Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 09:58 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Sounds like Captain Bligh. Im so sorry. The Iwo Jima had an illustrious, heroic history.
Yep, he was pretty much hated. The guys said after the accident he went to everyone still alive in engineering dept asking them for their support in the investigation. They flat out told him he could count on them to tell the truth. Instead of accepting responsibility for his part in their deaths, he always blamed engineering dept for his fall from grace. Our life didn't get easier until he was removed from command. The new captain was better. When we decommissioned the ship in 1993, we had improved upon the ship so much that passersby asked if we were commissioning a new ship. Part if it's history included Vietnam, Apollo 13, rescuing the victims of the bombing of the Marine barracks in Beiruit, Desert Storm, and launching search and rescue mission into Bosnia when an Italian supply jet was shot down in 1992. Our helicopters came under fire. They returned fire. The shooting stopped. Sorry, but a traditional soldiers machine gun is no match for the motorized machine gun mounted on the nose of a Cobra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 10:04 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,120 times
Women need to wear a device inside called a "Nut grinder".

Old 10-18-2009, 10:48 AM

sailorbordelon
Here's my personal writing of my time on the ship from November 1990 to returning to Norfolk, VA after Desert Storm.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:09 AM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Well said. The O.P. posted this for one purpose only — to start another anti-Republican, anti-Beck, anti-Limbaugh, etc., etc., thread.

Further, I seriously question the credibility of the story. One would have to see these contracts, and I cannot imagine any company having such a clause, or the claim is based on a general clause in the contract about holding the Company harmless ... blah, blah, blah. I doubt that any contract would specifically say "women, if you are raped while on overseas assignment, you can't sue", which is what this O.P. is trying to say. I suspect something is taken totally out of context.

This is the kind of sensationalism that is too often used to start a thread and gain points for the OP (if only in his mind). There is another poster on this Forum that does this, and probably has started more threads than all the rest of us combined.
So I guess Ted Poe R-TX is a huge liar as well? Absolutely sickening that you are defending this.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:10 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
sailorbordelon
Here's my personal writing of my time on the ship from November 1990 to returning to Norfolk, VA after Desert Storm.
I cant imagine what it was like. All I can do is stand around helplessly like a civilian and observe that you're a very good writer, and (((hug)))

Old 10-18-2009, 11:46 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
The bigger topic is the accommodation liberals make for rapists they happen to agree with politically and their use of rape as a political tool. Sorry you can't deal with the hypocrisy of your side on the issue.
OK, let's say this Halliburton revelation and the Republican refusal to address it occurred before Roman Polanski got caught. What would be your beef then?

Honestly, your response to a heartless act made by some Republican lawmakers is entirely suspect since you deflect the argument (weakly, I might add) to the people you despise. I'd say you support those Republicans because you seem to be justifying their response. So, go Halliburton, I guess?

I've never heard of liberals supporting rape and if I did, I'd have the intelligence to realize that that opinion is not representative of the entire group. Your blanket generalizing of all liberals needs serious reflection. I'd turn off Fox and WND and regain the splendor of the real world.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:56 AM

I don't think the stipulation in the contract against lawsuits was to cover for rape. I think the original intent was protection from lawsuits for the normal types of deaths or injuries one could potentially receive when working in a hostile war zone type area. Instead of using it as a shield, they should have come forward and been proactive in her defense and helped the government to go after those involved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
OK, let's say this Halliburton revelation and the Republican refusal to address it occurred before Roman Polanski got caught. What would be your beef then?

Honestly, your response to a heartless act made by some Republican lawmakers is entirely suspect since you deflect the argument (weakly, I might add) to the people you despise. I'd say you support those Republicans because you seem to be justifying their response. So, go Halliburton, I guess?

I've never heard of liberals supporting rape and if I did, I'd have the intelligence to realize that that opinion is not representative of the entire group. Your blanket generalizing of all liberals needs serious reflection. I'd turn off Fox and WND and regain the splendor of the real world.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:05 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Some will find any excuse they can to smear Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, and others; even an obscure (and probably untrue) story about a supposed rape case!

I suppose you think it's their fault?
No, I am saying they'd be all over it if the same incident had happened at ACORN, but now that it happend at Republican step-child Halliburton, they don't say a word about it.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, I am saying they'd be all over it if the same incident had happened at ACORN, but now that it happend at Republican step-child Halliburton, they don't say a word about it.
They don't, but I do. My dad worked for Halliburton in the oil tool side. He's heard of the subsidiaries and said they practically run as their own company. It's likely that a subsidiary did something that the main company didn't know about or were lied to about.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:10 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,687 times
So what have Obama and his party done to prevent this in the future ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies