in the late 90s and early 2000s and it never will be. We need to realize that what we hadwas false and adjust accordingly.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:23 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Employment numbers have nothing to do with "recession", but if it did, an increase in unemployment, and then a decrease down to 9.5% NEXT year, if accurate, means that we are no where near the end of the recession.

If they arent working, they cant be spending to increase the GDP..
The way I see it, NABE are the experts.

Not the people on this board, myself included.

I am passing along what is being reported in the national news.

I'm not creating the information out of thin air.

You want to argue with their findings, write to them.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkid View Post
The recession by definition is over but our economy is no where as robust as it was in the late 90s and early 2000s and it never will be. We need to realize that what we hadwas false and adjust accordingly.
Recession is over by definition? Mind telling me what quarter had had growth in GDP?

Old 10-12-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:

I dont need to write to them, they didnt provide me with the information, they provided their bs to you, which you repeated. Sorry, I dont make up the definitions, and if you want to ignore the fact that we have had no increase in the GDP, let alone two, thats your right, but be prepared to be laughed at when we have had NO increase in the GDP and data proves that the NABE is wrong.

Sorry, but I dont make up the definitions of words, I only repeat the data provided by the government. If you think the recession is over, maybe you need to take it up with the BEA.gov who's data shows otherwise..

Sorry, but data and statistics trumps beliefs any day of the week.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:31 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
Quote:

They are the recognized experts. Just remember that many on the left were arguing that we were in this recession before they announced it. Don't be surprised if a few argue that we are still in a recession after they have declared it over.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:32 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
If it's already over then it was not the worst recession since the depression.
You are absolutely correct. This recession is not nearly as bad as the 1974-1984 recession ... yet. And dispite what those Canadian experts seem to think, this recession is far from over, and there still remains the possibility that it could get worse. Much worse.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:33 PM

Recession will be over when the blue lines move above the zero...
http://www.bea.gov/briefrm/gdp.htm

Lets also not ignore that the 2009 2nd quarter had huge government spending to prop it up..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies