Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 07:49 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,781,054 times

Advertisements

Some of you may know that in 2010, there's a one time provision in the tax code that allows individuals to convert pre-tax retirement accounts over to a Roth IRA (post tax). It's only for 2010 and the key is that there is no income requirement for the conversion. In every year except for 2010, the IRS laws set the limit at $100K modified adjusted income (regardless of single/married) if you want to do a conversion. You than have 2 years to pay taxes on the conversion (2011 and 2012). I won't get into the details but that's the general idea of this one time Roth IRA conversion in 2010 law.

I'm in my 30s. Already have a sizable retirement nest egg. It's my own contribution since I'm self-employed. I get to contribute over $40K a year. But that's my own money I'm contributing. There is no "free money" since there is no employer match.

I went to my financial advisor and we discussed one major concern with the Roth IRA conversion. We believe some time in the future, Congress (particularly) if it's a Democratic revenue collecting hungry government, will find a way to "tax" Roth IRA withdrawals. They will call it some type of excise tax or whatever. But they wlll probably find a way to try to collect more revenue in the future.

What do you guys think about the future of the Roth IRA? I'm very worried. The government might say if you withdraw more than $40K a year from the Roth IRA in 2040, anything above $40K on a Roth IRA would be subject to a 40% excise tax.

So you believe the government will "tax" Roth IRAs in the future? Or will they just "tax" withdrawals over a certain limit?

It's like the same thing with SSN benefits. After the 1993 tax law change (by Clinton's Democratic government), clients who earn income above a set amount and collect SSN benefits end up paying more taxes on SSN.

So my mother who's 69 and still working full time as a pharmacist ends up get "taxed" on the majority of her SSN benefits. I don't think she would have been "taxed" as much before the 1993 Clinton tax bill.

That's why I'm concerned about the future taxation of Roth IRAs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 08:09 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
You are referring to a provision of TIPRA. I have pumped as much possible into my ROTH, and plan to take advantage of TIPRA in 2010. I agree there is a threat - but not like you might think. I think a more likely scenario is they will means-test Social Security. In other words, your ROTH will be tax free, but they will tax the heck out of, or just reduce, your SS benefit based on how much you have. The effect is the same as taxing your ROTH.

There are really too many variables to answer this question in a forum like this. A lot can happen in the 40 years before you retire. That said, based on the projected spending, demographics, and other geopolitcal factors, I can't imagine a time in the future when marginal tax rates will be lower. I am betting that in the short-term there will be too much political backlash to directly double tax ROTHs or mess with the SS of the Baby Boomers. I plan on taking the hit now. You younger guys are out of luck, I'm afraid.

This is not intended as financial advice.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:59 PM
obo

916 posts, read 985,595 times
Liberals are going to find every way possible to tax us.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:56 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Is there any evidence whatsoever that taxing Roth IRAs is being proposed, or is it just the latest strawman from the teabag crowd?

Old 10-14-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Is there any evidence whatsoever that this is going to happen, or is it just the latest strawman from the teabag crowd?

The Democrats have floated means-testing Social Security.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
The Democrats have floated means-testing Social Security.
Yes, but I haven't heard anything about taxing Roth IRAs. The OP's concern is just conjecture - similar to the allegations that death panels will be part of health care reform.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Yes, but I haven't heard anything about taxing Roth IRAs. The OP's concern is just conjecture - similar to the allegations that death panels will be part of health care reform.

Politics is generally conjecture and speculation. What fun would facts be?

Old 10-14-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
What fun would facts be?
That could be the motto for this forum.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:07 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Is there any evidence whatsoever that taxing Roth IRAs is being proposed, or is it just the latest strawman from the teabag crowd?
They'll grandfather any new taxes placed on a Roth retirement plan. There would be too much of an uproar (more than dropping tea bags over the White House fence) for any politician to get away with taxing a Roth.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:21 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Quote:
The latter. This is a common tactic: make something up that would be bad, without any evidence it will ever happen or has even been proposed, and then say, "See, this is what the Democrats are going to do!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies