Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2009, 07:27 AM

956 posts, read 1,234,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
For the last time snarene, MSNBC doens't claim to be news. We'll be all good once Ailes an co. change their name to the Fox News & Opinon Channel. What part of that don't you get?
OMG!!! Really???? Has anyone called NBC News and told them? What will they do with all their correspondents? Does Chuck Todd know? YIKES!!!! Alert the media! NBC is no longer news!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 07:31 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
OMG!!! Really???? Has anyone called NBC News and told them? What will they do with all their correspondents? Does Chuck Todd know? YIKES!!!! Alert the media! NBC is no longer news!!!!!
I know. It is an utterly preposterous claim. They report the news, just like Fox and CNN, throughout the day and then opinion/commentary takes over, just like Fox and CNN.

The bi*ch slap obama took yesterday from the other networks is quite telling. Their attempt to dictate to the media has only exacerbated their position on the issue. They stepped over the line and now the media has really taken notice.

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/bl...p/rubin/138612

Quote:
Third, it’s disturbing that at a time when we still lack a strategy decision on Afghanistan, unemployment is sky high, and health-care reform is in disarray, this is what consumes the White House. For an administration that was supposed to transcend petty partisanship, it has become, yes, the spitting image of the Nixon White House — defensive, vengeful, and self-destructive.

For those who suggested that Obama’s main selling point was his “superior temperament,” we anxiously await an admission of grave error. It seems they were terribly mistaken.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:34 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
For the last time snarene, MSNBC doens't claim to be news. We'll be all good once Ailes an co. change their name to the Fox News & Opinon Channel. What part of that don't you get?
Perkins, you must not be feeling very Well to say such a comment. I think the folks at GE would also disagree with you.

But if Perkins is right, then that just leaves us CNN as the only one who tells the truth? Then the US is really in trouble.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:37 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Did they really think the other news organizations would go along with his petty vindictiveness?

After the other outfits told him to forget it unless Fox was included, the man-child relented.

Now, this is the network "pool", the 5 outfits that split costs, rotate in briefings, stuff like that. Fox has been a member since 1997.

I'm really pleased (and surprised) that the other networks did that. The only way to fight a bully is to gang up on him. Perhaps they wondered if they didn't speak up now, when would the White House come for them? The White House did this more to scare them, than act against Fox. Stay in the Obama fan club or we'll cut you off, too.

Perhaps the liberal and conservative talk radio hosts/owners should band together, as well. After all, they all have issues (albeit different ones) about what the White House is doing. If the White House tries to bully conservative talk radio about cap and trade, for example, how long before it comes after liberal talk radio for maybe being against Obama actions in Afghanistan?

Old 10-23-2009, 07:45 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm really pleased (and surprised) that the other networks did that. The only way to fight a bully is to gang up on him. Perhaps they wondered if they didn't speak up now, when would the White House come for them? The White House did this more to scare them, than act against Fox. Stay in the Obama fan club or we'll cut you off, too.

Perhaps the liberal and conservative talk radio hosts/owners should band together, as well. After all, they all have issues (albeit different ones) about what the White House is doing. If the White House tries to bully conservative talk radio about cap and trade, for example, how long before it comes after liberal talk radio for maybe being against Obama actions in Afghanistan?
The White House is trying to apply pressure to other news outfits NOT to follow stories coming out of Fox News, like Van Jones, ACORN, Jennings, Mao-lovers and a host of other stories and radicals. I guess that would also include HC and Cap&Trade.

If other organizations "ignore" such stories, the White House can ignore them as well. That is their ultimate goal.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:46 AM

NYT: Obama whined about Fox News at off-the-record briefing with lefty pundits

Quote:
Speaking privately at the White House on Monday with a group of columnists and commentators, including Rachel Maddow and Keith Olbermann of MSNBC and Maureen Dowd, Frank Rich and Bob Herbert of The New York Times, President Obama himself gave vent to sentiments about the network, according to people briefed on the conversation…

Mr. Clemente suggested that the fight with Fox was part of a larger White House strategy to marginalize critics. He cited a report in Politico about a strategy session in August at which officials discussed plans to move more aggressively against opponents.

White House officials acknowledged that Fox News did come up at that meeting, although not, they said, as a central topic. A number of issues had been added to the White House’s list of grievances by then, including the network’s heavy coverage of some of the more heavily anti-administration commentary at town-hall-style meetings on health care and Mr. Beck’s remark that Mr. Obama “has a deep-seated hatred for white people.”

“This is a discussion that probably had to be had about their approach to things,” Mr. Axelrod said. “Our concern is other media not follow their lead.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/23/us...%20news&st=cse

Old 10-23-2009, 07:57 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
NYT: Obama whined about Fox News at off-the-record briefing with lefty pundits

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/23/us...%20news&st=cse
Didn't Bush have meetings with the right wing press at George Will's House?

Old 10-23-2009, 08:07 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I understand they don't find Fox News favorable since it provides a conservative angle to news however I fail to see the strategy in trying to limit Fox access and openly criticize them. It seems that action would boost Fox's ratings and reflect poorly on the White House as being petty and not honoring the concept of a free press. Those who have read my posts and know my reputation understand that I'm fairly centrist who has criticized Fox News and Glenn Beck in the past so I'm not being biased. I just don't understand what the White House seems to gain by doing this?
I think they may have had success in the past by using the power of the White House to bully people into submission, and they think it will work here also. I believe they think they can silence all public opposition to their policies if they just make an example out of the Fox News Network.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Didn't Bush have meetings with the right wing press at George Will's House?
I don't know, I wasn't there. Could you supply a link?

Old 10-23-2009, 08:17 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,995,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
You don't understand how media conglomerates work, do you? MSNBC & NBC News are not the same thing. Just like Fox News & Fox Broadcasting are not the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies