Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 08:33 AM

101 posts, read 61,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Yep. And if you are black and look a little shifty and the cops see you walking down the street wearing a MalcomX tshirt don't be alarmed if they stop you and ask you for ID. They are only doing their job. This isn't the sixties anymore.
You still comparing tee-shirts to guns? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Actually, you posted something about concealed carry, which doesn't pertain to this situation, and then you posted something about LEOs being able to enforce local ordinances and regulations, but you didn't post the ordinance(s) and/or regulation(s) being violated. That's what I want to see - the actual, specific law being violated.
I did post open carry..Keep looking champ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
I have carried in public too many times to count and have only had one incident. It involved some snooty ladies who refused to leash their dogs. Maybe in your city, but not mine.
More unverifiable personal stories. I'm glad they took exception. Your rights weren't violated and you beloved gun wasn't taken. Police are allowed to do their jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I think you misunderstood.

You personally guaranteed that if I were to walk down the street "in any city in America" with a gun on my side, I'd be stopped. That's what you said. Clear on that?

Ok, now, if I walk down the strip today, with a gun on my side, and I'm not "stopped," what do I get? Is there anything meaningful behind your "guarantee"?
As I can see, you aren't worth spending much time debating if you can't understand the simplest things. You're trying to be funny but you aren't. Major fail..

Old 10-19-2009, 08:36 AM

558 posts, read 818,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSEG View Post
He approached the Officer with camera and gun ..Demonstrate he's free?
Well, now that you mention it, yes it does, but I was referring to what transpired afterwards.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheShell View Post
Well, now that you mention it, yes it does, but I was referring to what transpired afterwards.
When again will we use common sense in this country? This whole youtube stunt is just like balloon boy..This guy wanted publicity so he walks up to a cop at an abortion clinic with a camera and a gun..So freaking stupid but folks who absurdly believe their "losing" something applaud this contrived stunt. There re far better ways to prove a point or make a statement. This guy is a total clown.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:50 AM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
I did post open carry..Keep looking champ.
You have six posts in this thread referencing the term "open carry." Of those six, the only one in which you're citing any laws or regulations is this one, which is the post I was referring to where you stated that LEOs can enforce local ordinances and regulations.

What you did NOT post is the actual ordinance or regulation that you believe the videographer was violating.

Keep looking, champ.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Do we just ignore that his loberty wasn't interrupted? The officer did not come looking for him, did not see him walking innocently by and go stop him, didn't take away his gun, didn't infringe a single right? The guy interrupted the officer. Loudly and with a purpose, he stepped into what the officer was doing. Then and only then did the officer want to know who he was, what he wanted, and whether he was old enough to carry a gun. HE created this situation, the officer did not.
It's hard to know for sure, but from the video it looked like he was still about as far away as the other people when they asked him to put the phone away. He didn't open his mouth until they asked him to put the phone away. I didn't see him interfere. In fact, I suspect if the officer hadn't overreacted nothing would have came of it.

Quote:
Yes, the officer did walk away and not press the issue, possibly because he heard about one of the other guys on the force being sued for doing his job. (I happen to think that was negligent of him, not cool.)
He couldn't detain the guy because he had no reasonable suspicion to do so. Carrying a holstered handgun on public property near an abortion clinic doesn't constitute reasonable suspicion. Therefore, the officer wasn't negligent.

Quote:
Of course, if the guy had then pulled out that pistol and started shooting at abortion doctors as the left the clinic, all the people currently complaining - wrongfully - that this guys rights were somehow infringed would be screaming instead that the cop didn't do his job to protect the people.
If the guy had intended to shoot people in the clinic, he probably woulnd't have carried his pistol openly or approached with a camera.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:55 AM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
As I can see, you aren't worth spending much time debating if you can't understand the simplest things. You're trying to be funny but you aren't. Major fail..
I guess that's a "no" then; there's nothing behind your "guarantee."

As for not understanding the simplest things, you were the one going on for several pages about how this guy was violating concealed carry laws - even going so far as to cite those laws - when the guy wasn't carrying concealed.

Your repeated demonstrations of ignorance not only of the basic concepts surrounding this incident, but of the laws in question, lead me to believe that you're just another anti-gun nut, with little to no understanding whatsoever of the laws surrounding firearms in this country.

"Major fail"?

Old 10-19-2009, 08:55 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
The fact that armed protesters can gather in front of a reproductive health clinic is an indication to me that some laws need to be changed. I think we've had eight people murdered by these protesters.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
When again will we use common sense in this country? This whole youtube stunt is just like balloon boy..This guy wanted publicity so he walks up to a cop at an abortion clinic with a camera and a gun..So freaking stupid but folks who absurdly believe their "losing" something applaud this contrived stunt. There re far better ways to prove a point or make a statement. This guy is a total clown.
I agree with you here but for different reasons. I think it's disrespectful to stand outside an abortion clinic with a pistol. But I also think it's important to bring attention to the fact that people don't have to be blindly obedient to authority.

In general (i.e. not referring to this specific situation) do you see anything wrong with legally open-carrying a holstered handgun in a city?

Old 10-19-2009, 09:04 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
The fact that armed protesters can gather in front of a reproductive health clinic is an indication to me that some laws need to be changed. I think we've had eight people murdered by these protesters.
Typical liberal rationale. Lets make a new law to oppress the rights of others. Nevermind the fact that making such a law would do nothing to discourage those that are hell bent on killing an abortion provider.

Do you really think that a person assembling in front of a clinic with a pistol on his/her side is actually planning to shoot an abortion doctor? How many criminals do you know that stand around and let everyone identify him from head to toe, from the color of hair to the clothes he's wearing, before he commits to perpetrating the crime? While he's at it, why don't he wear a sandwich sign professing his intent?

Fear those that are invisible, not those that are exercising their constitutional rights.

Liberal rationale is just plain stupid sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies