Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Glen Beck Nuts?
Yes 123 32.80%
No 252 67.20%
Voters: 375. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 07:25 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,447,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Glenn Beck has been in the middle of controversy lately. A few weeks ago on Fox News, Beck called President Obama "racist," Which did not settle well with many Americans. Many Americans started calling Beck's advertsers and demanding they pull their ads off Glenn Beck's 5 p.m. TV show on the Fox News Channel, which many advertisers did. This has seemed to backfire. Beck on August 26th had over 3 million viewers and actually beat Bill O'Reilly in the demographic of 25 to 54-year-olds by 12,000 viewers. This is unusual since Beck airs before primetime, where fewer people watch TV.
Glenn Beck Ratings Rise

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 08:01 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,014,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post

I see him on TV late at night (1:00 AM). So he has replaced calling Obama
a racist, with stereotyping Italian Americans? I wonder how that will go
over. He so reminds me of the old Morton Downey Jr. show I used to
watch in college, e.g. the baseball bat, antics of pouring gasoline(really
water) over some one and pretending to light a match, etc... There will
come a time when the spectacle of it will wain.

Hopefully, he will end up the same way as Downey - in a bathroom, putting
a swastika on his own forehead and making claims he was attacked by thugs.
Why? Because just like Downey, his narcissistic, delusions of grandeur will
catch up with him. He is nuts and anyone who takes the dribble he spews
seriously and confuses it with truth and not just entertainment.......

Last edited by pollyrobin; 10-24-2009 at 08:22 AM..

Old 10-24-2009, 08:21 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,932,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
Do you know the context for that?
Oops, nevermind lol.
Forgot you watch Fox (avoids context).

Because there was a blow-up when Ayres made a joke and the nutty reporter ran it as fact.
Ayres was joking with the reporter.
I know the context for that.
In a bizarre coincidence, an interview with Ayers was first run in the NY Times on September 11, 2001. It was in the BOOKS section because Ayers was promoting his book Fugitive Days. In that interview, Ayers said
Quote:
''I don't regret setting bombs,'' Bill Ayers said. ''I feel we didn't do enough.''
Later in the interview, he was asked if he would do it again. His response was
Quote:
''I don't want to discount the possibility,''
Which part was the joke?

Old 10-24-2009, 08:23 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Is Glen Beck the crazy relative you politely listen to as he talks, talks, and talks. Why is he on the air? That's my thought. But I have to ask:
Should he be taken off the air?

He does have some valid points on the constitution, but I think he's pretty much gone off the deep end now. He's gone two steps over my "credibility line" as of now. I used to listen to him, but now I don't.
That's my choice - I know where the "off" button is.

That said, I don't think he should be pulled off the air. That would smack too much of "big brother" for me. He has as much a right to his opinion as anyone else.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:46 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,138,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I bet Beck was never friends with a domestic terrorist.
Beck is a facilitator of domestic terrorists.

I dont think he'd be friends with them either, though.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:09 AM

2,661 posts, read 2,902,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
I know the context for that.
In a bizarre coincidence, an interview with Ayers was first run in the NY Times on September 11, 2001. It was in the BOOKS section because Ayers was promoting his book Fugitive Days. In that interview, Ayers said
Later in the interview, he was asked if he would do it again. His response was

Which part was the joke?
I was not referring to that.

How many people did he kill?
How many people did he want to kill?

If Ayers was still a domestic terrorist why wasn't he in jail when Obama first met him?

That entire association-blame-game is red meat for beck's gang of idiot viewers. But if you cannot complain about anything actual, why not complain about something that has nothing to do with the president.

I get that.
Conservatives need to complain.
Reality-based or not.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I was not referring to that.

How many people did he kill?
How many people did he want to kill?

If Ayers was still a domestic terrorist why wasn't he in jail when Obama first met him?

That entire association-blame-game is red meat for beck's gang of idiot viewers. But if you cannot complain about anything actual, why not complain about something that has nothing to do with the president.

I get that.
Conservatives need to complain.
Reality-based or not.
Actually, I've never complained about President Obama's connections to Ayers. I don't think the connection is particularly helpful to him, and I do think he should have denounced the man for what he did, as well as for the above statement about not having done enough, but it's not a big deal to me. I'm fairly sure that President Obama isn;t going to be asking Ayers for bomb making tips.
I was responding to you. When someone asserted that Ayers had said he would do it again, you attempted to discredit that person by passing off his statement as a misquote or a quote taken out of context. Clearly it was not that the case. Ayers was not joking. So brushing off the guys question, suggesting it is illinformed because of the cable channel he watches, is just an avoidance tactic.
As to why he wasn't in jail, that's a matter of law. The statute of limitations on his criminal actions was five years. He hid for longer than that. That doesn't mean he wasn't a domestic terrorist when he commited those crimes. Did he kill anyone, no he didn't. But that doesn't absolve him of the crimes he did commit.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Actually, I've never complained about President Obama's connections to Ayers. I don't think the connection is particularly helpful to him, and I do think he should have denounced the man for what he did, as well as for the above statement about not having done enough, but it's not a big deal to me. I'm fairly sure that President Obama isn;t going to be asking Ayers for bomb making tips.
I was responding to you. When someone asserted that Ayers had said he would do it again, you attempted to discredit that person by passing off his statement as a misquote or a quote taken out of context. Clearly it was not that the case. Ayers was not joking. So brushing off the guys question, suggesting it is illinformed because of the cable channel he watches, is just an avoidance tactic.
As to why he wasn't in jail, that's a matter of law. The statute of limitations on his criminal actions was five years. He hid for longer than that. That doesn't mean he wasn't a domestic terrorist when he commited those crimes. Did he kill anyone, no he didn't. But that doesn't absolve him of the crimes he did commit.
Ahh, I see.
You didn't read my posts very closely.

Here, I'll find you a link.
Obama's ghostwriter fesses up! - War Room - Salon.com
That is what I was referring to when I said Ayers was joking.

That in an effort to point out to another poster that context is important.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Ahh, I see.
You didn't read my posts very closely.

Here, I'll find you a link.
Obama's ghostwriter fesses up! - War Room - Salon.com
That is what I was referring to when I said Ayers was joking.

That in an effort to point out to another poster that context is important.
I had no need to go read that link (though I did) and I have no need to go back & read all your posts. I read the one to which I reponded. Why you brought this link up, and referred to this joke, is beyond me, as it has nothing to do with what you were discussing. The poster you responded to was talking about Ayers statement that he wouldn't dismiss the possibility of doing it (blowing up buildings) again. That's not discussed in this Salon link. The salon link, and the "joke" therefore is irellevent to the discussion. The statement was made in the 2001 interview I referenced.

Here it is. So we can be sure we are talking abouot the relevant quotes.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I had no need to go read that link (though I did) and I have no need to go back & read all your posts. I read the one to which I reponded. Why you brought this link up, and referred to this joke, is beyond me, as it has nothing to do with what you were discussing.
Really Bill?
Its beyond you?

Because I even repeated (since you can't be bothered to see what I was responding to) the point.

CONTEXT IS IMPORTANT
see it this time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies