Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 02:56 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,135,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I saw this boy and family interviewed on one of the morning shows. The little kid said all he was thinking about was taking it to eat lunch with at school (and no doubt show all the other little boys how cool his gizmo was).
The fact that the administration for this school district has no ability to discern between a five year old bringing a camping fold out spoon/knife/fork/bottleopener to school and a senior bringing an uzi shows how incredibly stupid they must be. Shame on them!

If I were the parents, I would look at private schools or homeschooling.

Oh and I have to add, that while watching this story my six year old kindergartner son came up and said "COOL!!" when he saw it.....I know what that little boy was thinking and it had nothing to do with violence.
Surely private school would be better although maybe unaffordable. If both parents work as so many do these days home schooling would be very hit and miss, so maybe they need to just bite the bullet and go along.

As one who was involved in public schools for 28 years I can say that if you have rules sometimes it is painful to enforce them but it must be done. Once you let something like this go it will only grow as others say they have a right to break the rule, also.

This whole thing sounds very silly and ridiculous but I would have enforced it after a conference with the parents to explain my side of it and getting their input. That seems to be the part that wasn't done properly.

I don't think this kid will be any less proud of his tool but I don't think he will take it to school again.

Again, mighty oaks from small ACORNS grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 03:10 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,291,705 times
Beyond stupid. We boys used to carry knives to school all the time. I remember getting a Buck knife for Christmas and proudly showing it at school. That was normal high school routine just a few decades ago.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:11 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,598,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Surely private school would be better although maybe unaffordable. If both parents work as so many do these days home schooling would be very hit and miss, so maybe they need to just bite the bullet and go along.

As one who was involved in public schools for 28 years I can say that if you have rules sometimes it is painful to enforce them but it must be done. Once you let something like this go it will only grow as others say they have a right to break the rule, also.

This whole thing sounds very silly and ridiculous but I would have enforced it after a conference with the parents to explain my side of it and getting their input. That seems to be the part that wasn't done properly.

I don't think this kid will be any less proud of his tool but I don't think he will take it to school again.

Again, mighty oaks from small ACORNS grow.
Yes, I understand the whole 'zero tolerance' crap, but where is common sense? To take the ability of the teacher/principle/school administrator to discern the circumstances surrounding a threat is wrong. I am going on a limb here and will assume that teachers/principles have a smidgeon of intelligence coupled with an awareness of the type of child in front of him. Unless this is all about avoiding lawsuits.....which I'm sure it is.

Still, would you let your five/six year old go to reform school? I wouldn't. I would find another school, home school, or move in an attempt to get into another school district. But send a little kid to reform school? Never.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:13 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,598,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Beyond stupid. We boys used to carry knives to school all the time. I remember getting a Buck knife for Christmas and proudly showing it at school. That was normal high school routine just a few decades ago.
No kidding. When my dh was in elementary school they all carried their guns (rifles and shotguns) to school for the obligatory 'gun safety course'. I doubt that is allowed today.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:14 PM

14,250 posts, read 17,850,908 times
Quote:
Yes, I understand the whole 'zero tolerance' crap, but where is common sense? To take the ability of the teacher/principle/school administrator to discern the circumstances surrounding a threat is wrong. I am going on a limb here and will assume that teachers/principles have a smidgeon of intelligence coupled with an awareness of the type of child in front of him. Unless this is all about avoiding lawsuits.....which I'm sure it is.

Still, would you let your five/six year old go to reform school? I wouldn't. I would find another school, home school, or move in an attempt to get into another school district. But send a little kid to reform school? Never.
Zero tolerance takes the judgement .... and, therefore, all common sense ..... out of decision making.

It sound good but, in reality, an all or nothing approach to every situation is pretty stupid.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:16 PM

14,250 posts, read 17,850,908 times
Quote:
No kidding. When my dh was in elementary school they all carried their guns (rifles and shotguns) to school for the obligatory 'gun safety course'. I doubt that is allowed today.
I was at a military high school .... we were taught to shoot and weapons were kept on school premises.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:17 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,621,972 times
i don't think this has anything to do with bureaucracy, it's just the culture of fear that we have in this country. people are so paranoid about everything that could possibly go wrong in any situation, even though crime in general and especially crime against children has gone down in the last few decades. i blame the hysterical tone of the media more than anything.

the way kids are shuttled around with absolutely no freedom these days, for fear that they'll be kidnapped or sexually molested is just criminal. when i was a kid we'd go out and play all day, and when i have kids they'll be doing that too. i just think they might not have anyone to play with.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:18 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,482,582 times
The ones that require reform - of the mental/psychological kind - are the school officials who view a camping tool as a dangerous weapon.

What's next - the cafeteria workers can't use ladles because they could be used as a deadly weapon?

Old 10-13-2009, 03:19 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,032,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i don't think this has anything to do with bureaucracy, it's just the culture of fear that we have in this country. people are so paranoid about everything that could possibly go wrong in any situation, even though crime in general and especially crime against children has gone down in the last few decades. i blame the hysterical tone of the media more than anything.

the way kids are shuttled around with absolutely no freedom these days, for fear that they'll be kidnapped or sexually molested is just criminal. when i was a kid we'd go out and play all day, and when i have kids they'll be doing that too. i just think they might not have anyone to play with.
Yup- Now parents have to set up "play dates". I never heard of such a retarded term when I wanted to play with my friends. We went outside and played wiffleball or street hockey or football.

These kids have been so coddled in recent times they are growing up to be a bunch of entitled wusses.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:21 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,482,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Yup- Now parents have to set up "play dates". I never heard of such a retarded term when I wanted to play with my friends. We went outside and played wiffleball or street hockey or football.

These kids have been so coddled in recent times they are growing up to be a bunch of entitled wusses.
Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you your future DNC administration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies