Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 02:36 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Tell that to small business owners that can't afford it.

Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 03:32 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Don't be ridiculous, it doesn't help the discussion. Since when has an employer make any woman take any risks? They weren't there when she conceived. They didn't have a part in the decision. And who "forces" women to have kids? Don't be rididulous. Women put themselves there. I know most women refuse to see their own part in this, but that's the reality. Deal with it.
Yes. Reality is that the right should be pro choice then. If they think business should not provide maternity leave unless they want too (which they obviously would not if given the choice), then they should be pro choice.

Why do you expect women to give up and sacrifice everything just because she got pregnant? Pro choice, baby! (No pun included)

I think you misread my post. I did not say anyone forced women to get pregnant. I meant forcing pregnant women. Sorry.

The way some users on here are seems like many women would just have to go get an abortion in order to save jobs and such. I for sure am not giving up my job. And second of all, I love how you all avoid answering the situation I mentioned. You know? The one where a woman gets pregnant, loses her job, income, benefits and sits with the newborn uninsured and in a cold house.

You all should be pro choice. No doubt about it.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:33 PM

436 posts, read 874,204 times
Quote:
HappyTexan Tell that to small business owners that can't afford it.
Are they also those can't hire people because skyrocking health insurance?
LOL

Anti- paid maternity leave=anti-health care reform, what a coincidence?

Old 10-18-2009, 03:34 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemeatball View Post
LOL

And "prolife".

Oh the fun!

Old 10-18-2009, 03:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemeatball View Post
LOL

You really don't know how every penny counts when you run a small business. Every person working counts too.

Don't go comparing a small family business with a multi-national corporation. They are worlds apart yet you think these mandatory social laws should apply across the board.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:48 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
Quote:
You really don't know how every penny counts when you run a small business. Every person working counts too.

Don't go comparing a small family business with a multi-national corporation. They are worlds apart yet you think these mandatory social laws should apply across the board.
I wouldn't mind there being an exemption for small businesses. Any business with less than 50 employees. Sound good?

Old 10-18-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I wouldn't mind there being an exemption for small businesses. Any business with less than 50 employees. Sound good?
I think you'd agree..Joe's Plumbing with wife, son and a handful of employees cannot and should not be made to stand with the likes of Microsoft or Walmart when it comes to mandatory social laws.

I try to use local and buy local whenever I can. These are not heartless people that want to hoard their money like CEO's. The LAST thing they want to do is layoff. They will do whatever they can NOT to layoff their staff.

Any laws have to take into account the small/medium business and separate them from the big multi-nationals or big nationals.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I think you'd agree..Joe's Plumbing with wife, son and a handful of employees cannot and should not be made to stand with the likes of Microsoft or Walmart when it comes to mandatory social laws.

I try to use local and buy local whenever I can. These are not heartless people that want to hoard their money like CEO's. The LAST thing they want to do is layoff. They will do whatever they can NOT to layoff their staff.

Any laws have to take into account the small/medium business and separate them from the big multi-nationals or big nationals.
Yeah, some laws/standards/etc shouldn't apply to small businesses.

I definitely wish we'd take care of health care (among other things) in a smart way so we can have more successful small businesses.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Yeah, some laws/standards/etc shouldn't apply to small businesses.

I definitely wish we'd take care of health care (among other things) in a smart way so we can have more successful small businesses.
Small business is the backbone of America. We cannot regulate them out of business.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Small business is the backbone of America. We cannot regulate them out of business.
Agreed.

I however want to make a lot of the opportunities or perks (whatever you want to call it) that are available to employees of corporations are available to those that work for small businesses. One example would be health care.

I understand the plight of some small businesses not being able to afford health care for their employees. A lot of them aren't heartless a-holes that don't want to provide it, they just can't afford it.

If a small business wanted to offer maternity leave for their employees, that's fine but they shouldn't HAVE to provide it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies