Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you approve or disapprove of interracial marriage?
I approve of interracial marriage 163 83.59%
I disapprove of interracial marriage 29 14.87%
Not sure 3 1.54%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 12:28 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I have so much faith that the younger generation is going to make this country a much better place for everybody.
You can have faith in us. I certainly hope so.

I can see us doing it up to a point though. Most of my generation is just lazy and addicted to technology but yes. We will be much much more opened minded.

Many people my age do not care about race or gender when it comes to marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 12:28 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Yes, you are right. But we are nowhere as bad as Muslims.

Indian parents might find it in them to forgive and forget, you know? They are more compassionate. Muslim parents NEVER will.

If you think Indians are least likely to marry outside of their beliefs/race, think about Muslims. Yikes!

For example, my best friend is a Muslim. Her mom tells her she MUST marry a Muslim man as well. But her brothers can marry whoever, whatever race. It is kinda the same in the Indian culture too but not as bad. Like my Indian male cousin can date whoever, whatever race. No one bats an eye. But then again it depends on the parents too. I am Indian but would not oppose my child marrying outside or race/religion.
Your parents might be strict but the Indians I know seem to be the most accepting of minority groups toward interracial dating and marriages. The British lived and occupied India for centuries so many Indians have British ancestry. I felt there was more backlash with an Indian (Hindu) marrying a Muslim. I'm sorry your situation is the way it is but I've haven't witnessed that in my part of the country. On the west coast, Indian-White marriages are fairly commonplace.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:29 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Likewise, I would ask you not to stereotype Indians
Where did I do that; I was agreeing with the female Indian poster.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
This why I consistently refer to that farcical, backwards party as the Regressives. The Dubya Dark Ages solidified that.
Why is everyone of your posts so partisan; it's always "us against them" in everything that you write.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Another poster from Greenville (Frankie 117) was suggesting just the opposite and that it is still a bit of an issue in the south especially when its white/black.
Exactly, I would like Sonrise to address this discrepancy.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:32 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Your parents might be strict but the Indians I know seem to be the most accepting of minority groups toward interracial dating and marriages. The British lived and occupied India for centuries so many Indians have British ancestry. I felt there was more backlash with an Indian (Hindu) marrying a Muslim. I'm sorry your situation is the way it is but I've haven't witnessed that in my part of the country. On the west coast, Indian-White marriages are fairly commonplace.
If you do not mind, can you please disclose what country you speak of?

Oh yes. Marrying a Muslim is the ultimate NO NO NO NO NO..especially if you are Hindu or Sikh. I think my dad might actually behead me if I did that. It all depends on the parents too. Like Muslims, I know they will not ever do that. But some Indians, it might. I am Indian but if my child brought home a white person, I would be ok after I knew what kind of person he/she was dating. Race is just a color to me.

Ah, no need to be sorry. Not your fault. I will have to find a way to manage and thank my lucky stars that I am in the USA where I can marry who I want and live as I please.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Where did I do that; I was agreeing with the female Indian poster.
This is your quote below

"Yeah, my bad. I know there is a ton of pressure in the Indian community to marry a fellow Indian. In my observations I can only think of one time where I saw a mixed race couple and one of the spouses was Indian. Indians are probably the least likely of any culture to marry outside of theirs."

Old 10-16-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac101964 View Post
Another example of world readers getting another example of U.S. Southern racism.. Then the next thing that happens is the U.S. is telling someone else somewhere in the world to get along and advice on human rights.. I'm American and when I travel abroad and talk with people this topic comes up all the time about the South in particular.
It's annoying and stupid. The South is the only area of the country that has an Indian American governor and a Vietnamese American congressman; both conservative republicans, elected by us racists conservatives.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
If you do not mind, can you please disclose what country you speak of?
I didn't say country. I said in my part of the country referencing the West Coast.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:35 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,921,797 times
the south is still out of touch with the rest of the country. i know some of those schools still have segregated proms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies