Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 12:48 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
as someone who works for a struggling nonprofit, i really don't give a damn what people's motivation is for volunteering for us. we just need the help. if they're doing it for disney tickets, if they're doing it as mandated community service (as punishment for a crime, that is), if they're doing it because they were encouraged to by the president or the entertainment industry, they're still doing the same amount of good.
But don't call it volunteering, then. If you're being paid or forced, it's not volunteer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 12:52 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I want to see Barbara (let them eat cake) Bush lose some weight and donate food to the poor...and I want to see it televised......
Your sad....

Old 10-20-2009, 12:52 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
But don't call it volunteering, then. If you're being paid or forced, it's not volunteer.
again, as far as the nonprofit is concerned, who cares? it's free to us. if you want to play language politics and use a different word, go right ahead. and getting an in-kind incentive like disney tickets, or free food, or free zoo admission is not the same as getting paid to work.

in any case, this thread is about a politician and tv networks simply *encouraging* people to volunteer. the incentive thing only came up as a secondary issue.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:53 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Your sad....
Babar? I mean, Barbara?

Old 10-20-2009, 12:54 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obo View Post

There are plent of organizations and people who volunteer where it is needed.
No there aren't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

I guess the target audience of the WH and Hollywood are the ones who don't volunteer.
Ya think? And guess what -- IT'S WORKING!
Quote:
'Obama Effect' at school: Black parents volunteer, expect more - USATODAY.com

. . .

In the new findings, African-American parents of children in K-12 schools say they're much more likely to volunteer in a classroom this fall, in effect narrowing a volunteering gap.

The survey, being released today by GreatSchools, a San Francisco non-profit that promotes parental involvement, finds a jump of 37 percentage points in the portion of African-American parents who say they'll volunteer in their child's school — 60% vs. 23% a year ago.

In the same period, the percentage of white parents who plan to volunteer rose six points, from 47% to 53%.
Yes, sometimes people have to be influenced into action by someone they respect, be it the President of the United States, or their favorite actor or actress. If it's helping increase volunteerism, and increasing volunteerism is something important enough for former President George H.W. Bush to be out there promoting, why on earth would anyone have a problem with it?

Oh, that's right! It's N0bambi Hussein's influence. Duh. What was I thinking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post

Government subsidized and government directed volunteerism. The government is now trying to influence the direction of volunterring, to gain control over what type of activities we should volunteer for? Yup sounds like a big stateism, where the individual is subservient to the social collective.

Encouraging volunteerism, that's fine. State sponsored volunteerism, this smacks of Mao's China.
Where is the government subsidy in this Foundation's program? Not to mention, no one's trying to influence the DIRECTION of volunteering, their trying to influence the ACT of volunteering.

I swear, every time I think the Republican party can't sink any lower, they amaze me all over again.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:54 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Here's the thing, Roysoldboy. I know you are a devoted follower of Beck, but I've watched him on many occasions.

I went in thinking he had some valid points based on what others had said, but came away realize that he distorts and flat-out lies over and over and over again.

I didn't discuss him or think about him all day. I realized he is the rodeo clown he claims to be and haven't been back since.
Can you list a few of those lies without quoting from HuffPo, Kos, or some of the others like them? I bet you have never watched him enough to do that but then attacking the messenger is the style of the left and you do it so very well.

Of course, I am one of those people who watch him every day and am even now getting ready for today's show. Two hours away and so many honey-do duties to take care of. Well I am off to take care of some of them.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
And guess what -- IT'S WORKING!
Quote:
In the new findings, African-American parents of children in K-12 schools say they're much more likely to volunteer in a classroom this fall, in effect narrowing a volunteering gap.

The survey, being released today by GreatSchools, a San Francisco non-profit that promotes parental involvement, finds a jump of 37 percentage points in the portion of African-American parents who say they'll volunteer in their child's school — 60% vs. 23% a year ago.

In the same period, the percentage of white parents who plan to volunteer rose six points, from 47% to 53%.
O welly well!

What a disappointment!

Old 10-20-2009, 12:57 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
again, as far as the nonprofit is concerned, who cares? it's free to us. if you want to play language politics and use a different word, go right ahead. and getting an in-kind incentive like disney tickets, or free food, or free zoo admission is not the same as getting paid to work.

in any case, this thread is about a politician and tv networks simply *encouraging* people to volunteer. the incentive thing only came up as a secondary issue.
I agree that the nonprofit won't care. But it also can't be called volunteering, so we need to stop calling it that. The nonprofit isn't paying, but the volunteer isn't doing it without pay, either. Which is the definition of volunteer: a person who performs a service willingly and without pay.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I realized he is the rodeo clown he claims to be and haven't been back since.
He certainly is self-aware. Good for him, and good for you

Old 10-20-2009, 12:59 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think all volunteers do it to get something out of it. People don't do things because they think it won't achieve anything. Their reasons may be purely altruistic, or not. But people volunteer and contribute to charities because they think their efforts are going to make a difference.

I don't know why Mr Beck or others think that people who work in Hollywood or in the government shouldn't encourage the rest of us to discover ways we can make a difference and then go do it. I don't see, exactly, how this translates to some sort of effort to control us. George W Bush supported volunteerism and charitable activities through Christian churches, and he was quite open about it. President Obama supports volunteerism and charitable activities through community organization efforts. Both are/were seeing it from the perspective they are/were most familiar with.

But neither sought to limit the perspectives of individuals in defining what volunteer activities most appeal to the individual. The TV and movie community aren't telling people these activities are the only good ones. No one is saying that Habitat for Humanity is the best charity. The "should" that seems to bother Mr Beck so much isn't about any particular charity or volunteer activity, the "should" is directed at individuals, that we each "should" find something rewarding in giving up a small portion of our time or effort in ways that help others. That volunteering and working in some small way to help others is a way to enrich our own lives. And I don't think Mr Beck really thinks that that's so bad, but his job is to bash Obama, and he'll use any tool he can to do his job.
I wonder if any of the "Actors" in the TV plots to promote public service did it for free... I kinda doubt it....

The "Do as I say, not as I do" applies....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies