Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2009, 12:01 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
An overwhelming proportion of those below poverty line consistently voted Republican, if you drive through parts of the south, (particularly West NC,Kentucky,etc.) die-hard old school Democrats have been replaced with Republican supporters who live in trailers. They vote on only 2 isssues that I can see; guns and abortion, none of them seem to work,so I guess the economy isn't relevant to them?
I truly appreciate intelligent comments like yours!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 05:53 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,051 times
While working with an election committee in NC I ran across one person who told me, "save your breath, we all vote like our minister tells us to vote."

Old 10-21-2009, 06:15 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
You would know the answer if you went to church with them and listened to their pastor's rants on those issues, especially abortion and pro-war rhetoric.
I attend an evangelical church. Have done so for almost 30 years. I've yet to hear a sermon, much less a rant, on the topics of abortion and war. That's pure projection on your part.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:19 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
When the religious right - aka conservative fundamentalists / evangelicals - have served as a unified voting block proven capable of swinging elections and controlling the ear of past presidents, it would be far more apt to wonder how you are unaware of their political power. People who vote their religion comprise a MAJOR base for the Republican Party today. Not all, obviously, but enough that they give a lot of lip service to them (though it'd be debatable how much turns into policies).

Thankfully, in 2006, many evangelicals realized the hypocrisy of their political allegiances and separated. For example, many younger ones are far more concerned with the poor and the environment than gays and abortions.

But, to deny they exist as a formidable base of the Republicans is simply naive. It was not their opponents who coined the arrogant term "values voters", as if those who vote for equal opportunity and peace and sustainability somehow lack values.
If we are going to implement stereotypes to discuss an entire political party, then I am taking the stand that democrats are represented by the ultra liberal progressive tree huggers who are active members in PETA and code pink.

Fair.

Right on. This should make the conversation logic filled and objective. (sarcasm)

The point is, it isn't the goal of the people on this forum to have a logical debate with those identified as "republicans" and to defend their positions in an objective manner. The goal of those tree huggers is to attempt to point out the ignorance of those identified as republicans by pointing to their faith.

Fact is, many many conservatives are not religious and vote based on their principles, just as democrats vote on their principles and not some extreme fringe ideology.

The problem with this forum is, people always try to identify those with opposing views as "crazy people on the fringe" and stereotype them that way to make themselves feel like their opinions are somehow more valid.

They aren't, on both accords.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:24 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
your still wrong lol...blacks been voting D since the R turn its back onn us.

poor and rich whites have always voted the same esp from the south
What was the first party to accept a senator candidate of African American decent?

Republicans.

The first African-American to serve a full term as senator. Blanche Kelso Bruce (Republican) of Mississippi took his seat in the United States Senate on March 3. He would become the first African-American to serve a full six-year term. Not until 1969 did another black American begin a Senate term.

Can you guess what year that was in?

When exactly did the republicans "turn their back" on you?

Old 10-21-2009, 09:50 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Thanks donsabi,I never realized the extent of zealotry In that religion...I am not naïve and realize they are a base (albeit a lunatic fringe base, when I heard that people like Palin go to evangelical meetings with snakes,lol).

It is just astounding that such myopic vision exists in 2009.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:54 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
fierce loyalty. jimmy carter warns of it in his book the merging of hard religous right with GOP.
ayatollah falwell

Old 10-21-2009, 10:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
I attend an evangelical church. Have done so for almost 30 years. I've yet to hear a sermon, much less a rant, on the topics of abortion and war. That's pure projection on your part.
agree and the first time I did I would walk out. Rarely have I even known the views of our minister in any church. In fact, last year, (not an envangelical church for sure) I pastor did pretty much give his view on the upcoming election. He did it in a round about way, but we changed churches because of this. The only time we have known the views have been when we have known the pastor, priest, whatever personally.

Nita

Old 10-21-2009, 10:09 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
It's tradition, they went off with bad equipment and leadership to die by the hundreds of thousands while the Slave Owners sat it out. They actually think they are making these decisions.
You're still fight'n that Civil War eh?

Old 10-21-2009, 10:15 AM

99 posts, read 163,377 times
I am an upper middle class 1st generation orthodox christian immigrant from the USSR living in the most liberal city in America and the Democratic party will NEVER have my vote.

On the most crucial topic in my life, communism, the conservatives were on the right side and the liberals on the wrong one. As me and my family were rotting under communism, the conservatives in America called that hellhole what it was and fought it. Liberals on the other hand at the same time subscribed to what the biggest imbecile to ever occupy the white house (Jimmy Carter) used to say "we must shed our inordinate fear of the Soviet Union" and dismissed it as fear mongering by conservatives. Never in my life will I stand on the same side as the people that did not support me and tens of millions of others like me being freed from tyranny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies