Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 09:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
As I've said, mine is imminent meaning I'm defending soon. It's going to be in the field I described from an well regarded school, esp. in this particular research concentration. You replied OT concerning my witticism, as your reverse psychology induced story about your "rocket scientist husband". When you make up a story about an environmental scientist for a husband, you be sure to let me know.
This is all OT and likely to get us an infraction or at least a deletion, but the story is NOT made up. Sorry you're so insecure you have to think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 10:15 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This is all OT and likely to get us an infraction or at least a deletion, but the story is NOT made up. Sorry you're so insecure you have to think so.
"It's not made up, darn it. My hubby is a rocket scientist and blows stuff up!!!"

Say hi to MacGruber for me!

http://www.hulu.com/watch/1433/saturday-night-live-macgruber-1 (broken link)

Old 10-17-2009, 11:26 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
It snowed in Germany this week, as well.
Last week there were record highs; this week, record lows.

After all of the threads you've started on global warming, and I believe that number is now 6 or more, do you read anything that others post?

You're not understanding macro and micro climates.
You also seem to lack the breadth of understanding to see that the US is only part of the world.
You might want to look at Asian weather, perhaps a short study of the last month would be in order.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:33 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
When the entire nation is talking about how much cooler it was this year, and how it has gotten colder quicker this year, it pretty much ends your argument about it being "Local" now doesn't it?

There is no man made global warming, we have to little impact one way or the other to affect the entire globe temperature wise. Now pollution is another beast altogether, for all of you health nuts that drink nothing but bottled water, go look up the Great Pacific Garbage Patch and rethink your drinking trends.
that disgusting mess is the world's shipping industry that is dumping waste into the oceans, not some guy in Ohio that tosses a plastic bottle in the trash. I wonder sometimes if some countries are not shipping their garbage out to sea and dumping it, like their private garbage disposal.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
In the 25 years I've lived in Boston, it has never snowed in mid-October, to the best of my recollection.

How many times do the global warming deniers have to be told that weather is not the same as climate.

Climate change--or "global warming"--manifests in erratic weather patterns, not in how "hot" or "cold" it is. To equate a snowfall with "evidence" of there being no such thing as global warming is to think like a child.
Yes we know, any change in weather to you people is a sign from God and Earth Mother Gaia, that man-induced global warming is happening.

too hot
too cold
too dry
too wet
too benign
too stormy
too many hurricanes
not enough hurricanes
too cloudy
too sunny

All of it, any of it, none of it, it really does not really matter because to you folks everything and anything is a sign of more proof for man-induced global climate change. Freaking infantile, to say the least.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:52 AM

436 posts, read 874,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
All of it, any of it, none of it, it really does not really matter because to you folks everything and anything is a sign of more proof for man-induced global climate change. Freaking infantile, to say the least.
Sound like you are ready to repeat what dinosaur had been through without regret.
Scientist have done research on global warming long before a guy call Gore to step in and make it a bit political to you.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemeatball View Post
Sound like you are ready to repeat what dinosaur had been through without regret.
Scientist have done research on global warming long before a guy call Gore to step in and make it a bit political to you.
I'm not really sure what you are trying to say here.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:06 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I'm not really sure what you are trying to say here.
He's saying that a bunch of smarty pants with Ph.D.s (whose funding relies on a perception of inevitable doom) claim it's global warming, so therefore their followers say it's global warming.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:48 PM

382 posts, read 1,227,583 times
Both sides have failed in the debate. The liberals have used some bad science to support and further their political agenda. The conservatives have focused on the prospect of new taxes and potential limits on personal freedom while ignoring the economic potential. Just because the science is not perfect does not mean the message should be ignored.

The issue should not be political but rather economic. The environmentalists should have marketed climate change it in a manner that appealed to the fiscally conservative nature and business interests of conservatives. If the federal government were to invest billions in constructing good local and regional public transportation, it would have a greater impact in the reduction of CO2 than cap and trade would. We would also have a tangible product in the end, and it would create jobs.

I think Obama's vision of a national or even regional train is flawed. We need fast, efficient transportation at the local level in the cities with the largest populations. If the twenty largest cities (after New York and excluding San Francisco which already have such systems) were to invest and implement usable public transportation that could get just 50% of the cars off the road, it would effectively reduce the total number of miles driven in the US by 11%. That is like taking one in ten cars off the road.

Liberals: a ten percent reduction would take billions of tons of CO2 out of the air.

Conservatives: think of all the money you could make building such a system.

If we want to use taxes to affect social policy and change, then we should use them in a manner that actually affects change, much the way they do in Europe with the gas tax. If we made it harder for families to own two cars, they might adapt and switch to public transportation. One way to do this would be to tax a second vehicle at a much higher rate than the first vehicle. A second might be to raise the gas taxes by several dollars per gallon and then give a credit back each year based on the average miles driven and average MPG. We could account for rural areas in the process. Commercial vehicles would have similar credits. This would be an equitable way to affect change. We have progressive income taxes. Progressive fuel taxes could also work.

Cars will always be important, and are central to our way of life. If we are serious about the environment, we must provide people an option other than a car. Outside of a few cities, we still do not have viable alternatives. It is hard for us to expect results when we have not provided anybody any other option. Cap and trade will do little to actually lower CO2. That is why I oppose it. It does not actually do anything for the environment. I would rather they just raise the gas tax by $2 per gallon. It would be more honest, and it would change behavior. People would drive less, reducing demand for fuel and increasing demand for public transportation.

We should work toward the day that every family can get by with just one good family-type car (or SUV if they need it), and maybe having a spare for those occasions when they simply can't take the bus or train.

I am less worried about global warming and more worried about the environment in general. But I also have a financial interest that overrides my political interest. Fuel is a precious resource that will only become more scarce in the future. The sooner we can adopt and adapt the better the country will be 100 years from now.

Cleaner air and lower overall household budget expenditures on fuel and vehicles is something both sides should agree on.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:52 PM

206 posts, read 195,765 times
Perhaps the snow in Boston coincides with the polar icecap being free of ice in the summer within the next decade-so goes life in the fast lane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies