Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 03:09 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Make enough doomsday predictions and sooner or later you are going to get one right.

I don't believe anything Celente has to say. He compared to real "economic experts" is like Fred Phelps is to "Christianity". A fringe lunatic.
Agree. There are several doom and gloomers who keep saying the wheels are going to fall off ... any day now .... git yer guns and ammo ... any day now ... highways will go to weeds ... any day now ... cars will sit and rust where they stop running for lack of gas ... any day now ... gotta git me forty acres and a mule ... live off the land ... grow my own ... any day now ...
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 03:49 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Agree. There are several doom and gloomers who keep saying the wheels are going to fall off ... any day now .... git yer guns and ammo ... any day now ... highways will go to weeds ... any day now ... cars will sit and rust where they stop running for lack of gas ... any day now ... gotta git me forty acres and a mule ... live off the land ... grow my own ... any day now ...
right on Mike. my tabacoo crop was great. all my veggies are canned and one deer in the freezer. thanks for your support!

Old 10-18-2009, 10:00 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,633,959 times
During the 1930's the US was a manufactoring country and produced widgets, I believe it was 75 percent and 25 percent banking. Please correct me if I am wrong, today there is very little manufactoring going on. Now what are the citizens suppose to work at if the government is the only one hiring and being paid by our taxes. People working for the government produce nothing for sale, yes they benefit other citizens but priviate companies that manufactor widgets are the core of this county. Without private companies who is going to pay the taxes to keep the country afloat.
It's better to buy a few can goods and store a little water while you can, just to be safe.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
SilverOne..most of what we do in America is "push paper". Nothing is created.
There is very little manufacturing of finished goods here that we can buy.
We export raw goods which other countries use to manufacture goods and send back to us.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:37 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We're in a very dangerous place right now in the US. It could go either way..recovery or another double dip and that second dip could be what throws us into a second Great Depression.
Very likely to happen... Obama's making the same mistakes as FDR.
Amazon.com: FDR's Folly: How Roosevelt and His New Deal Prolonged the Great Depression (9780761501657): Jim Powell: Books

About the book...
“Admirers of FDR credit his New Deal with restoring the American economy after the disastrous contraction of 1929—33. Truth to tell–as Powell demonstrates without a shadow of a doubt–the New Deal hampered recovery from the contraction, prolonged and added to unemployment, and set the stage for ever more intrusive and costly government. Powell’s analysis is thoroughly documented, relying on an impressive variety of popular and academic literature both contemporary and historical.”
Milton Friedman, Nobel Laureate, Hoover Institution

“There is a critical and often forgotten difference between disaster and tragedy. Disasters happen to us all, no matter what we do. Tragedies are brought upon ourselves by hubris. The Depression of the 1930s would have been a brief disaster if it hadn’t been for the national tragedy of the New Deal. Jim Powell has proven this.”
P.J. O’Rourke, author of Parliament of Whores and Eat the Rich

“The material laid out in this book desperately needs to be available to a much wider audience than the ranks of professional economists and economic historians, if policy confusion similar to the New Deal is to be avoided in the future.”
James M. Buchanan, Nobel Laureate, George Mason University

“Jim Powell is one tough-minded historian, willing to let the chips fall where they may. That’s a rare quality these days, hence more valuable than ever. He lets the history do the talking.”
–David Landes, Professor of History Emeritus, Harvard University

Old 10-19-2009, 12:33 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Can we go trick or treating in the ghost malls? We'll call it O-booooo-mageddon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkid View Post
I predict that several insane people on this wacked out board will take this seriously...Oops, too late.
Too late. I read 14 pages of people doing the same thing they did in 1999. Hype and fear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
I absolutely refuse to live my life in fear. Fear is often the catalyst for abhorent behavior. I know the economy has not been good, but please? You actually think we need to build an underground bunker and stockpile guns and ammo? Give me a break! Outside of some nuclear holocaust, I don't ever forsee an America where roving bands of rapists and murderers will roam the streets randomly attacking "the unprepared". I think you need to remove the tinfoil hat and stop watching so many movies.
Thank you!! Well said. . This is crazy, some people here think this is 28 Days later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
I see a civil war also coming in the USA....all started by Obama!
Our poor children our going to suffer!
You're joking, right? Watching too much "Red Dawn", lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clementine01 View Post
You are the same people who purchased canned goods and stocked up on water during the New Year's of 1999, no?
I think they are, the only thing most of them had dial-up/56k modems back then, and could not spread that nonsense fast enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Let's see ....

a member named "Truth Seeker 2012"

posts an extremely gloomy prediction for 2012 ....

and the next presidential election is in 2012 ...

Could this all be just one big coincidence?
You figured it out....Just hype. I will live life regardless. It's too short. I need to get away from City Data more. Too many looney bins here.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:56 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Can we go trick or treating in the ghost malls? We'll call it O-booooo-mageddon...

Ghost malls!!! Somebody hold me!

Old 10-19-2009, 04:08 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
With a few exceptions. One noteworthy exception is Easy Company's assault on the artillery position on D-Day, an extremely well managed assault and still taught to cadets at West Point. But, I was addressing this in the context of untrained civilians trying to loot a well fortified home, where your assertion would likely apply with 100% accuracy.
Somehow I doubt that, but don't let me stop you from digging trenches in the backyard.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:30 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Rep for the op here,there are ghost malls all over NE Tennessee since 2005, no one buying...in 2001 (Bushworld) I lived in S.Florida, which was inundated by greedy banks, FannieMae fraud loans,mortgage scams(Countrywide), over contruction and crazy real estate development....the bubbles were bursting then, this is NOT Obamas fault......there are hardly any jobs in NE Tenn other than medical and low pay retail, and yet all people in that forum care about is a kiosk owner being evicted from a stupid mall(he was selling anti-Obama junk) Things like that make me fed up with small-minded and myopic Americans....sick and fed up with this idiocy and hatred for Obama

Old 10-19-2009, 08:35 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,633,959 times
Just wait until the young voters learn how much that will be taken from them to pay for the seniors healthcare. Obama won't be so hot then, you can't spread the wealth without costing somebody somewhere. There are not enough millioniares out there to pay for all that is promised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies