U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:14 AM

34,990 posts, read 33,858,849 times

Advertisements

"...[A] Hollywood charitable organization...has helped to organize a push in the television industry to encourage volunteerism among the citizenry. The support for volunteerism will be spread across 60 shows, and in some cases woven into the plot lines.

"Enter Glenn Beck, who reads in this yet another conspiracy theory that President Obama is using Hollywood in an attempt to turn American in a communist nation: 'Well, this is fantastic. It's almost like we're living in Mao's China right now.'

"Beck seems worried that by encouraging more volunteerism we're creating a problem, or a crisis, that will be exploited later, but it is difficult to follow the logic. Basically, Beck's main point is that President Obama and Hollywood and the media are colluding to control your lives by promoting more community service and civic participation."

Glenn Beck Slams Obama Encouraging Volunteerism: "Almost Like We're Living In Mao's China" (VIDEO)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 08:23 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,493,214 times
Wow, talk about paranoid.

With unemployment so high right now, I can't think of a better time to promote volunteering.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:25 AM

5,165 posts, read 5,169,487 times
Obama and G HW Bush just did a forum together to promote volunteerism.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:30 AM

10,089 posts, read 10,606,893 times
Glen Beck is right. As my wife and I watched the closing credits of CSI: Miami last night they showed scenes of some of the characters working in a community garden. The experience was indistinguishable from being sent to a reform through labor camp and surviving on moldy rice for fourteen years.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:31 AM

31,777 posts, read 24,004,420 times
I'm surprised some of his target audience hasn't showed up here yet.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:34 AM

5,489 posts, read 6,213,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Glen Beck is right. As my wife and I watched the closing credits of CSI: Miami last night they showed scenes of some of the characters working in a community garden. The experience was indistinguishable from being sent to a reform through labor camp and surviving on moldy rice for fourteen years.
I saw that too, pretty sneaky. Plus Disney, owned by ABC, is now giving away free tickets if you volunteer your time!

What happened to all the volunteers out there that used to volunteer to do some good for someone? Do we really need the WH and Hollywood to push us to volunteer now?

Last time I heard Americans volunteer more of their time and give more to charity than any other nation in the world!!

Old 10-20-2009, 08:35 AM

5,489 posts, read 6,213,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I'm surprised some of his target audience hasn't showed up here yet.
I guess the target audience of the WH and Hollywood are the ones who don't volunteer.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:39 AM

31,777 posts, read 24,004,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I guess the target audience of the WH and Hollywood are the ones who don't volunteer.
I wasn't discussing the topic yet, just waiting for one of those Beckers to show up.

Do you volunteer?

Old 10-20-2009, 08:41 AM

39,020 posts, read 23,146,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I saw that too, pretty sneaky. Plus Disney, owned by ABC, is now giving away free tickets if you volunteer your time!

What happened to all the volunteers out there that used to volunteer to do some good for someone? Do we really need the WH and Hollywood to force us to volunteer now?

Last time I heard Americans volunteer more of their time and give more to charity than any other nation in the world!!
Pretty sneaky, those ad executives, putting it on the end of a nationally televised program, for millions to watch, that people involved with the show also volunteer their time and energy for charitable endeavors. Ooooh, the insidiousness of it!

What happened to all the volunteers out there that used to volunteer to do some good for someone? If they happen to appear on television, they shouldn't volunteer, right? Because that's just plain sneaky, those television and movie people trying to do something good. What was Doris Day thinking, all those years and the work she did for animals and the Humane Society? Betty White, were you being sneaky when you spoke out for charities? Brad Pitt, is the government paying you for the work you've been doing in New Orleans?

Americans have a proud history of volunteerism and charitable work. Shame on the President for trying to foster more of it! Shame on Hollywood for trying to help!

Old 10-20-2009, 09:06 AM

34,990 posts, read 33,858,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Obama and G HW Bush just did a forum together to promote volunteerism.
Yes, and GHWB was nice about attacks on Obama.

It would have been even nicer if the younger Bush or someone more relevant in the R Party had joined Obama in speaking up for something as innocuous as volunteering, but you go with the army you've got, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies