U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 12:18 PM

20,028 posts, read 15,813,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think perhaps you should start a different thread, perhaps in Great Debates, about the respective values of social sciences versus pure sciences. And you are surely aware that you have assumed a position of academic elitism in your stance on those respective values.

But in terms of this thread, the social sciences actually are more relevant, since its topic is political persuasion and the media role in explaining political issues versus propagandizing such issues.
Since political scientists cannot even come to terms regarding something simple like "is Nazism left or right winged?", nor can they empirically verify any hypothesis they provide, I'd say their relative importance is on par with underwater basketweaving. Outside of think tanks or governmental roles, their degrees are relatively worthless. They pretty much live and die on the federal dole, and have very small role in a capitalist society. I'm actually quite average in intelligence, and would be so naive as to equate a Ph. D. with raw intelligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 12:22 PM

16,325 posts, read 9,191,609 times
So in a week we have examples of the hard left pointing to Mao being among their favorite political philosophers and the hard left accusing the right of being Nazi's

Interesting.

And liberals accuse conservatives of hate speech. NICE.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:33 PM

40,246 posts, read 24,539,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Since political scientists cannot even come to terms regarding something simple like "is Nazism left or right winged?", nor can they empirically verify any hypothesis they provide, I'd say their relative importance is on par with underwater basketweaving. Outside of think tanks or governmental roles, their degrees are relatively worthless. They pretty much live and die on the federal dole, and have very small role in a capitalist society. I'm actually quite average in intelligence, and would be so naive as to equate a Ph. D. with raw intelligence.
As I already pointed out, political scientists have generally reached a concensus on where Nazism falls on the political spectrum. Again, social science isn't pure science, but it does have value in the sense that humans are driven to understand the world around them, part of that world is constructed by humans, and the sciences that explore how humans see the world, how humans interact with the physical world, how humans interact with each other, are the social sciences, not the pure sciences. Even pure science does not arrive at hard conclusions, but let's face it, the physical world has been around a lot longer than human beings, so the rules that govern that physical world have been in place a lot longer, have been imposed much more often, and have settled into being rules or laws. Whether it makes you feel superior or whatever because you study the rules that govern the physical world, and they are embarked on a different exploration, does not mean that your perspective on the social sciences is superior. A geologist who studies rocks is not superior to a jeweler who has a different perspective on crystalline structures.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
As I already pointed out, political scientists have generally reached a concensus on where Nazism falls on the political spectrum. Again, social science isn't pure science, but it does have value in the sense that humans are driven to understand the world around them, part of that world is constructed by humans, and the sciences that explore how humans see the world, how humans interact with the physical world, how humans interact with each other, are the social sciences, not the pure sciences. Even pure science does not arrive at hard conclusions, but let's face it, the physical world has been around a lot longer than human beings, so the rules that govern that physical world have been in place a lot longer, have been imposed much more often, and have settled into being rules or laws. Whether it makes you feel superior or whatever because you study the rules that govern the physical world, and they are embarked on a different exploration, does not mean that your perspective on the social sciences is superior. A geologist who studies rocks is not superior to a jeweler who has a different perspective on crystalline structures.
They are welcome to their opinions. When they can come to agreement on exactly what makes Nazism a right winged ideology, I'll start listening.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:05 PM

Furthermore, can you provide literature on this consensus stipulating that Nazism is right winged?

Old 10-20-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Furthermore, can you provide literature on this consensus stipulating that Nazism is right winged?
Why would I bother? You already said you think that social scientists and their conclusions are worthless? What's funny is that you started this thread, and have engaged in it, telling us all your theories which have no foundation at all, and then when challenged, told us that you are an engineering student, engaged in the hard sciences, and that social sciences are of no interest to you because it's not really science at all.

Your video and conclusions are worthless, because they only advance your own agenda. They are propaganda, with no scientific foundation. And I'm not going to waste my time citing social scientist after social scientist, so you can demean social science over and over again. It would be as if you were a vegetarian wanting me to provide you with the perfect ribeye steak. You wouldn't eat it, you wouldn't even taste it, so why would you ask someone to waste their time? Because it provides a forum for you to make uninformed and nasty comments about meat-eaters?

Old 10-20-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Why would I bother? You already said you think that social scientists and their conclusions are worthless? What's funny is that you started this thread, and have engaged in it, telling us all your theories which have no foundation at all, and then when challenged, told us that you are an engineering student, engaged in the hard sciences, and that social sciences are of no interest to you because it's not really science at all.

Your video and conclusions are worthless, because they only advance your own agenda. They are propaganda, with no scientific foundation. And I'm not going to waste my time citing social scientist after social scientist, so you can demean social science over and over again. It would be as if you were a vegetarian wanting me to provide you with the perfect ribeye steak. You wouldn't eat it, you wouldn't even taste it, so why would you ask someone to waste their time? Because it provides a forum for you to make uninformed and nasty comments about meat-eaters?
Taking the ball and going home? It's not even dark yet

You mentioned "scientific foundation". Please look at a word sense of science and see how consensus of opinion fits in there.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Taking the ball and going home? It's not even dark yet

You mentioned "scientific foundation". Please look at a word sense of science and see how consensus of opinion fits in there.
And you confirm that your posts are some sort of game for you. When you want to have a real discussion, then I'll participate. But if all you want to do is play "dance, puppet, dance", then you're just a troll.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
And you confirm that your posts are some sort of game for you. When you want to have a real discussion, then I'll participate. But if all you want to do is play "dance, puppet, dance", then you're just a troll.
I'm sorry you think that way. I was using satire, and my deepest apologies if I've trivialized our discussion. Have an outstanding rest of the day? It's 70 something here and beautiful. Hope all is well where you're at!

Old 10-20-2009, 02:01 PM

32,942 posts, read 16,848,305 times
Quote:
Nazis are leftists, as are communists, monarchies, fascism, theocracies, etc.
Monarchy is left-wing. Mmmkay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies