Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 05:19 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,633,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
About the same relevance as Elizabeth Smart. You want to lump all cases together about children missing, (or potentially missing) as "Elizabeth Smart", then obviously everyone driving can be lumped together with car accidents right? The fact that you recognize that the car accident has nothing to do with it, neither does Elizabeth Smart.
The scenario is a kidnapping - what part of that are you not understanding?
not at all, I'm all for a gun totin, rootin tootin society where you can shoot individuals for walking across your yard, or when they wreck their car into yours you can get out and bang their head against their windshield to call it even..
Did I say anything about guns? Or shooting people? No, I didn't - and you sound desperate when you start making shiiite up to make your 'case' stronger.
Seriously though, reality is that just because you see a guy walking down the street holding a girl yelling "your not my daddy", this does not always mean that there is a kidnapping going on.
In this case that was exactly what was happening. They were pretending it was a kidnapping - not a brat.
Am I qualified to determine what is going on?
Do I have the propert training to question or even detain the man in question?
If there was a real obduction going on and I was to appoach the man, what would happen if he runs off and gets away?
Um, the girl would be alive......
Yes, obviously the girl would be safe but my preference is the man gets apprehended so he doesnt go kidnap another child the next day.
True, why settle for a kidnapping charge when you can possibly make a case for rape and murder.
Even worse, what if you approach the man and he pulls out a gun or knife and holds it against the girls head, turning it into a hostage situation? I'm surely not qualified to resolve that issue and then obviously we HAVE to call the police and wait for their arrival, provided of course the man doesnt get in the vehicle and get away.
So what? How many children are allowed to live after having been kidnapped by a guy so desperate that he would pull a knife or a gun when confronted? The girl is more in danger being allowed to be kidnapped.
I would much rather call the police while the man is walking down the street where I can keep an eye on him, know where he's going, make him think no one is paying attention, and assist the police to apprehend and gathering information to properly prosecute so other children can be protected rather than approaching an individual and possibly allowing him to get away.
What? Do you think that he was going to walk this girl miles to his house? What would you do if he took off in a car with her? What if he deliberately muddied his lisence plates so that you would be unable to read it? What then?
I can see why some individuals would deem that safety the girl is the most important issue, but watching the video she is not in any imminant danger. Surely she's unfortable with a stranger holding her coat walking her down the street, but I would consider her discomfort not "unsafe". Obviously, if they were getting out of my range where I couldnt see them anymore she could be in imminant danger at which point I most likely would step in, but my priority would be apprehension and consider the discomfort acceptable for the next 3-4 minutes until the police would arrive.
Oh, so now you would interfere. As I said before - what are the chances he is going to walk for miles with this girl? Of course he is going to get into a car at some point. Would you rather confront him in an out of the way locale where there is no potential backup from other bystanders? You make no sense - frankly you are backpedaling and not that well.
If I was a parent in the neighborhood, would I feel better with my child being held by the coat by a stranger who got away, or would I feel better knowing that a stranger grabbed my child, walked them down the street, but was apprehended and taken off the street for years? I think the latter
First you complain that those three guys were going to apprehend the stranger. Now you complain that they would allow him to get away. Which is it? I don't believe those guys were going to give the abductor a beating but I do believe that they would have apprehended him and kept him till police showed.

As a parent I would rather risk the azzhole getting away then gamble that some cowardly b*sterd might make a phone call to the police if he/she should lose sight of my child. Because the chances are better that such a person would find any reason to stop tailing the abductor and start re-minding their own business.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 08:40 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,573,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2flyy View Post
I disagree MOMONKEY, no one here (especially me) said that Blacks were unfairly branded as criminals....
The point I made in starting this thread is that I generally see (young) Blacks as criminals or ppl who dont give a damn (I know sad huh?) and this video turned my stereotypes on his head.
I was shocked that the two black kids were looking to help out in that manner.

Like I've said many times I feel the video is a positive for these young blacks in the mist of all the negatives we see on tv/videos showing young blacks being violent (recent Chicago beating)

**I want to post a private message I received (ive gotten his permission) and I thought it was extremely touching**

"But I am one of your white brothers.

I've known so many black people in my life that have been so good to me, and have reached out to help me through hard times. Really, REALLY hard times. These folks have taught me the true meaning of friendship.

The suffering that black Americans have had to endure over the decades and still persevere. THERE is real strength my Brother. I'm ashamed of what my ancestors have done, but I am seeing so many positive changes, although racism still does exist.

When you're down and out, and have nowhere to turn... If you first look at the color of the hand that is reaching down to lift you up, you don't deserve the help that you are being offered.

God Bless you Brother."

Thanks!
is it not enough that many people died in the civil war to free slaves.like I siad before there are bad people and there are good people and the good people won are you ashame of this also. your ancestors might have been on the good side fihgting to free the black men.do you know?

Old 10-18-2009, 08:58 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,323,715 times
I live in the town NBC staged their "kidnap" drama and as proud as people were of the two young men who jumped in (they were local heroes), they were annoyed with NBC at the staging of the whole thing.

If I recall correctly, the event took place somewhere between 10-11 AM. This is a small city that fell apart economically for awhile. All the major stores and theaters closed or moved. The downtown is only just recovering from many bad years and the downtown has a very nitty-gritty feel to it. At that time of day, all the commuters heading through town for the train station are off to NYC. The crowds of Mexican day laborers have been hired and are off working and the merchants are in their stores. The streets aren't that crowded. Many people don't speak English and older people have learned to keep their heads down and mind their own business.

I'd love to see NBC stage this in front of a crowd of day laborers, many of them fathers off to work, or in front of a train staion full of commuters. They picked a perfect area to stage their little drama.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:54 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,368,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2flyy View Post
All that babble and still have not cited one time someone was charged for a crime when their INTENT was to save a victim
Similar to the video from this thread....
It happened on The Incredibles.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:16 AM

450 posts, read 502,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
It happened on The Incredibles.
LMAO!!!! I had thought the same exact thing. I love that movie! My favorite Pixar (or any animated film) of all time!

Old 10-19-2009, 10:09 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
First you complain that those three guys were going to apprehend the stranger. Now you complain that they would allow him to get away. Which is it? I don't believe those guys were going to give the abductor a beating but I do believe that they would have apprehended him and kept him till police showed.

As a parent I would rather risk the azzhole getting away then gamble that some cowardly b*sterd might make a phone call to the police if he/she should lose sight of my child. Because the chances are better that such a person would find any reason to stop tailing the abductor and start re-minding their own business.
Wrong, I never complained that the guys stepped in, I complained that they dont have the skills or training to apprehend and detain an individual and they sure in the heck are not trained on how to not make the situation worse. What could be a kidnapping, could turn out to be a hostage situation.

And as a parent, I would feel much safer tomorrow when my kid walks down the same street they walk down everyday knowing that the individual was apprehended. What are you going to do, sit and live in fear everytime your kid walks home from school (assuming this would have happened during their walking home?)

All of your comments about him not going to walk for miles with the girl actually supports my argument, he's not going to obviously be walking for miles down the street with her, (although in the video, there were no vehiles around for him to get into), and if the man was to get into a vehicle and get away, I'd much rather police be closer to the suspect to make it much easier to find and apprehened because I called them already, vs waiting until he's actually driving away.

Its not cowardly to stop and think about possible outcomes, and actually take steps that would protect the child in question in the event things get worse. You may be all fine with the perpetrator pulling out a gun and using them as a hostage situation to get away from untrained individuals, but I'd feel much better if this did turn into a hostage situation knowing the police, individuals who are trained to handle such things were there rather than myself.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:31 AM

282 posts, read 525,946 times
Did you guys happen too see all the comments below that video about the trash they were talking about white people? It is kinda funny, Black people always **** and moan about people judging them on their color and blah blah blah..Black people are the same way against white people. In my experiences when I hear people talking out loud about race it is always the black people who are making a big stink about everything...black people talk so much crap about white people ALL THE TIME. If they want people to stop judging them, they should stop judging others as well. Practice what you preach!!

Old 10-19-2009, 10:56 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,980,409 times
Kudos for those two outstanding American citizens. I would shake their hands if I knew where they lived.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:56 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,368,412 times
And the award for most comedic post on CD goes to....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2redheads View Post
Did you guys happen too see all the comments below that video about the trash they were talking about white people? It is kinda funny, Black people always **** and moan about people judging them on their color and blah blah blah..Black people are the same way against white people. In my experiences when I hear people talking out loud about race it is always the black people who are making a big stink about everything...black people talk so much crap about white people ALL THE TIME. If they want people to stop judging them, they should stop judging others as well. Practice what you preach!!

Old 10-19-2009, 11:12 AM

282 posts, read 525,946 times
I am just saying....it seems like everything is always about black or white..and it's not. This video is about 2 guys helping out a little girl and then it turns into a race issue about black and white.

Glad you think I should get an award though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies