Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 01:28 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,278,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
An interesting thought as I read this post. While I'd agree that "the grid going down" is about as likely as the moon colliding with earth tomorrow morning, the fact is it could happen. The bottom falling completly out of the U.S. economy could happen, there are any number of absolute disasters that could happen....for those disasters that one is prepared for, that does happen, that one that is prepared, will survive, or at least have had a chance.

For many "disasters" that occur, if you simply have money, that is preparation enough. But the type of "disaster" being discussed here, all the money at your disposal wont do you a bit of good.

As for your very last sentence....I wonder if the folks that made the decision on how many lifeboats to put aboard the Titanic, had a similar mindset as yours?........
The difference is - the Titanic sinking was not that far-fetched, whereas the "grid going down" is (as you put it) "about as likely as the moon colliding with earth tomorrow morning".

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 01:38 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,251,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
The difference is - the Titanic sinking was not that far-fetched, whereas the "grid going down" is (as you put it) "about as likely as the moon colliding with earth tomorrow morning".

Ken
Yep, because New Orleans and NYC overnight brownouts never happen

Old 10-14-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Yep, because New Orleans and NYC overnight brownouts never happen
That's not the "grid going down" that was referred to and you know it.
Get real.

Ken

Old 10-14-2009, 01:47 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,251,969 times
Quote:
That's not the "grid going down" that was referred to and you know it.
Get real.

Ken
When "the grid went down" in Argentina, it wasn't the end of the world. It just felt like it for most of their citizens.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:15 PM

24,372 posts, read 22,982,365 times
Globamal Warming? But if we do get more colder than normal weather, early frosts and late freezes, crop failures, food prices could skyrocket.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:15 PM

9,685 posts, read 11,093,142 times
Quote:
The grid isn't about to go down - that's more silly "the sky is falling" talk - nothing more than the wet dream of bunch psudo-survivalists. It's not a matter of "being prepared" for the worst - it's a matter of missing out on REAL opportunities because you so focused on some silly far-out scenario that's simply NOT going to happen.

Ken
While I agree with what you are saying, we all got the crap scared out of us by Bush and then Obama. As in "give us trillions of the this or that is going to collapse."

So what's the story; was there something to it or were we lied to??

Old 10-14-2009, 02:19 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,326,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Bush's Gog and Magog --- for real!!!

Bush's Shocking Biblical Prophecy Emerges: God Wants to "Erase" Mid-East Enemies "Before a New Age Begins" | Politics | AlterNet

Old 10-14-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
While I agree with what you are saying, we all got the crap scared out of us by Bush and then Obama. As in "give us trillions of the this or that is going to collapse."

So what's the story; was there something to it or were we lied to??
No, you were not lied to. The problem WAS severe.

Having said that, I DO think that Bush's "deer in the headlight" appearance on TV back in the dark days of September of '08' DID create even more fear than was justified by the reality of the situation (which in truth was pretty darn bad in of itself). The result was a classic economic "panic". The stock market tanked - and corporate execs saw the value of their companies going down the tubes and immediately moved to cut costs (ie - meaning lay off workers) - this in turn led a sudden deeping of the recession that was already taking hold.

SOME of the stock market recovery since then is simply investors realizing that it is not the "end of the world" and that the economic problems (bad as they are) were not QUITE as severe as first feared - still very bad mind you, but something that CAN be dealt with.

Ken

Old 10-14-2009, 02:56 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,538,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseeker2012 View Post
A trends forecaster says the current economic "rebound" from last winter's Wall Street collapse of banks, insurance companies and automobile manufacturers is an artificial blip created by 'phantom money printed out of thin air backed by nothing. And Gerald Celente of TrendsResearch.com, says people right now should be bracing for "the greatest recession" which will hit worldwide and will mark the "decline of empire America." Crop failures could be among the minor concerns."Here we are in 2012. Food riots, tax protests, farmer rebellions, student revolts, squatter diggins, homeless uprisings, tent cities, ghost malls, general strikes, bossnappings, kidnappings, industrial saboteurs, gang warfare, mob rule, terror," he writes for a quarterly publication that is available through subscription on his website. Celente - People Should Brace For 'Greatest Depression'
Aren't these things already going on & have been for years? I won't hold my breath. I think I'll go about my daily life.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Aren't these things already going on & have been for years? I won't hold my breath. I think I'll go about my daily life.
Yup.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies