U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2009, 06:16 AM

1,645 posts, read 3,857,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Has he checked to see if anyone offers free rides to the VA... I know here there are people that offer rides for Veterans that need them..
His current wife insists on helping him tho' she's fragile himself. However, I will check into this when we get there for Christmas (we're going the week before--we just found out about the cancer being terminal--that's another failure via the system moving too slow). I have the local VA's office number for his county so I'll call and try to find out how we can access help again.

It's very frustrating being this far away and not being able to help more frequently. But at least he has his current wife, who does love him, and he's a tough bird. He might just surprise us all.

Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate it.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:00 AM

8,652 posts, read 13,713,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlife View Post
His current wife insists on helping him tho' she's fragile himself. However, I will check into this when we get there for Christmas (we're going the week before--we just found out about the cancer being terminal--that's another failure via the system moving too slow). I have the local VA's office number for his county so I'll call and try to find out how we can access help again.

It's very frustrating being this far away and not being able to help more frequently. But at least he has his current wife, who does love him, and he's a tough bird. He might just surprise us all.

I wish him the best and it's nice to have family like you that care...I probably wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for my wife and kids..My grandkids really keep an eye on me...(:>)

Old 12-11-2009, 07:51 AM

12,833 posts, read 15,270,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlife View Post

I'm sorry you are faced with these difficulties. Let's hope your "tough bird" does surprise everyone. I wish all of you the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I wish him the best and it's nice to have family like you that care...I probably wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for my wife and kids..My grandkids really keep an eye on me...(:>)
I'm so glad you're being lovingly watched! I hope you don't have to wait
any longer for your appointment.

With Medicare being nearly bankrupt, and Congress planning to open it up to people at age 55, and proposed cuts in medicare, and general shortages of doctors predicted (fewer and fewer doctors accept medicare contracts), this is exactly what we will get for everyone under a universal government run program. VA is the living example. Why don't they fix the VA system first! it's disgraceful. We owe our veterans far more. And this is what the rest of you want for YOUR care? A VA for the rest of the country?

Actually, it's encouraging to hear this morning that polls show 2 out of 3 people are against government healthcare. Maybe they ARE waking up.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:52 AM

22,244 posts, read 12,941,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

With Medicare being nearly bankrupt, and Congress planning to open it up to people at age 55, and proposed cuts in medicare, and general shortages of doctors predicted (fewer and fewer doctors accept medicare contracts), this is exactly what we will get for everyone under a universal government run program. VA is the living example. Why don't they fix the VA system first! it's disgraceful. We owe our veterans far more. And this is what the rest of you want for YOUR care? A VA for the rest of the country?

Actually, it's encouraging to hear this morning that polls show 2 out of 3 people are against government healthcare. Maybe they ARE waking up.
I few problems in your analysis. Medicare funding is a problem that we have been well aware of for a long time. It will need to continuously be address as years go on. Part of the Healthcare reforms do address some of that problem. Eliminate waste and fraud as much as possible. Address the excessive Advantage plan subsidies, I didn't say eliminate, but we could with some much less pricey enhancements to Medicare. I believe there are people looking at working on the shortage of Primary care doctors and alternatives in that are as well. The is very active in improving it systems and dealing with its massive, underfunded demands. Adding 55-64 year old people to the Medicare system is not necessarily bad. They are proposing, those that don't have employer provided coverage, be allowed to "buy" in. These people may have preexisting conditions etc. that make it too expensive, if even possible, to get private coverage. But even if they do buy in, their Medicare premium would be higher than those 65 and over, they also would have the option of the reform plan's private exchange which may be even cheaper than the Medicare option. All I am saying is, let the proposals be presented, evaluated by CBO and others before you come to a conclusion on how you feel about it. There could be much more benefit and lower cost than you now think. For one, even private ins for those under 55, could go down, if you believe the ins cos would actually lower their rates if the risk is lowered.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
. Adding 55-64 year old people to the Medicare system is not necessarily bad. They are proposing, those that don't have employer provided coverage, be allowed to "buy" in. These people may have preexisting conditions etc. that make it too expensive, if even possible, to get private coverage. But even if they do buy in, their Medicare premium would be higher than those 65 and over, they also would have the option of the reform plan's private exchange which may be even cheaper than the Medicare option.

Yes, I heard about the proposal to have these people "buy in". It would cost them a considerable amount of cash upfront. Something like $7,000 was mentioned. I don't know how many people would be able to afford that even in a good economy.

What I heard this morning is that the Chair of the Finance Committee, a democrat (I forget the name at the moment) is against lowering the age for Medicare and said it's a bad plan.

Some of the reasons cited by those who are against it are that with 10,000 baby boomers joining Medicare daily, and those who will reach the age of eligibility, the provider system will be overwhelmed and not be able to deliver care or be responsive in a timely manner. This is what reminds me of the VA system and its inability to adequately care for our veterans.

Some in favor of the plan suggest that adding thousands of "younger" people to Medicare (who, presumably, don't have age-related illnesses) will help fund it.

All I am saying is, let the proposals be presented, evaluated by CBO and others before you come to a conclusion on how you feel about it. There could be much more benefit and lower cost than you now think. For one, even private ins for those under 55, could go down, if you believe the ins cos would actually lower their rates if the risk is lowered.
It's within the realm of possibility that ins. companies could lower rates. I'll grant you that. I would like to see an option given to Medicare eligible people to subscribe to regular, what I call "normal" insurance coverage (non-age discriminatory). At least on the basis of a good health history, if ins companies insist on being selective due to risk factors.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:06 AM
Status: "Our Constitution is a roadblock to Leftists. Understand it." (set 9 days ago)

24,365 posts, read 12,152,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
It must be becoming clear to even those who have been disputing the point that government will eventually force private insurance companies out of business, leaving people no choice but to subscribe to the public option.
And, of course, this is the goal of the proponents — to eliminate private insurance.

Great post.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
And, of course, this is the goal of the proponents — to eliminate private insurance.

Great post.
I just heard that Pelosi, Reid and others have "let go" of the public option, and aren't saying much about it anymore. The thought is that the public option hasn't really gone away (they just want us to think it has). It will sneak in quietly at a later date when nobody is watching. I like how Pelosi vowed that this would be the most ethical, most transparent Congress and Administration in history. I'm still hoping for THAT change to come about.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:23 AM

955 posts, read 1,814,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

Great post.
Yes, this is from a blog from Heritage, but the CBO response is the news:

CBO: Reid Bill Forces 10 Million Out of Current Health Care » The Foundry

Obama repeatedly promised the American people: “If you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan.” Looks like not true.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:05 AM

4,508 posts, read 7,278,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
Yes, this is from a blog from Heritage, but the CBO response is the news:

CBO: Reid Bill Forces 10 Million Out of Current Health Care » The Foundry

Obama repeatedly promised the American people: “If you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan.” Looks like not true.
Only a fool would have believed such a ridiculous statement. Even those who do get to keep their current plan will face higher premiums and costs.

We're in the group that wouldn't get to keep our current health care plan. Our current plan...although we like it, it's affordable and comprehensive...doesn't meet the proposed government standard of an 'acceptable plan'. I'd have to pay considerably more for a different plan....or face fines and jail time. That's some CHOICE they are giving us huh??

Old 12-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Bub

236 posts, read 310,102 times
WHY are we Debating "INSURANCE"? The goal is HEALTHCARE for everyone...instead of fixing INSURANCE...I want to pay out of pocket DIRECTLY to my healthcare provider...Thats where the COSTS ARE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies