Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2010, 10:55 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes I understand that but PIP is something you purchase and for a set amount. Don't buy enough and you take a risk.

I don't know the details behind the post so I won't go making assumptions and will let this just drop. Florida-Bob has gone on to other posts and hasn't replied to mine.
In the situation with my relative, the auto coverage was quickly expended and now the Health Ins coverage has been expended. The fact is that the additional care is needed and will be given. They are proud people that will probably opt to sell assets to do so, even if that may not be required. What is sad, is that they are in that situation. A situation that any of us could be in at any time. The problem with health care services is not that people will not be able to get them, that availability has been mandated by the Fed Govt, the problem is, how will that be paid? Ins. Cos. will pay for it it to the point where it is no longer within their profitability cone. I am not against the Ins. Co. in this. They are in business for profit. I am in business for profit. I would have it no other way. Health care services are mandated by our Govt, facilities and Doctors must provide care no matter how catastrophic. Our Interstate Highway system must be maintained, our Air Traffic Control system must be up and operating .... add on add on a great many services are mandated for the common good of our population.
I just think it is time this country looks at its mandate for Health care services realistically. In the long run, I just don't see how it can be handled differently than so many other services the Govt mandates for the common good. But, we are not at that point yet. As painful as this whole mess is, it has not yet reached the point, that it will be fully addressed.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:58 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,011,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Wait..you said car accident. Isn't that under a different insurance ?
Car insurance is a straight up amount maximum per injured party.. paid out by the others insurance depending on the situation.

Depending on the level of car insurance and liability someone has elected to purchase , that is the maximum they will cover. Most states have a minimum coverage requirement needed to comply with the law).. but I have yet to see insurance in the car area offered to go beyond maybe a couple hundred in payout for injured individuals as a result of an accident.

Your own personal health insurance takes care of the rest of it.. or in this case NOT

Old 01-02-2010, 11:26 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,011,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltplaceman View Post
Would this be the group you were asked to join by members of congress?

PEC is ALREADY a problem.. DUH! ..

I suppose all of us with pre-existing (and often genetic) conditions should be paid a higher salary because we have to pay the insurance company a PEC charge..

What, you say? How is THAT fair..

Well.. that PEC charge may knock the premium out of affordability.. which, btw, is already part of the problem.. and why many with PEC's (beyond being denied anyway) can't afford to be insured

I'm all for across state lines as a matter of fact it is a compromise that the hOuse is pushing for if Public Option is going to be completely off the table.

Still. I'm all for mandating.. larger pool, larger spread.. no one needs to get hit with a PEC for simply being born with a condition.

Im' just saying

Old 01-02-2010, 01:33 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
If you are responsibly insured, what would make you think you would be forced out of that insurance. The insurance exchange is to allow people who do not have coverage to select from various private plans, to get coverage. And, I have read the bills.
Then you must just be dense. EVERYONE will be required to carry 'approved' insurance plans and I doubt if any right now will fit the bill. As you've been told many times, no one gets to keep their current insurance. No one is currently 'responsibly insured'.

It wasn't presented as "if you are currently 'responsibly insured', as defined by the government, then you can keep your current plan." No, Obama said multiple times, "If you like your current insurance, if you are happy with your current insurance, you can keep your current insurance insurance." Not so!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, don't blame the victim! How many of us have read our policies word for word? Do you know what your insurance cap is? Do you have extra ins. to cover that?
Yes, I've read ALL of my insurance policies. I know very well what my coverage is, how much risk I bear, what the caps are, etc.
I suggest you read your policies....and that everyone do the same and then prepare accordingly. That's what responsible adults do. Just because some people don't act like responsible adults is no reason for the government to become the nanny for us all, watching our every step, making sure we have all the bases covered. Grow up people!!

Old 01-02-2010, 01:41 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Then you must just be dense. EVERYONE will be required to carry 'approved' insurance plans and I doubt if any right now will fit the bill. As you've been told many times, no one gets to keep their current insurance. No one is currently 'responsibly insured'.

It wasn't presented as "if you are currently 'responsibly insured', as defined by the government, then you can keep your current plan." No, Obama said multiple times, "If you like your current insurance, if you are happy with your current insurance, you can keep your current insurance insurance." Not so!!

Yes, I've read ALL of my insurance policies. I know very well what my coverage is, how much risk I bear, what the caps are, etc.
I suggest you read your policies....and that everyone do the same and then prepare accordingly. That's what responsible adults do. Just because some people don't act like responsible adults is no reason for the government to become the nanny for us all, watching our every step, making sure we have all the bases covered. Grow up people!!
It is pointless to argue with a closed mind. Please get some facts. This account was from Aug, the current bills are not substantially changed.
Keep Your Insurance? Not Everyone. | FactCheck.org

More recent and continuing to be updated.
http://www.kff.org/healthreform/uplo...bill_final.pdf

Last edited by florida.bob; 01-02-2010 at 02:12 PM..

Old 01-02-2010, 07:13 PM

817 posts, read 853,186 times
People don't care what's best for the country they care what's best for themselves. This is very apparent when it comes to any faux 'healthcare debates' on these forums.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post

What makes you doubt that any insurance plans right now will not fit the bill? And what makes you a*s*s*ume that insurance companies will not change their policies so they comply? Do you think the insurance companies will prefer to go out of business?

Who are you calling irresponsible? Why do you think I haven't read my policies? I know what they are supposed to cover, but there are times when you get some unpleasant surprises, as what you interpreted one way, the insurance company interprets another.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:44 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
(Note: I may not agree with all or any parts of the following proposal)

A proposal for healthcare:

* All citizens of the United States will be covered under a federal comprehensive health plan. This includes medications, doctor visits, hospitalizations, therapy, etc. No co-pays or deductibles will be charged.

* Private insurance will be banned, and all private insurance companies will be incorporated into the federal government as much as possible.

* This will be paid for by a premium that will vary by income from $0 (for people making under the "GMSL") to $10,000 a month (for people making over 10,000% of the GMSL).

* Persons whose age is above 90% the life expectancy for the present year (example: 78 * 0.90 = 70y 3m) will be denied operations and medications costing above $1,000 a month if they are anticipated to extend their lifespan by less than 10 years. Instead they will be required to pay cash for them, or go to hospice.

* All government-approved hospice centers will have active euthanasia services available. Also, work will be done regarding access to abortion and other family-planning services.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:15 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
(Note: I may not agree with all or any parts of the following proposal)

A proposal for healthcare:

* All citizens of the United States will be covered under a federal comprehensive health plan. This includes medications, doctor visits, hospitalizations, therapy, etc. No co-pays or deductibles will be charged.

* Private insurance will be banned, and all private insurance companies will be incorporated into the federal government as much as possible.

* This will be paid for by a premium that will vary by income from $0 (for people making under the "GMSL") to $10,000 a month (for people making over 10,000% of the GMSL).

* Persons whose age is above 90% the life expectancy for the present year (example: 78 * 0.90 = 70y 3m) will be denied operations and medications costing above $1,000 a month if they are anticipated to extend their lifespan by less than 10 years. Instead they will be required to pay cash for them, or go to hospice.

* All government-approved hospice centers will have active euthanasia services available. Also, work will be done regarding access to abortion and other family-planning services.
How kind of your policy to remove anyone over the age of 78. So the poor will again suffer if they cant pay the $1,000 a month for meds and services but the uber rich will just carry on?

Old 01-03-2010, 09:33 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
All government-approved hospice centers will have active euthanasia services available.
You aren't / can't be serious with this - can you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies