Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 01:19 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,663,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The election tomorrow in Massachusetts will help to determine the direction of these bills in the Congress.

If Scott wins, I look for the Democrats to try to pull some shenanigans to try to delay his swearing in so the Dems can force these bills down our collective throats.
Watch for it if he wins. They're in a huddle right now trying to figure out how to get that bill rammed through, just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I simply disagree with this health care bill and the way they are ramming down our throats without telling us what is in it. Nancy Pelosi is the arrogant one in this picture along with Reid and the rest of the fools who do not care of the costs just want to pass anything at all.
I think you've stated fairly how most of us feel. At least that's how I feel and I doubt if there aren't a lot of others as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Some lawyers are saying that the interim's Senator's term will end immediately after the day of the election.

Kirk Can't Vote After Tuesday
Very interesting article. They sure are frantically searching for a way out of a corner, aren't they. They don't really care whether the bill is right for everyone or not. It's right for Obama, and they must pass it for him.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:24 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,663,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post

Want to know what's in it.. try googling the bill .. heck someone posted a searchable database of what is in both the bills. They can't tell you what is in the merged one yet because they are not finished working it out
Yes, but we would know what they are "working out" if they'd agreed to televise the proceedings, as Obama promised they would.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:42 PM

45,400 posts, read 26,992,566 times
Quote:
Again..other countries manage to give EVERY citizen access to health care without anyone having to go broke or go without because they are not "Rich " enough to afford the care. They also manage to cover all their citizens,yet we pay more than double and in essence leave millions behind.
Other countries do sacrifice better service. It costs more, but our care is better, faster, and more efficient than any in the world.

From the UK - June 2008...

Joshua's 50 mile trek with a broken arm

A FIVE-YEAR-OLD had to be driven 50 miles to be treated for a broken arm after doctors failed to find him a place at seven hospitals.

Joshua Halliday went to Lister Hospital in Stevenage because Wycombe Hospital no longer carries out serious trauma surgery.

Mum Sharon, 44, a children's community nurse who has worked at Wycombe Hospital, said: "I was ashamed to say that I worked for the NHS.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:42 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,044,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I don't know why T.M picked Walmart as an example. Right now in this economic mess, they make far more than I do. Heck, I like Walmart. LOL
I don't know....I doubt you'd ever find her working there... You are right though, these days folks are glad to have a paying job. There are lots of people working jobs that they don't think are ideal right now. They're willing to do what needs to be done to support their families and should be proud of that.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:49 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,301,291 times
This legislation is about more than healthcare at this point. Obama's legacy is now tied to this thing.

People like TM use the work "we" when referring to costs that we will have to pay at the same time admitting she will take a subsidy of thousands per year. She won't pay anything; people like me will.

Americans do care. I want TM to have insurance and care. I object to her tone and stance that people who have done well somehow owe it to her to pay her bills. I proposed a system similar to the German sickness funds. My legislator made it clear that such a plan would not pass as it placed too much burden on the poor.

Other nations do not give their citizens healthcare as asserted by TM. Their citizens pay heavily for it.

TM has too much emotionally tied up in the outcome to make a rational argument.

I hope her business succeeds. I hope she makes $250k per year. I know she will voluntarily give an extra ten percent of her income to the poor.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:49 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,717,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I don't know....I doubt you'd ever find her working there... You are right though, these days folks are glad to have a paying job. There are lots of people working jobs that they don't think are ideal right now. They're willing to do what needs to be done to support their families and should be proud of that.
Amen. I like the people working at Walmart, most of them are displaced construction administration people and you are right, happy to have jobs. I think Mc Donalds is calling me....gotta grab that. Kidding aside, we met a young architect who was the new manager at a local Mc D's recently.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:55 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,717,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
This legislation is about more than healthcare at this point. Obama's legacy is now tied to this thing.

People like TM use the work "we" when referring to costs that we will have to pay at the same time admitting she will take a subsidy of thousands per year. She won't pay anything; people like me will.

Americans do care. I want TM to have insurance and care. I object to her tone and stance that people who have done well somehow owe it to her to pay her bills. I proposed a system similar to the German sickness funds. My legislator made it clear that such a plan would not pass as it placed too much burden on the poor.

Other nations do not give their citizens healthcare as asserted by TM. Their citizens pay heavily for it.

TM has too much emotionally tied up in the outcome to make a rational argument.

I hope her business succeeds. I hope she makes $250k per year. I know she will voluntarily give an extra ten percent of her income to the poor.

Agree. I would propose to T.M that is is not ignorance on our parts that keep this country from passing a quality health care bill, but our intellegence and an inherent distrust of government intervention that will eventually provide the necessary changes.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:48 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,570,693 times
So don't most of you conservatives in this forum pretty strongly support health care thru bankruptcy, much as it is now? Because this way you know that the government will not have anything to do with paying for someone else's health care expenses.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:10 PM

5,224 posts, read 4,999,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So don't most of you conservatives in this forum pretty strongly support health care thru bankruptcy, much as it is now? Because this way you know that the government will not have anything to do with paying for someone else's health care expenses.

It seems so.. after all they always come back with "we all have access to health care" but that they "don't want to pay for someone else to have healthcare".

Jokes on them.. they are already paying it and at 3x's the cost they should be paying..

No worries.. if the repubs win the MA seat they will all get what they wished for.. and just like in 94 health Care reform will be DOA.

Many millions more will continue to lose their insurance..or watch their salary raises decrease or become non existent as more companies need to pour more money toward employees at health benefits.. or do away with them all together..

Then they won't have to worry.. they won't be "paying" for my health care.. but then neither will I be able to pay for my health care and when somethign happens.. I'll just end up declaring bankruptcy.. as I'll have no choice.

But..they got their wish.. they won't have to "wait in line" ...

Old 01-18-2010, 05:28 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,825,162 times
Quote:
It seems so.. after all they always come back with "we all have access to health care" but that they "don't want to pay for someone else to have healthcare".

Jokes on them.. they are already paying it and at 3x's the cost they should be paying..

No worries.. if the repubs win the MA seat they will all get what they wished for.. and just like in 94 health Care reform will be DOA.

Many millions more will continue to lose their insurance..or watch their salary raises decrease or become non existent as more companies need to pour more money toward employees at health benefits.. or do away with them all together..

Then they won't have to worry.. they won't be "paying" for my health care.. but then neither will I be able to pay for my health care and when somethign happens.. I'll just end up declaring bankruptcy.. as I'll have no choice.

But..they got their wish.. they won't have to "wait in line" ...
Highly unlikely Coakley will lose. But even if she does, the Dems will not allow the Bill to not pass. Most likely, they would pass the Senate version in tact in the House. It's already been passed by the Senate. I would doubt that Obama would not sign it. If Coakley wins, then there will be a Bill from Conference, which would also be passed and signed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.