Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you approve or disapprove of interracial marriage?
I approve of interracial marriage 163 83.59%
I disapprove of interracial marriage 29 14.87%
Not sure 3 1.54%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 12:17 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,440,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
And yet they do. Ultimately a marriage is between A woman and A man. Whether of the same race or different races it will depend on the man and woman involved to make it work. Since I personally know many very long lasting happy marriages between people of different races I can personally assure you that you are wrong.

I don't know if you folks that think it won't work realize that you don't think about race very much if at all after you get to know someone. Just ask people who have long-term friendships or long lasting marriages with people of a race that is different than their own. You'd be surprised how seldom the subject of race even comes up between them.
Outside forces, particularly family, often do contribute to the demise of a marriage. A marriage isn't just a union of two individuals, it's also a union of families. People seem to forget this very important point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 12:32 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,096,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Outside forces, particularly family, often do contribute to the demise of a marriage. A marriage isn't just a union of two individuals, it's also a union of families. People seem to forget this very important point.
Are you making the assumption that the families won't get along just because they are of different ethnic groups? I can assure you that when both families are of the same ethnic group they can still detest one another....or love one another....just the same as if they are of two different ethnic groups.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:33 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,344,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesj View Post
Look, I'm black. I don't hate caucasians. I'll work with them because I have to, but at the end of the day, I just don't want them around me and I sure as heck wouldn't want to date their daughters either...
I had a white roommate once; she was pretty cool but her parents were nuts. Her mom talked to me like I was retarded and her dad always treated me like he expected me to steal something. Once when I was doing laundry and I asked her if there was any bleach left I heard him ask her (in a not so very quiet voice) why I was using her bleach. She told him we basically chipped in on cleaning supplies because I had a Sams membership and we'd buy in bulk. He told her (again in not a very quiet voice) to make sure I was buying my share and she should probably buy her own and keep it in her room.
I'd have a fit if my son ending up dating someone with a father like that. A fit and probably quite a few altercations

Old 11-02-2009, 12:54 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,440,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Are you making the assumption that the families won't get along just because they are of different ethnic groups? I can assure you that when both families are of the same ethnic group they can still detest one another....or love one another....just the same as if they are of two different ethnic groups.
No I'm not making that assumption. I disagree with you that a marriage is only between a man and a woman. I think people, particularly westerners, need to take a look at the family that they are marrying into and quit buying into the "love conquers all" crap. For me I will never put myself in a situation where I would marry into a family of anti-black racists. I wouldn't want to marry into a family with a bunch of drug addicts, alcoholics, or criminals either.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:07 PM

69 posts, read 62,968 times
Quote:
No I'm not making that assumption. I disagree with you that a marriage is only between a man and a woman. I think people, particularly westerners, need to take a look at the family that they are marrying into and quit buying into the "love conquers all" crap. For me I will never put myself in a situation where I would marry into a family of anti-black racists. I wouldn't want to marry into a family with a bunch of drug addicts, alcoholics, or criminals either.
bingo.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I understand what you're saying. My cousin married a man, I forget what where he was from, but his family was so outspoken about their displeasure of him marrying a black woman that he eventually walked out.

Not everyone is strong enough to stand up to their family and friends and say "this is who I love and chose to spend the rest of my life with. Get with it or get out."

Old 11-02-2009, 10:11 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,295,068 times
If a parent is willing to basically disown their child for interracial hanky panky, they aren't much of a parent.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:53 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,041,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I FOR ONE IAM TOTALLY AGAINST IT! THEY SHOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED TO GET MARRIED! WHAT KIND OF LIFESTYLE DO THESE PEOPLE HAVE!

oh interracial marriage? I thought you said interspecies marriage......oops!
Glad I don't live in Pittsburgh.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:11 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,258,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I had a white roommate once; she was pretty cool but her parents were nuts. Her mom talked to me like I was retarded and her dad always treated me like he expected me to steal something. Once when I was doing laundry and I asked her if there was any bleach left I heard him ask her (in a not so very quiet voice) why I was using her bleach. She told him we basically chipped in on cleaning supplies because I had a Sams membership and we'd buy in bulk. He told her (again in not a very quiet voice) to make sure I was buying my share and she should probably buy her own and keep it in her room.
I'd have a fit if my son ending up dating someone with a father like that. A fit and probably quite a few altercations
That isn't necessarily racist. That just sounds like the rantings of an cheap parent and I've met my fair share of those.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
That isn't necessarily racist. That just sounds like the rantings of an cheap parent and I've met my fair share of those.
No we lived in a 4X4 and they didn't treat the other two girls like that (even though was flaming pothead) My roommate - who was really cool despite her idiot parents - said they weren't used to being around black people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies