Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 10:06 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,809,609 times

Advertisements

Was this was all by purposeful design?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 10:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
I'd like to think it was driven by greed and then an "oh sh*t" moment when they realized they went too far.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:24 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,809,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'd like to think it was driven by greed and then an "oh sh*t" moment when they realized they went too far.
I have yet to hear one of the Conservatives admit that the wars were a disaster for the American economy.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:46 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Was this was all by purposeful design?
I think it was more of a result of a government attempting to give the people what they most desired, cheap goods and cheap energy.

Once again, Bacevich said it far better than I ever could.

Quote:
"The pursuit of freedom, as defined in an age of consumerism, has induced a condition of dependence on imported goods, on imported oil, and on credit. The chief desire of the American people," you write, "is that nothing should disrupt their access to these goods, that oil, and that credit. The chief aim of the U.S. government is to satisfy that desire, which it does in part of through the distribution of largesse here at home, and in part through the pursuit of imperial ambitions abroad." In other words, you're saying that our foreign policy is the result of a dependence on consumer goods and credit.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:50 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,965 times
Quote:
I have yet to hear one of the Conservatives admit that the wars were a disaster for the American economy.
Yes, what I have found simply amazing about our most recent wars is the massive difference in the economic boost usually associated with a war. Commonly, wartime triggers a massive boost to the economy, with factories swinging into high gear and all manner of things become in demand. But this time around, we ended up in a recession. Not only did we go to war for unjust causes, we failed to deliver the one good thing that usually accompanies war. All in all, we have been massive losers on this whole deal.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:16 AM

37,952 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
You got one right here.
Our overseas empire is not only costing us a ton of money each year, more importantly it is costing the lives of our citizens. The brave men and women who serve our country should be here, on our soil, protecting us at home. We shouldn't be policing the world, and expanding our empire, especially when we have so many problems here.
We get involved in problems that are not ours and too many times we throw gasoline on the fire. We even sacrifice our own people in a power struggle for the Middle East. We should never forget the USS Liberty.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:27 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times
Quote:
Really? I know a few conservatives (very few) that say the combination of lowering taxes during when we're at war was bad, bad, bad.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:38 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
What about the non-conservatives in Congress who voted for the wars?

What hurt the economy more than the wars was the overspending in general. IIRC, Pres. Bush spent more on domestic social programs than Pres. Clinton did!

Not to mention the billions of dollars illegal aliens cost the taxpayers every year.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:53 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times
I have found that we have a lot of synthetic clothing during wars. Some of that stuff from my early hippie days disintegrated. I notice really horrible sleazey fabric at the stores, and in the thrift shops. I see the stuff disintegrating, and threads pulling apart. Kids costumes are so cheap o rama. I see a lot of crap at yard sales. Some yard sales are depressing. Everything is made from an oil product. Toys, car seat covers, synthetic everything. I hate things that feel cheap and fake, especially if I would have to wear them. I like quality plastics, but some of the junk sold nowadays is dreadful. I am not saying this to disrespect people who can't afford better. I recall when we made our own stuff here in the States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies