Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 05:25 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
How hard is it to do well in High School than apply at a College and take out student loans or get federal assistance? Hell I did it and I'm not from a wealthy family.

I see you got what you paid for.
Just poke'n at you in fun!!

Old 10-14-2009, 05:30 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,865,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by + or - View Post
In American society, it's true that when someone white does something heinous or against the law, they are judged on an individual basis and their actions are not seen as representative of all whites.

Examples include Timothy McVeigh, Michael Peterson, and just about every serial killer in the history of the United States.

Yet, when someone black does something heinous, against the law, or acts in bad taste, somehow, miraculously, their behavior is representative of the way all blacks are.

Many of the threads in this sub-forum adhere to this principle, and personally, I find it astounding. This mentality in and of itself is racist.

People have a very narrow interpretation of history, long term discrimination, and institutionalized racism as it pertains to the current state of black America.

It's true that blacks account for a disproportionate amount of violent and non-violent crime in this country, but that's only half the picture. Let's look deeper -- we know that poor people in economically depressed areas are more likely to become criminals. We also know that historically, blacks have been denied the same educational, professional, and economic opportunities that have been afforded to whites, thus were not allowed to build wealth, and ultimately acquire the goods or capitalistic freedom that was required to accomplish the American dream.

A large percentage of American blacks are ancestors of slaves who were brought to this country against their will by Europeans and subjected to heinous living conditions and severe emotional and physical abuse, including but not limited to beatings, rape, and even murder.

After slavery, blacks were not allowed to own land in many states, were not allowed to attend the same schools or colleges as whites, and not able to live amongst whites or patronize "white" establishments. Of course, the law at that time was that of so-called "separate but equal" in every capacity, but we know that was not the case.

The black schools, and neighborhoods, and services were vastly inferior to that of white schools, and neighborhoods, and services. Blacks were damned if they did, and damned if they didn't. They couldn't participate in the free capitalism that made many whites rich, and were often stuck in menial jobs, unable to get out of their economically disadvantaged state even if they wanted to.

If any of you actually paid attention to history, you'd see it was whites who more often than not were physically violent to blacks throughout the 1800's through the 1960's. Blacks were often victims of senseless, unprovoked lynchings, beatings, and shootings during this time, and the culprits, often tried by all-white juries were seldom, if ever given appropriate punishments.

Historically, white racism made it impossible for black Americans to assimilate into American society. Shockingly, blacks were very much like whites in the 1900's thru 1960's -- often headed by a mother and a father, they went to school, worked very hard, raised their children in stable homes, and were generally respectable people.

Blacks even dressed and spoke similarly to their white counterparts during these years. Yet despite their efforts, whites still would not allow blacks to participate or or become a part of American society, and so thus, in the 1960's, blacks were forced to create their own society.

No longer would blacks sit back allowing themselves to be the victims of racism, and physical and verbal abuse at the hands of whites. Militant groups, like the Black Panthers, sprung up across the country as blacks fought for rights and to just be "left alone".

By the time this did happen, the state of black America was pretty much destroyed, beat down by poverty, lack of access to quality education, and violence. It just sort of all went down hill from there, and of course, we end at the current state of things, which admittedly, is quite dire.

Now that overt, in-your-face racism has fallen out of popularity, many of you try to claim that the playing fields are equal, but they are not. Whites hold the majority of the wealth and power in this country, have access overall to better education, and have the advantage of being able to assimilate into a Euro-centric society. You cannot just undo hundreds of years of institutionalized racism by passing a few laws and pretending like past actions have no affect on blacks today.

Blacks were essentially set up to be, since this country's inception, disadvantaged in every possible way. Unless you are black, and poor, and living in the ghetto, it's easy to point fingers and criticize, but then again, you are not in this position. So you, as far as I'm concerned, are in no position to judge.

Personally, as a black American, I find many of the posts in this sub-forum regarding blacks to be insulting, disgusting, and appalling. Those of you who insist blacks are genetically predisposed to be intellectually dumber than whites or more violent-prone than whites clearly are ignorant of history, genetics, and limited in your interaction of both whites and blacks.

So to sum it up, yes, blacks are largely poor, and uneducated, and thus more likely to be criminals, but to deny the reasons behind this reality, which was caused by perpetual white racism in the first place, I think is rather myopic, short-sighted, and just plain ignorant.

Why are you so hung up on this race issue? I have seen so many posts of you accusing basically everybody of racism. Can't take you seriously. You gotta get over this.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:38 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
You are not very sensitive for a gay man, now are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Why are you so hung up on this race issue? I have seen so many posts of you accusing basically everybody of racism. Can't take you seriously. You gotta get over this.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:42 PM

145 posts, read 184,101 times
A lot of gays hold the same prejudices as their straight counterparts. As for me having an obsession with the "race" issue, unless you are black, and experience day to day life as a black person, you cannot say that my claims of racism are unjustified.

Austin is a race conscious city. That has been my experience here, and I did not find that in Dallas. Furthermore, this sub-forum is filled with ignorant, backward racists, and my post was an attempt to draw a correlation between a history of racism against blacks and the current state of the black community.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:45 PM

23 posts, read 31,274 times
Quote:
A lot of gays hold the same prejudices as their straight counterparts. As for me having an obsession with the "race" issue, unless you are black, and experience day to day life as a black person, you cannot say that my claims of racism are unjustified.
If racism is so bad in the U.S, why don't you go live in a paradise like Zimbabwe, Angola, Liberia, Sierra Lenone, etc?

Old 10-14-2009, 05:50 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,578 times
Is that a whine I hear?

Some tips for the criminal class on how they might finally break the chain:

1) close your legs/keep trousers zipped and don't breed until you can be a fit parent
2) alternatively, waddle on down to Planned Parenthood and get some free birth control pills or condoms
3) stay in school and listen to the teacher, do the work, make the grade
4) go to church or join some other positive community program
5) approach successful people in your community and ask them for advice on what you should do
6) make an appointment with your school counselor to discuss your academic options
7) buy pants that fit, drop the gold chains and sunglasses and baseball cap, and look for a job
8) be a hard worker at whatever job you get
9) listen only to positive music and watch only positive television programs or movies, and read books
10) develop a savings habit and pay your bills
11) resolve to get off welfare and stay off
12) realize that you are in control of your destiny and the past does not dictate your future

It's hard but it's not impossible. Thousands of people have done it. There is no shortage of role models, but first, you have to want to find them and follow their example. Therein lies the problem.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:51 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,578 times
Quote:

Austin is a race conscious city. That has been my experience here, and I did not find that in Dallas. Furthermore, this sub-forum is filled with ignorant, backward racists, and my post was an attempt to draw a correlation between a history of racism against blacks and the current state of the black community.
Your "attempt" was to repeat an old, tired whine, and you did succeed at that, but no one is listening.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:05 PM

145 posts, read 184,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahwhateverdude View Post
If racism is so bad in the U.S, why don't you go live in a paradise like Zimbabwe, Angola, Liberia, Sierra Lenone, etc?
The same can be said for you. Go back to Europe, because this isn't your country either.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:13 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,865,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You are not very sensitive for a gay man, now are you?
Wrong on both counts.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:13 PM

97 posts, read 116,846 times
Quote:
The same can be said for you. Go back to Europe, because this isn't your country either.
It is now. No disrespect to the native Americans they fought a good fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies