Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 04:22 PM

11,574 posts, read 13,921,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Obviously you need an education in basic math if you think millions of Americans are making money.

That is misleading considering millions of Americans lost a hell of alot more over the last 2 years then they recouped in the last 6 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 04:30 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,681,234 times
Just curious - whenever someone posts good news about the economy, how come conservatives always post something about how horrific the economy was in 2008 and how it's nowhere near what it was before that collapse?

I seriously don't get it. We all know the economy collapsed. To ask for everything to be back to roses a mere year later is pretty unrealistic.

The positive news lies in gains made since the collapse. How come you all can't celebrate that? Are you going to hold hostility until we're down to 0% unemployment? Consistently rising almost 4,000 points since March without a major drop is good news for us all.

Let's be happy for us all. It's one of many positive indicators worldwide that we might be coming out of this and that perhaps unemployment will follow within the next couple years as it did with Reagan (who faced the highest unemployment numbers over 2 years into his presidency).

As someone who has been kick hard numerous times by this economy, I find it rather insulting that you continue to wish for bad news just so you can say "I told you so" about our president.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:42 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,992,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Just curious - whenever someone posts good news about the economy, how come conservatives always post something about how horrific the economy was in 2008 and how it's nowhere near what it was before that collapse?
Because when you start a thread telling people that an increased DOW is bad for Republicans, you first start out looking like a fool, and then you finish up with others pointing out the obvious about why the DOW is above 10,000, as if thats some new watermark for "recovery"...

DOW could be 50,000 but that doesnt mean that america is boombing.. I can make the DOW 110,000 tomorrow by putting Buffets stock on the DOW, (since I've been accused of controlling whats on the DOW, I may as while pretend I have these powers)..

Old 10-14-2009, 04:48 PM

23 posts, read 31,224 times
for the most part, the only people who make money on the stock market are the elite few.

what good is 'dow X' when americans are out of work in record numbers and this country makes nothing, builds nothing, except outsources jobs so the elite few are enriched at the expense of everyone else?

the dow will hit record highs again in a few years but it won't be because we're better off or because the dollar is worth more.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:32 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,229,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Republicans will be steaming mad that millions of Americans are making money in the stock market because it helps Obama.
It's a misnomer. Gauging the stock market by how the economy is doing is false and misleading, and, it doesn't help pump up President Obama one bit the fact it hit the 10K mark again. This is still a tough world, with many people still out of work, which means, this recession is not over, and is in a anemic stage presently, the fat lady hasn't sung yet, so don't count your chickens yet.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:35 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,078,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Why would republicans be mad that the stock market is rising?

Republicans are not anti-Obama no matter what. Republicans are anti Obama when he institutes poor policies which harm the country.
Couldn't disagree more. From the olympics and on.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
Quote:
Republicans will be steaming mad that millions of Americans are making money in the stock market because it helps Obama.
Most of those millions are Republicans and wealthy Democrats.
Most Joe Mainstreet types are reaping zilch, nada, zip from the boom on Wall Street.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:44 PM

20,271 posts, read 37,040,759 times
Quote:
I am not a republican (nor a Democrat), but can say that your comments make not sense whatsoever. In fact what you have said is quite childish, and my reasons for saying that are as follows:

If the market goes up, all investors in the portion of the market that goes up benefit from it. Some are Democrat, some are Republican, some gays, some straight, and so forth.

The portion of the market that goes up is to the benefit of those Americans who still have a job and have invested in the right places (I am one of those). But what can you say about approximately 10% of American workers who not longer have a job?

Now, those who don't like Obama would be unhappy with him if he were to curb Government spending, reduce the size of government, reduce the amount of taxes across the board, help the industry and businesses in general-create jobs, stop printing money the way they have for the past few months, and not push socialized medicine. This would give the Republicans a fit in the next presidential elections.

Now, this is bad news for all working Americans, and good news to gold investors:
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

Last edited by RayinAK; 10-14-2009 at 07:59 PM..

Old 10-14-2009, 08:13 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Why would republicans be mad that the stock market is rising?

Republicans are not anti-Obama no matter what. Republicans are anti Obama when he institutes poor policies which harm the country.
And when he goes out with Michelle. And when he wears short sleeves in the WH. And when he wins a Nobel Prize. And when he goes to France for the 65th anniversary of D-Day. And, and, and.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:57 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,657,929 times
Temporary ups and downs in the Dow hardly mean squat anymore, the fact remains that we have a ton of unsupported debt out there, waiting, sooner or later we're going to have to deal with it, and when we do, only then, will the market measurements have any valid bearing on it's statement of overall health.

To use the same old tired tools of pre meltdown years in attempting to evaluate the state of the economy would be making a big mistake. As some other posters have pointed out, we can't expect much in the way of value from money printed at breakneck speed and unprecedented volumes. We are no doubt, in for some serious setbacks financially, but, I'm not being unfair to anyone when I say, if it seems to good to be true, it probably isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies