Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you approve or disapprove of interracial marriage?
I approve of interracial marriage 163 83.59%
I disapprove of interracial marriage 29 14.87%
Not sure 3 1.54%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 05:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,050 times

Advertisements

God created man in his own image. God created us all equal. We are all members of The Human Race.
Character is what sets us apart, or draws us close together.
Racism is not really as prevalent as racists choose to believe it is. I compare the mental illness (a diseased brain) called racism to an awful pimple that sometimes pops up on my otherwise perfect skin. I mean its really very small, but so gross, so disgusting...so ugly, that it somehow takes away from my beautiful skin. Iused to dwell on it more than i should...prod it...poke it...squeeze it, but the more attention i give to this darn eyesore the larger it appeared. Amazingly though...when ignored it was gone in no time. I know that if we treat this nasty pimple called racism the same way...i mean if we give it the attention it deserves...NONE!!! It too will diminish. seen for what it truly is...insignificant Garbage.
Racists should be treated like Outcasts Of Society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 06:33 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,121 times
This judge was in the wrong, plain and simple. Is he racist, maybe maybe not. I think back when I was a child, and my mother, who said she always knew that I would marry outside my race, used to say that she didn't have a problem with it, and hoped that if it was I did, that I would be happy. But she also stressed concerns about having children. She was worried that the children would have a hard time growing up because of acceptance and discrimination.

Now she has two biracial grandchilren, and couldn't be any happier, and isn't worried about the same issues. Was she racist, not at all, she truely had a concern for the children.

To the ones on here saying that the children will be accepted as black, so it isnt an issue, well, that isnt always the case. For one, I have heard people when saying something to a bi racial person, yell out, hey half-breed. Are the ones that say that being ignorant, of course they are. There is ignorance everywhere. Another example that I have though is one that involves my youngest son. We live in a large city, and in a neighborhood that is 99.9% black. He has had issues with the kids calling him white boy, cracker etc... He has had issues at his school with kids not wanting to accept or believe that he is half black. His oldest brother has never had any of these issues. These are just some examples where bi-racial children are not accepted.

With my sons, they know that it is just ignorance that causes people to be this way, and most of the time it doesn't bother them at all. The have learned from us and from society, that not everyone is going to accept everyone all the time. If you tell my kids they are black, they will tell you that you are only half correct, they will inform you that they are black and white, and proud of being both.

People on all sides of the fence need to learn to accept biracial people as that, biracial, and not try to make them conform to one side or the other.

With all that being said, except for the few instances of ignorance displayed by people, my children haven't had it difficult being biracial

Last edited by rhawkins74; 10-16-2009 at 07:44 AM..

Old 10-16-2009, 07:30 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell said, thereby demonstrating his ability to contradict himself using only two sentences.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:42 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
"I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."
I love this comment "I even let them use my whites only bathroom" I wonder what kind of black friends he has

Old 10-16-2009, 08:09 AM

299 posts, read 635,047 times
As the grandmother of a biracial child and the aunt to two nephews who are biracial, not to mention other close relatives in biracial marriages, I've seen firsthand what can happen to these children. They can grow up in a loving, warm and close-knit family, do well in school, even to the point of acceptance at the U.S. Naval Academy. They can be exposed to what love is supposed to be. The union of two people who care deeply and respect and love each other does wonders for the self esteem of the child they are raising togeether.

My grandson is only four yet has many friends from mixed race marriages and those who parents are both the same race. Some of his friends are black/white, Asian/black, Indian/white, Indian/black, and yet he's never noticed any difference. When I picked him up from a birthday party recently, he was talking about one of the other children there and when I said that I didn't know who the child was, he explained what she looked like, his description was along the lines of "brown curly hair, not as tall as me, she sounds funny when she laughs and she had pink sneakers on", not a word about skin color. Young children don't see color first, they see a potential playmate, a friend, to play games with, to laugh with, but they don't care about race. They learn racist behavior from their parents, other family members, their peers who are exposed to racism at home, etc.

My hope is that with each passing generation, the acceptance of others who are not the same as us will be as natural as waking up in the morning and going to sleep at night. When I look at my grandson playing with his cousins, friends and neighbors, i think it just might happen.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:13 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,300,646 times
If anything, having parents of two different races will make the kid stronger and less of a *****. He'll have to learn to deal with stuff the rest of us don't always have to.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:30 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I love this comment "I even let them use my whites only bathroom" I wonder what kind of black friends he has
What is sad is this person is a judge. He is an educated person. That shows you the South has a long way to go with regards to racial acceptance. When an educated person who rose to the ranks of judge feels he is being generous by allowing a Black person to use his bathroom, that is disturbing if not comical

Old 10-16-2009, 08:38 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Halle Berry is hot.

There. I said it.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:42 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
As someone who has several friends in inter-racial relationships, and in an area where no one even bats an eye when they see an inter-racial couple, the fact that inter-racial couples can be controversial here in 2009 really is mind boggling to me, and quite sad.
Isn't that the truth? And I find myself even questioning if this backward attitude is even prevelent in the South today ...at least in the big cities. Being a Yankee I can't pretend to understand the South as well as those who live there but I do happen to know of some very successful inter-racial couples in Atlanta who seem to have no problem whatsoever.

Ah well, to use the opera analogy used by the racist earlier in this thread, I think that they just don't know that the "fat lady" has already sung in their confederate world.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:43 AM

3,084 posts, read 5,235,688 times
Figures it would be a black male, white female couple. This good ol' boy JP just couldn't stand the thought. Never mind that these are both highly-educated and successful young people. Stay classy Louisiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies