Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:01 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,380 times

Advertisements

Again how does that equate to a person having the right to healthcare???

Because life is a right. It's pretty simple.

No we don't.

Tell that to my uncle...oh wait he's dead. He was denied treatment that would save his life. We almost went through the same ordeal with my sister in law. My uncle had melanoma. My sister in law had hodgkins lymphoma.

That is a choice,you can choose otherwise.

Not a choice. I used to work in the insurance industry. If you want to get covered, by God I hope you have excellent benefits at your work, or ar super-human. Otherwise private coverage is VERY pricey.

How would you get this right to healthcare?
Where would it come from?

Well, we could start by reducing waste in the goverment. We could pull out of Iraq. We could tax the richest Americans again. Sorry, just don't understand how people are so blinded by their own experiences that they are ignorant to experiences of those around them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 11:09 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post

You aren't being denied life...

Quote:
No we don't.

Tell that to my uncle...oh wait he's dead. He was denied treatment that would save his life. We almost went through the same ordeal with my sister in law. My uncle had melanoma. My sister in law had hodgkins lymphoma.
Okay...if you say so.
How come illegals get treated?

Quote:

Not a choice. I used to work in the insurance industry. If you want to get covered, by God I hope you have excellent benefits at your work, or ar super-human. Otherwise private coverage is VERY pricey.
You are going to pay somewhere along the line...either through increased taxes(making others pay partly for you) or actually paying for it yourself.

Quote:

Well, we could start by reducing waste in the goverment. We could pull out of Iraq. We could tax the richest Americans again. Sorry, just don't understand how people are so blinded by their own experiences that they are ignorant to experiences of those around them.
We cannot pull out of Iraq,Obama is committed to maintaining 65,000 troops there.

Why exactly should one man pay more than another simply because he has more money?

You seem to want others to pay for you...

That certainly would seem to go against life liberty and the pursuit of happiness for those richer than you...

Old 10-19-2009, 11:20 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,380 times

How dare you. MY uncle died since the treatment was "experiemental" though it had a VERY high success rate. He didn't have to die. This was with health insurance btw.

Okay...if you say so.

The majority don't.

You are going to pay somewhere along the line...either through increased taxes(making others pay partly for you) or actually paying for it yourself.

Because healthcare is a business that is more concerned in denial of treatment in order to obtain a profit. If you have a system with shared costs, this eliminates this denial mentality. Rather, a collective good mentality emerges.

We cannot pull out of Iraq,Obama is committed to maintaining 65,000 troops there.

Well, we should. We still can. The ability is still there. However, a lack of political ambition.

Why exactly should one man pay more than another simply because he has more money?

Because it's the right thing to do. I gladly give to charity because I'm decent person. My parents gladly pay taxes (they are now retired, but prior to retirement made in the 20%) because they felt that providing services to the lowest segment of the population is right. They instilled that selfish thinking is not okay. Helping your fellow man and all...

No, I feel that the system is broke and we need to take care of the poorest segments of our population.

That certainly would seem to go against life liberty and the pursuit of happiness for those richer than you...

Not really. Seeing how we aren't taking their property, and how they will still be making an obscene amount of money...they'll be fine. Now the new college grad, the middle income person with cancer, the laid off blue collar worker, they have a lot to worry about. Not even talking about the poorest of the poor. The majority of those without health insurance are self identified as middle class. That's scary when the middle class of a nation isn't insured.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:22 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post

I keep seeing people say that...............

But waiting to get shot, hit by a bus or having a cold turn to pneumonia isn't exactly what they want to get for the treatment they need.

Walk in with a non life threating condition and see where they in the ER tell you to go.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:25 AM
obo

916 posts, read 985,862 times
Quote:

No we don't.

Not a right

Old 10-19-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:

How dare you. MY uncle died since the treatment was "experiemental" though it had a VERY high success rate. He didn't have to die. This was with health insurance btw.
Why was the treatment considered experimental in the first place?
What was stopping him from getting the treatment without insurance?

Quote:
Okay...if you say so.

The majority don't.
Proof?

Quote:

Because healthcare is a business that is more concerned in denial of treatment in order to obtain a profit. If you have a system with shared costs, this eliminates this denial mentality. Rather, a collective good mentality emerges.
So you want to change healthcare from a business for profit to... what exactly?
Is it to the benefit of the collective good to spend $1000,000 on one person for example?
Obviously not,especially if the $1000,000 could be spent on keeping 100 people healthy....
Do you agree?

Quote:

Well, we should. We still can. The ability is still there. However, a lack of political ambition.
Agreed,I will go further and think the USA should withdraw from ALL foreign nations and cease ALL foreign aid and payments..

Do you agree?

Quote:

Because it's the right thing to do. I gladly give to charity because I'm decent person. My parents gladly pay taxes (they are now retired, but prior to retirement made in the 20%) because they felt that providing services to the lowest segment of the population is right. They instilled that selfish thinking is not okay. Helping your fellow man and all...
But you aren't wanting to give the person a choice,you want to force him to give(this is not giving by the way,it is coercion).

Quote:

No, I feel that the system is broke and we need to take care of the poorest segments of our population.
We do.There are several gov. run programs already in place for the poorest segments of our society.

Quote:

Not really. Seeing how we aren't taking their property, and how they will still be making an obscene amount of money...they'll be fine. Now the new college grad, the middle income person with cancer, the laid off blue collar worker, they have a lot to worry about. Not even talking about the poorest of the poor. The majority of those without health insurance are self identified as middle class. That's scary when the middle class of a nation isn't insured.

Their money is THEIRS,forcing them to surrender it is coercion and certainly wouldn't help in their pursuit of happiness...

Old 10-19-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
I keep seeing people say that...............

But waiting to get shot, hit by a bus or having a cold turn to pneumonia isn't exactly what they want to get for the treatment they need.

Walk in with a non life threating condition and see where they in the ER tell you to go.
Having been in an ER and see people being treated to various and sundry 'ailments' I disagree...

Having actually seen(well heard) a woman being offered a hospital bed for the rest of the night even though there was nothing wrong noted in any of the tests run I would say those using the ER as their doctor know exactly how to play the system.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:37 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post

So you want to change healthcare from a business for profit to... what exactly?
Is it to the benefit of the collective good to spend $1000,000 on one person for example?
Obviously not,especially if the $1000,000 could be spent on keeping 100 people healthy....
Do you agree?

So. My medication is expensive. Without it, I will not be able to function properly and will probably be put in a wheelchair fairly quickly (among other things...). You are saying that my life is not worth saving because it would cost too much money.

Would you not try to save a relative or close friend who comes down with an affliction if they were unemployed or struggling? What if their claim was denied with their insurance company? You would tell them 'sorry, bummer for you' and go on with your life?

Old 10-19-2009, 11:39 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times
Well the Baucus bill is crap. That is why I am in favor of a public option. The insurance plan should not cost 14,000 a year. This is just a subsidy for the insurance companies. The most cost efficient would be a single payer, but a first step would be a public option.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
So. My medication is expensive. Without it, I will not be able to function properly and will probably be put in a wheelchair fairly quickly (among other things...). You are saying that my life is not worth saving because it would cost too much money.
I am saying the system people are demanding will look at it like this...it is the logical way of doing it.
One person is unimportant to the group....remember that when demanding gov. run anything...I am not in favor of this by the way...simply stating how it will be.

Quote:
Would you not try to save a relative or close friend who comes down with an affliction if they were unemployed or struggling?
I wouldn't need to,medical care is provided.The price one pays is the issue.

Quote:
What if their claim was denied with their insurance company?
You would have received the care needed...you would owe money I guess but so what,you are alive at least....isn't that the issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies