Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 10:31 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Anyone notice how the anti-gay bigots have somehow suddenly all developed selective vision and are somehow unable to see this thread?
I not only saw it but I have been reading with interest what people have to say. I am nearly 77 and many who know me would call me out because I don't really hold with gay marriage but do understand why people of that community think it should exist. I have known many gay people and never did anything to make them uncomfortable because it would have done the same to me, I suppose.

I don't care if people call me anti-gay or racist because I speak my mind without really worrying about what anybody else thinks. I am just thankful that I never had to see all the terrible things that Philip obviously did. I do hope the reason he was reading was because of his age and not because he was being used, which I don't think could be the case.

Does anyone know who said "Be who you are and say what you think because those who know you won't care and those who care don't count anyway." That is paraphrased but means the same as the original words and it is how I live my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
That just shames any right wing evangelical that would dare work to pass this discrimination.

God I miss these real Conservatives!..................... Where did they go?
I am one of those real conservatives but not in your eyes, but as I said a bit ago who cares since what you say about me makes no difference.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I think that Homosexuality is a sin, and that they will answer to GOD for their conduct.
But I do not want the government making that decision.
We just agreed completely on another subject. Too bad it can't happen more often.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:35 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitaryVet View Post
That's my point no one cares about heterosexual parade so why have a gay parade.
If you were part of a disfavored minority group, you might be a little more understanding. You're basically saying that because you don't see a need for a gay-specific event, then it must be worthless, even if those who do participate see things otherwise.

Quote:
I'm not sure why so many people want to make the gay life or hetersexual life for that matter public.
And I'm not sure why it bothers you so much, but it obviously does. I find that the "live and let live" mentality is a good way to live my life. Try it sometime.

Quote:
Proud to be in the land of the free no matter your preference!
That's nice. Freedom includes the right to assemble with whomever you want, however, even if others don't approve of it.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:45 PM

50 posts, read 137,687 times
You seem a bit angry at what I have commented on. Why is it you didn't mention the Indians we slaughtered as a country or the Japanese put into concentration camps? Why is it you only mentioned blacks? Again seperation will tear this country apart.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:58 PM

[quote=AnUnidentifiedMale;11391759]If you were part of a disfavored minority group, you might be a little more understanding. You're basically saying that because you don't see a need for a gay-specific event, then it must be worthless, even if those who do participate see things otherwise.
Don't read between the lines read the lines! In your quote above your trying to assume what I meant to say instead of what I said. Don't assume you know me....

Old 10-28-2009, 11:17 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitaryVet View Post
You seem a bit angry at what I have commented on. Why is it you didn't mention the Indians we slaughtered as a country or the Japanese put into concentration camps? Why is it you only mentioned blacks? Again seperation will tear this country apart.
The biggest fissure in this country isn't based on skin color or ethnicity. It's based on political/cultural differences. I think the Republican Party was very good at using wedge issues to divide and conquer for many years, but now it's come back to bite them. If they continue down this path, they'll push themselves into irrelevance.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:58 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
What a great old fella he is. AND I'm so glad he spoke up. I don't think it does anyone any harm to have to step outside their preconceived ideas about what particular generations think on subjects. Luckily for me I've already had the benefit of being able to share time and great discussions with many older people and I've found a great many more seem to share this gentleman's view than not. A good thing!

With regard gay marriage and the growing political debate I can only see this as a good thing. It's not that long back that if I, as a woman, had been born into an earlier time I'd have been considered a second class citizen. I would have been unable to procure a mortgage without a husband, dismissed from the public service as soon as I married, been considered a chattel in the eyes of law and beholden to the will of my husband. The list goes on and on. In effect I could have been traded by my father to my husband for the princely sum of a few goats and some coin. THIS kind of arrangement STILL goes on in many countries throughout the world.....

I know this. I don't particularly desire to be married BUT if I want to I can, simply by virtue of being heterosexual. Should I live with a man for more than 6 months in this country in a sexual relationship I am afforded pretty much all of the legal rights of a spouse with a marriage certificate. If my partner is to die I don't risk losing our home to his family. If he becomes ill I don't get treated like a second class citizen in the hospital. If I want to leave all my wordly goods to him on my death I can do so and I'm pretty sure I'm also able to bequeath him my superannuation and all my wordly goods WITHOUT the government deciding in favour of my parents or brothers or sisters and going over my head.

You'd better believe that if it was the case that the government and society in general was able to override my wishes or the law was set up to null and void my partner and descriminate against him in the event of my death OR go against his wishes in the event of his, I'd be rallying every weekend for the laws to be changed. Yes I'd be vocal about it, yes I'd be in your face and no I wouldn't shut up about it until it was fair and equal for everyone. I simply cannot imagine that ANYONE else would be any different. Those who say they wouldn't are lying to themselves.

It's not that long ago in Western countries that women had to fight for every right and law that I now get to enjoy the benefits of. Because of those men and women I am not a second class citizen in the eyes of the law. There's not that much for me to fight for for myself now but I'm not that blind that I am unaware that women and children are still suffering from the blight of being considered LESS in so many countries of the world. AND in many parts of the world so are Gays & Lesbians. They are not LESS EQUAL. NOBODY IS LESS EQUAL.

As far as I can see despite the fact I'm not particularly interested in marriage it's wrong that the law discriminates based on orientation. I have the right to marry if I choose, so should other couples be afforded that right. I'm a little tired of having these things hijacked by the church.

And on a side note I can only assume that those who don't like having other people's sexuality shoved in their faces don't watch much television or media or live under a rock or something or they've just become immune to the sexualization of damn near everything around them. You can't even watch a music video these days without it being all about the "sexy" and very little to do with music. Conversely I don't recall the last time I saw two men grinding up against each other in the media. Seems to me it's a very selective perception that some people have going on.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:20 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I not only saw it but I have been reading with interest what people have to say. I am nearly 77 and many who know me would call me out because I don't really hold with gay marriage but do understand why people of that community think it should exist. I have known many gay people and never did anything to make them uncomfortable because it would have done the same to me, I suppose.

I don't care if people call me anti-gay or racist because I speak my mind without really worrying about what anybody else thinks. I am just thankful that I never had to see all the terrible things that Philip obviously did. I do hope the reason he was reading was because of his age and not because he was being used, which I don't think could be the case.

Does anyone know who said "Be who you are and say what you think because those who know you won't care and those who care don't count anyway." That is paraphrased but means the same as the original words and it is how I live my life.[/b][/b]
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" - Dr Seuss

One of my favorite quotes

Old 10-29-2009, 08:53 AM

Church and state should be seperate. This will be a long road, but I am for equal rights or happiness of marriage and misery!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies