Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2009, 07:02 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times

Advertisements

PLATTSBURGH, N.Y. -- The rise of conservative "tea party" activists around the country has created a dilemma for Republicans. They are breathing life into the party's quest to regain power. But they're also waging war on some candidates hand-picked by GOP leaders as the most likely to win.
..."The tea-party movement, in my judgment, has proven to be very real, but it's precisely the fact that it's real that makes it difficult to take advantage of," says Vin Weber, a former Minnesota congressman and now a top Republican strategist. "They don't want to be co-opted by the Republican Party."

Tea-Party Activists Complicate Republican Comeback Strategy - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 08:10 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
PLATTSBURGH, N.Y. -- The rise of conservative "tea party" activists around the country has created a dilemma for Republicans. They are breathing life into the party's quest to regain power. But they're also waging war on some candidates hand-picked by GOP leaders as the most likely to win.
..."The tea-party movement, in my judgment, has proven to be very real, but it's precisely the fact that it's real that makes it difficult to take advantage of," says Vin Weber, a former Minnesota congressman and now a top Republican strategist. "They don't want to be co-opted by the Republican Party."

Tea-Party Activists Complicate Republican Comeback Strategy - WSJ.com
Like the Republicans actually had a comeback strategy before the tea parties. If their strategy is a Democrat-lite candidate, why vote Republican when you can have the real thing? My unsolicited Republican snail mail, and I get a lot of it, goes straight to the trash unopened no matter whose name is on it. I'm only supporting conservatives. If they don't put one up next time, they aren't getting my vote or my money. I'd rather give the money and support to conservative think tanks.

I support my conservative Congressman running for Governor.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:19 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,453,150 times
From what I saw of the Tea Party folks here in Dayton, they do not like Obama and the Dems, but they are pretty clear about their dislike of GOP RINOs, too. They are are true conservative independents, so the GOP, if they expect to gain support, needs to field people who are more ideologically true-blue vs the get along/go along compromiser types.

From what I've seen the Tea Party is one of the most impressive grass roots political movements to come along in a long time. They filled the courthouse square here in Dayton back last winter and that never happens for a typical political event.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:24 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Most likely they will end up splitting the Republican vote and making it easier for the Dems to get re-elected.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:48 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,327,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
PLATTSBURGH, N.Y. -- The rise of conservative "tea party" activists around the country has created a dilemma for Republicans.
The MSM always seems to get it wrong. A lot of tea party folk I met are not conservatives. Many of them don't have a political bone in their bodies and many have never been to a rally or demonstration of any kind.

They come from all ends of the political spectrum, and are deeply comcerned about where this country is going. Many were happy to see GWB depart the scene, but are deeply concerned about the direction of this administration and the astonishing debt it is piling on this country.

A liberal administration is shoving bill after bill down their throats as fast as it can, people are saying enough, slow down. I strongly doubt this will split the GOP vote, however, Republicans going along with these bills will probably be tossed out.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:48 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,215,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Most likely they will end up splitting the Republican vote and making it easier for the Dems to get re-elected.
Or, in reliably red areas, getting the really insane GOPers elected (like Bill Sali from Idaho - until he was beaten by a moderate Dem in 2008).

Old 10-17-2009, 08:51 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
The tea baggers are finally realizing they are being used but the country club Republicans. They consistently vote for these people and get nothing in return.

The Republicans use divisive issues like gays and guns to keep their underling voters in the fold.

Then they slam them hard with taxes.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:26 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
They get what they encourage. They let the ones that spew hatred and political hate lead the way, and are finding out that in doing so they have left a trail of trail of people that now hate them as long as they try and go at it the same angle. One doesn't gain good feelings or patience when one sends people that insult, throw fits, and scream as loud as they can at the people that are outright evil to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies