Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 02:28 PM

37,813 posts, read 21,885,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
How do you see that? In what ways do you think government is now trying to influence the direction of volunteering? What direction do you see them taking this?
Is the government vastly increasing government spending for volunteerism - yes. So, the very fact that they are inserting themselves into this means they are influencing it.

Ask yourself why 0bama wants to lower the tax deductions for charitable contributions, while at the same time he is giving away more and more taxpayer money for people who volunteer?

The federal legislation titled “The GIVE Act” has already been allocated $1.1 billion for fiscal year 2009, including $200 million from the porkulus package signed into law earlier this year. The increased taxes from the Give Act earmarks specific domestic and foreign organizations with free taxpayer money. This way the government can control which organizations get promoted. 0bama does not like the idea of allowing American citizens to choose where to donate their own time and money, so he taxes us and decides for us.

Thank God the mandatory service for our young people was ripped out of that bill before signing. shades of Mao? You bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 02:35 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,747,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Is the government vastly increasing government spending for volunteerism - yes. So, the very fact that they are inserting themselves into this means they are influencing it.

Ask yourself why 0bama wants to lower the tax deductions for charitable contributions, while at the same time he is giving away more and more taxpayer money for people who volunteer?

The federal legislation titled “The GIVE Act” has already been allocated $1.1 billion for fiscal year 2009, including $200 million from the porkulus package signed into law earlier this year. The increased taxes from the Give Act earmarks specific domestic and foreign organizations with free taxpayer money. This way the government can control which organizations get promoted. 0bama does not like the idea of allowing American citizens to choose where to donate their own time and money, so he taxes us and decides for us.

Thank God the mandatory service for our young people was ripped out of that bill before signing. shades of Mao? You bet.
Has GIVE actually passed? I mean it was introduced to the House in 2007, wasn't it? Or is there a new bill?

Old 10-20-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Who is my hero? How would you know who that is? Do you always try to assume things? You know what assuming does, don't you? (I bet you do!!)

Oh, and btw, I'm already being vigilant...Awesome!!
Too many libs here put people in a box with a label on it, in your case it says "Conservative." This way they can ridicule and malign you, its the only way they can puff themselves up to feel superior to you, and helps justify their partisan rhetoric and idol whoreship of 0bama.

I see people on the right do it from time to time too, it only poisons the air and lowers the debate.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:41 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,631,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Too many libs here put people in a box with a label on it, in your case it says "Conservative." This way they can ridicule and malign you, its the only way they can puff themselves up to feel superior to you, and helps justify their partisan rhetoric and idol whoreship of 0bama.

I see people on the right do it from time to time too, it only poisons the air and lowers the debate.
i like how you're doing exactly the same thing that you're complaining about here. that's pretty funny.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

Old 10-20-2009, 02:48 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,200,377 times
I hadn't realized how America was so Communist during WWII, when the federal government encouraged people to recycle, grow victory gardens, etc. How very like Mao's China!

Old 10-20-2009, 02:51 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,550,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I hadn't realized how America was so Communist during WWII, when the federal government encouraged people to recycle, grow victory gardens, etc. How very like Mao's China!
Yeah...I guess I'm a commie now because I volunteer at the zoo and with my local county 4H groups... who knew?

Old 10-20-2009, 02:52 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,035,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"...[A] Hollywood charitable organization...has helped to organize a push in the television industry to encourage volunteerism among the citizenry. The support for volunteerism will be spread across 60 shows, and in some cases woven into the plot lines.

"Enter Glenn Beck, who reads in this yet another conspiracy theory that President Obama is using Hollywood in an attempt to turn American in a communist nation: 'Well, this is fantastic. It's almost like we're living in Mao's China right now.'

"Beck seems worried that by encouraging more volunteerism we're creating a problem, or a crisis, that will be exploited later, but it is difficult to follow the logic. Basically, Beck's main point is that President Obama and Hollywood and the media are colluding to control your lives by promoting more community service and civic participation."

Glenn Beck Slams Obama Encouraging Volunteerism: "Almost Like We're Living In Mao's China" (VIDEO)
Almost like living in China- Why the F can't I find some good Authentic Chinese food then?

Old 10-20-2009, 02:56 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,042,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obo View Post
I think it says something loud and clear that all of a sudden the African American parents want to become more involved now that a black president is in office. Sounds like something to do with race.
Yeah, how dare they identify.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:57 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,042,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Almost like living in China- Why the F can't I find some good Authentic Chinese food then?
The longest journey begins with a single step!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies