Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Con Amendment so that Citizens not born in USA can run for President
YES 13 20.63%
NO 50 79.37%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 11:46 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,487,771 times

Advertisements

Sen Hatch,in 2003,proposed an amendment ,but it did not progress...

Do u support a constitutional amendment so that naturalised Americans.like Arnold Swarzenegger, not born in USA can run for President ?

Sensible requirements,
like a 20 yr citizenship
& at least 1 term in a state or federal level office ( governor,senator) would apply...

So that we are sure that the person is not a "mole",
or agent of foreign power,
or a "traitor"...

Not to mention that Presidents can be impeached ( Nixon)...

Let's read your opinions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 11:47 AM
obo

916 posts, read 985,940 times
hell no, that's how traitors will get elected.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:54 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times
Yes, I actually do.

With the current rate of American drop outs and student scores/grades, it does not seem like we will have any good candidates. With students overseas scoring so much better and so much harder working, they might make better candidates for president.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obo View Post
Explain how traitors would get elected before you spout nonsense. I can see if you are talking about some one from the Middle East but what about someone from Canada? Are they traitors?

Your post makes no sense.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obo View Post

That's why I proposed the requirement of prior service in a state or federal office ( Governor,Senator)...

If someone is a traitor,he will show signs during his carreer as sen or gov...

2/3 of Senators can always impeach any Prez...

Old 10-15-2009, 11:57 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Maybe if they've been here since they were little kids, like 2 to 5 years old. However, I don't for the rest of them.

Nothing against immigration, I just feel you should be a natural citizen. We've got plenty of good leaders in the United States that were natural citizens, we don't need an Austrian body builder who has been at the helm of one of our biggest states, who helped run the economy into the ground there, to the point they have to hand out IOU's.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:58 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,120 times
Anyone who can do the best job. Even a martian.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:08 PM

Let's not personalise it to Arnold...

As a...non born in USA,I think it is a disgrace that a convicted felon,
burglar,rapist,druggie
can run for President,just because he was born in USA
& a quality immigrant,100% Americanised,cannot run...

It is actually a primitive form of racism...

Old 10-15-2009, 12:14 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
Sen Hatch,in 2003,proposed an amendment ,but it did not progress...

Do u support a constitutional amendment so that naturalised Americans.like Arnold Swarzenegger, not born in USA can run for President ?

Sensible requirements,
like a 20 yr citizenship
& at least 1 term in a state or federal level office ( governor,senator) would apply...

So that we are sure that the person is not a "mole",
or agent of foreign power,
or a "traitor"...

Not to mention that Presidents can be impeached ( Nixon)...

Let's read your opinions...
I don't support it because there have been enough people who are naturalized citizens who have defrauded the government for the benefit of their nation of origin and committed treason.

In today's world it is very difficult to gauge the loyalty of someone born in another nation who has no genuine ties to the USA and because of our lax law enforcement some people claim "dual nationality". They may have made the choice to live here but many still have loyalty to the land they are originally from.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:14 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
2/3 of Senators can always impeach any Prez...
Technically, it takes a simple majority of the House of Representatives to impeach a President; it takes two-thirds of the Senate to remove the President from office.

I voted no on the poll. There are plenty of people born every day in this country, and plenty of natural-born citizens already in public service. I don't see any pressing need, based on social concerns or lack of potential candidates or any other reason, to change the Constitution to allow those born in other countries to be eligible for the highest office in this country.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:18 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times
I voted no...it just does not seem like a big enough issue to amend the constitution over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies