Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 10:54 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But they didn't have massive job losses and runaway unemployment or a total meltdown in housing.

You really have to look at the entire picture to compare..not just tiny pieces of it.
Doesn't that give Reagan and Bush Sr a lesser excuse to run a big deficit during that time because it was not required? Also, Bush Jr was doing the same thing that's being done now...he had the same thing to deal with and did the same thing (stimulus, deficit, increasing taxes and cutting programs).

The OP posted one small picture of it, I addressed the small picture of it. Saying I am incorrect because I addressed the comment instead of addressing everything that could ever be said about economics is very silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 11:00 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Doesn't that give Reagan and Bush Sr a lesser excuse to run a big deficit during that time because it was not required? Also, Bush Jr was doing the same thing that's being done now...he had the same thing to deal with and did the same thing (stimulus, deficit, increasing taxes and cutting programs).

The OP posted one small picture of it, I addressed the small picture of it. Saying I am incorrect because I addressed the comment instead of addressing everything that could ever be said about economics is very silly.
No I didn't say that. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I was merely suggesting that looking at the bigger picture of times when comparing what previous Presidents did could give a better reason as to why they did it.

Budgets increase, deficits increase with each administration. Sometimes they are justified, other times not. It depends on the "time" when it happened. And that's just my opinion.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:47 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times
I see that you have now expanded your repertoire. I guess the endless repetitition of anti- climate change threads was getting a little too obvious.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:39 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Its sad when the best effort to dispute the facts becomes "slow news day"
How does "slow news day" come to be an attempt to dispute the facts? Are you simply not familiar with the phrase? It is by now very old news that we are running very significant deficits, and even older news that the reason for that is the sheer malfeasance of the Republicans and their friends over the eight years that preceded this one.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
But they didn't have massive job losses and runaway unemployment or a total meltdown in housing.
Just to set the record straight, Reagan had ten straight months with unemployment over 10% and the last housing meltdown occurred under Bush-41. That one wasn't as "total" as this one, but it was way more than noticeable nonetheless...

Old 10-17-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I should update my status with "Debt is wealth", and make sure I credit saganista (TM) for it.
You could actually stand updating a lot more than just that on the basis of things that I've said.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman View Post
The economy keeps tanking.
And the guy with the parachute keeps falling. But he comes to land safely and walk away. Bushie = No Parachute, Baby.

Quote:
We still have 2 wars
We have gone from 2 wars to 1.5 wars and the .5 is on its way out thanks to the plan that Obama proposed and is now in charge of.

Quote:
Foreign policy is a joke, china, russia, and Iran are pushing us around
We suddenly have more friends than just Albania. Our head of foreign policy has masterfully orchestrated an international detente over and response to the global financial crisis that the Bushies manufactured, and he has just won the Nobel Peace Prize for his reversal of inanely presumptive policies of exceptionalism and triumphalism and the opening of doors to dialogue where none had been before. Nobody is pushing us around unless you believe that having interests and ideas that are different from those of the US is an example of being overly pushy.

Quote:
Democrats have majorities in both houses and have done almost nothing.
Read a newspaper. This administration's list of accomplishments is mountainous and continuing to grow. In the meantime, you all need to figure out whether it's his massive agenda and resultant out-of-control spending that you're going to complain over or the fact that he's an ineffectual leader who hasn't done anything. You don't make yourselves look all that bright by trying to complain about both of these things at the same freaking time.

Quote:
They can't even agree among themselves.
Here's a tip: Democrats are not like Republicans. They are not a bunch of passive followers waiting to line up behind every word that drips from the curled lip of some authoritarian leader. Democrats don't live in an intellectual barracks. They have many different rooms that make up one grand house, and from that house has come nearly every bit of progress that this nation has made in most of a century.

Quote:
The President is still blaming Bush for everything. I wish he would shut up and do his job instead of always whining about Bush.
The effects of Bush's great range of unbelievable blunders did not all suddenly fade to black just because January 20, 2009, came along. They are still with us and will be yet for a long time. You'd actually better get used to the idea of Bush being blamed for things. Historians will be doing that very thing for the rest of your natural life. And that of your children and theirs.

Quote:
The stimulus is a complete joke
No, it was and still is a major part of an emergency economic package -- much of it invented on the fly -- that has been a major factor in keeping us and the rest of the developed world from plunging into the jaws of a gaping abyss. The complete joke was the Republican plan to respond to the crisis simply by enacting more tax cuts for the rich and mega-corporations.

Quote:
Healthcare reform is a complete joke
There is nobody who opposes health care reform except those whose pockets are being lined by the status quo at your expense. The proposals that have been developed so far are a tentative first step toward once again moving away from what is a looming disaster. More will need to be done, and more will be done. Some by this President, and some by those who come after. Like Social Security, health care will come to look very different from what we are putting together today. And like Social Security, health care reform will come to stand as an enduring monument to the boldness and wisdom of people who are not Republicans.

Quote:
So please, I beg you. Let's discuss the hope and change......
Sure...I'll defend hope and change, and you can be on the side of disgrace and failure. This should be a real close contest. It's like let's play Battle of the Little Bighorn. You get to be Custer...

Old 10-17-2009, 04:04 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Quote:
No I didn't say that. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I was merely suggesting that looking at the bigger picture of times when comparing what previous Presidents did could give a better reason as to why they did it.

Budgets increase, deficits increase with each administration. Sometimes they are justified, other times not. It depends on the "time" when it happened. And that's just my opinion.
Very true, but these are at a percentage of GDP which sets an index. It is what it is. Everyone can deal with how they feel about it, but many threads have started with the blame for everything on one person (most by this OP)...like Obama is to blame for decades of fiscal mismanagement. Make all the idiots be responsible for their bad budgeting. If times were so good before Obama people should have paid the deficits off instead of increasing them. Too many just dump it on one person they hate illogically like it was a jack in the box that just popped and are blind to history.

It's my opinion that people should save for bad times when times are good, not rack the debt up constantly. Which people have not been doing for decades. We should be careful not to go overboard bow, but set the blame at the feet of those responsible for each part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Just to set the record straight, Reagan had ten straight months with unemployment over 10% and the last housing meltdown occurred under Bush-41. That one wasn't as "total" as this one, but it was way more than noticeable nonetheless...
Dead right, everything wasn't hunky dory all the time till right now. Economies cycle between good and bad times, for centuries.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Economies cycle between good and bad times, for centuries.
For no natural reason. The natural state of a modern economy is gradual but steady expansion. Other outcomes are signs that something either is or has been done wrong. Obviously, some things have been done wrong lately.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:19 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,942,558 times
Quote:
Saganista;There is nobody who opposes health care reform
50% of voters oppose healthcare reform...get your facts straight!!!

Health Care Reform - Rasmussen Reports™
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies