Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2009, 11:59 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
At some point a cancer becomes a malignancy and must be removed before it spreads. The insane episode that unfolded last year when Hank The Skank Paulson practically said..."give me a blank check or else" was indeed insane! What happens next time they want to socialize their losses? They demand the first born of every family? Enough of this crap! Nobody deserves that much money when they have done nothing worthy of earning it. Witnessing this kind of gluttony is sickening. Why doesn't Wall Street just put up flashing neon signs on their financial institutions and have floor shows after dinner? You want to gamble? You lose, *********.

The post above is clearly one of class envy. Compensation envy.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:08 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The post above is clearly one of class envy. Compensation envy.
Class in the sense of the word where it has real meaning, cannot be bought. The most obnoxious people that I have ever met were the noveau riche. I spent most of my working life in offices on Central Park South and Park Avenue and I can always pin out the gluttons with money and the people that are well to do that have class. There is a big difference. I can spot a Wall Street glutton from thirty paces... blindfolded.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:11 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Class in the sense of the word where it has real meaning, cannot be bought. The most obnoxious people that I have ever met were the noveau riche. I spent most of my working life in offices on Central Park South and Park Avenue and I can always pin out the gluttons with money and the people that are well to do that have class. There is a big difference. I can spot a Wall Street glutton from thirty paces... blindfolded.
That's nice.

Are there other businesses you would like to cap incomes on?

Or, would it simply be all business?

How about athletes? Should their incomes also get reduced?

Old 10-25-2009, 12:15 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Um, this is for execs of TARPed companies.

And you dont think that's fair, I suppose.
90% reduction in executive pay??? No, its not fair to the people hired on to clean up the mess. But Fannie and Freddy get special treatment, they get billions in taxpayer money, and yet they pay millions to their executives, that's probably just fine and dandy with you eh?

Those companies should have been allowed to fail in the first place.

Let the greedy companies fail, and make room for those smaller companies that did not need our money to bail them out, that did not try to work the system because they had some insider info, and knew daddy government would bail them out.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:21 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
90% reduction in executive pay??? No, its not fair to the people hired on to clean up the mess. But Fannie and Freddy get special treatment, they get billions in taxpayer money, and yet they pay millions to their executives, that's probably just fine and dandy with you eh?

Those companies should have been allowed to fail in the first place.

Let the greedy companies fail, and make room for those smaller companies that did not need our money to bail them out, that did not try to work the system because they had some insider info, and knew daddy government would bail them out.
Not at all, friend. Not at all.

I agree with most of your post.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:18 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Well, a mortgage on a 2 million dollar house will roughly be .... what? roughly $20/k month... possibly inclusive of taxes and insurance (assuming you put 20% down).

So, at 500k you should be able to pay the mortgage. Just try to get your income in dividend income, so you only pay 15% tax rate.

:-P

Old 10-25-2009, 08:29 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Use your common sense please, if you have any. The ratio that exists in many financial institutions was 500-1, clearly out of line, and 50-1 I think would be much more in line, but still excessive. The ration is of course dependent on the company, and many now pay less than 50-1. My point is that a ratio of average employee to CEO pay ties the two together so we don't see the wildly out of line CEO pay. I think Obama is doing a good job of addressing that issue.
The figures I posted is a mathmatical computation YOU suggested.

Whats the matter, you didnt like the fact that the pay compensation tied to employee hourly wages when spelled out, sounds good, but looks really stupid?

Old 10-25-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
So, at 500k you should be able to pay the mortgage. Just try to get your income in dividend income, so you only pay 15% tax rate.
The 15% taxable rate, which was to encourage people to buy and hold stocks for a period of time will be gone in 2011. There will be massive selling of stocks being held for the dividends next year.

But dont worry you guys who make under $250,000.. This isnt a tax increase, even though your taxes are going up.. Obama said it wasnt..

Qualified dividend - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-25-2009, 03:04 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Usury? Really?

Do you really know what Usury is? Bet you don't. Actually, your statements PROVE you don't.

Nope, BofA practiced no "usury".
usury - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Quote:
Main Entry: usu·ry
Pronunciation: \ˈyü-zhə-rē, ˈyüzh-rē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural usu·ries
Etymology: Middle English usurie, from Anglo-French, from Medieval Latin usuria, alteration of Latin usura, from usus, past participle of uti to use
Date: 14th century
1 archaic : interest
2 : the lending of money with an interest charge for its use; especially : the lending of money at exorbitant interest rates
3 : an unconscionable or exorbitant rate or amount of interest; specifically : interest in excess of a legal rate charged to a borrower for the use of money

Do you have your own different definition you would like to submit in evidence?

Bank of America any countless other banks are guilty on points 1, 2, and 3 when you consider the outrageous fees tacked on in recent years as an interest percent.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
usury - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Do you have your own different definition you would like to submit in evidence?

Bank of America any countless other banks are guilty on points 1, 2, and 3 when you consider the outrageous fees tacked on in recent years as an interest percent.
My bank loans are running between 2.99% and 4.5%, you think thats usery?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies