Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 03:41 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,952,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
A large part of the population here has been reduced (by free trade taking good jobs and high taxes here) to not being able to afford anything but the walmart junk. It's kind of a big circle, no good jobs, must buy cheap crap, buying the cheap crap keeps the jobs away... Such a messed up situation.
I know.
It was our destiny and a LOT of people saw it coming, years ago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 03:48 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,486,932 times
I tried to read the aricle & a few comments & it seems to me that this conversation is chaotic...

What does collapse mean ?

U have a home,a car,a job,an income,your children,healthcare & education...

How can they all collapse ...?
Maybe these doomsday bs are just a product of sick minds ?

Old 10-22-2009, 03:49 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,631,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
The thing every American (regardless of political bent) need to understand is that there are BILLIONS out there like this poster who are just giddy at the prospect of American falling.

BILLIONS
That's absurd.

I take no pleasure in seeing the implosion that is America, starting in 1980 and continuing to this day.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:17 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,689,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
That is not the point - has NOTHING to do with your statement nor my question - NOTHING.

You said, clearly, that what you hear on FOX is not true. YOU made a blanket clear assertion.

What I asked you to do is PROVE THAT nothing on Fox - nothing I nor anyone else, has heard is true.

I don't care what the USSC said - that is a non sequitur here.

Prove your statement please.
If you knew anything about the law, that decision means they can tell thier feeble minded followers anything and are not responsible.

"They have no duty to the truth or to the Journalistic Code of Ethics"

But then again you obviously believe what you want to believe regarless of reality. Good luck with that

Old 10-22-2009, 04:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Fox News gets okay to misinform public, court ruling | Media Reform | CeaseSPIN.org

They WON a court case on appeal that gives them the First Amendment Right to lie to you
All because of this ? Monsanto did all in their power to coerce dairies to use that hormone and fought like the devil to make other dairies take off "no growth hormone" from their milk cartons. $1 says Monsanto was also involved in this.

LOL..way to take that and bend it to suit your opinions.

snippet from link above:
"On August 18, 2000, a six-person jury was unanimous in its conclusion that Akre was indeed fired for threatening to report the station's pressure to broadcast what jurors decided was "a false, distorted, or slanted" story about the widespread use of growth hormone in dairy cows."

Old 10-22-2009, 04:29 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,790 times
All fiat currencies must collapse. Study any fiat currency of the past. A false supply of money, what I would call counterfeit currency, is only a tool of tyrants. Also, any fiat currency gives the controllers of currency unatural and unsustainable powers. They always end in hyperinflation until every piece of currency is not able to purchase anything of value. And the "wealth" of those who have it is completely wiped out.

This is why all intelligent people reject the "advantages" of fiat currency including our founding fathers who fought so hard against central banks and only advocated the printing of gold and silver currency in the Constitution. But we know that the tyrants got their way in the end...

Old 10-22-2009, 04:29 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,931,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indurain View Post
Direct your annoyance toward your fellow citizens.

Their laziness.
Their complacency.

Their laziness and complacency was insulated because, pre globalisation, your country did not face competition.

That better productivity, better innovation, better products, of other nations, have exposed the USA.
Wow! Better productivity, you mean sweat shops. Better innovation, sorry the orginal idea for most products originated here, some are just good copycats. Better products, like what, American proiducts beat out most products made abroad in quality. Now if American companies were to pull their factories from other nations where would the rest of the world stand, not good. I for one have no problem with companies off-shoring jobs and manufacturing, just so long as those products and services are treated as imports and taxed as such, opps there goes the huge profits made off of cheap labor. I have worked in Europe and Asia and have worked for several major companies from those areas, I would put an American worker ahead of most of those I have had the pleasure of working with. You seem to hold the same distorted view of Americans that many outside this nation do, that Americans are lazy, if that is true why are our products in just high demand everywhere in the world, why do other nations model their industry on ours, why are we still THE driving force in the world economy? Think about it.
Casper

Old 10-22-2009, 04:33 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,931,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
...but the American consumer will continue to buy the junk that is manufactured elsewhere. If the majority of populace demanded better Made in The USA products of fair trade products, this would speak volumes t the politicians. Whenever there is a thread about Walmart, I am amazed to see how many people sing their praises and defend the out of kilter trade agreements that allow this to continue. Imagine if Americans refused to shop for X-mas gifts unless they were manufactured here. One season of this and you'd see how fast we would get a reaction and chages in trade policies.
I would love to buy more products made in the USA, buying US products helps this nation. Problem is it is so hard to find such items. Clothing is easy, check the label, but cars are another story, especially when a Toyota is more American made than a Ford. Trade agreements are not bad in themselves, if done right everyone wins, but when done wrong, well ........
Casper

Old 10-22-2009, 04:34 PM

88,978 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indurain View Post
Direct your annoyance toward your fellow citizens.

Their laziness.
Their complacency.

Their laziness and complacency was insulated because, pre globalisation, your country did not face competition.

That better productivity, better innovation, better products, of other nations, have exposed the USA.
Hopefully, that'll be a kick in the nutz to our joke of a public education system, too. They've dumbed most students down in a bizarrely twisted attempt at 'social justice' educational outcomes leveling.

"A college professor looks at the forgotten victims of our mediocre educational system--the potentially high achievers whose SAT scores have fallen, and who read less, understand less of what they read, and know less than the top students of a generation ago."
The Other Crisis in American Education - 91.11 (http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/educatio/singalf.htm - broken link)

Old 10-22-2009, 04:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Hopefully, that'll be a kick in the nutz to our joke of a public education system, too. They've dumbed most students down in a bizarrely twisted attempt at 'social justice' educational outcomes leveling.

"A college professor looks at the forgotten victims of our mediocre educational system--the potentially high achievers whose SAT scores have fallen, and who read less, understand less of what they read, and know less than the top students of a generation ago."
The Other Crisis in American Education - 91.11 (http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/educatio/singalf.htm - broken link)
Sadly education reform doesn't look like it's anywhere on the horizon.
Talk from the WH now is about leaving schools open longer so kids have a safe place to go to do their homework.

OK..right. Longer "babysitting" hours at schools. Yup..that will bring up SAT scores in no time flat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies