Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 03:10 PM

208 posts, read 476,334 times

Advertisements

Yes, although I agree with the substance of Sustein's argument, I worry about his underlying agenda and implications. What would abolishing marriage do to set up the next domino to knock over for the cultural Marxists. Remember, destroy the family and religion, and the people have no other choice than to turn to the State.

Nevertheless, it takes the bite out of all the gay crap that takes too much of our mental political energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 03:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
you'd have to legally dissolve your civil union.
From the article:
"Under our proposal, the word marriage would no longer appear in any laws, and marriage licenses would no longer be offered or recognized by any level of government," wrote Sunstein..."

He proposes a private partnership agreement. Throw all of it back at people themselves.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:15 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Yea, Cass knows a thing or three about the sanctity of marriage.

not that I don't disagree with his views, I just think he's scummy.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:16 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,829 times
Interuption from the "kook" freedom fringe:

"Marriages", "civil-unions", and any preferential law that uses such terms by our government should be abolished. A contract can be drawn up between any two people. End of story.

Now back to the world of tyrants and special interests...

Old 10-24-2009, 03:23 PM

507 posts, read 678,506 times
I agree with this. Government really has no business dictating the terms of a marriage; it should be a religious institution. Let people (gay and straight) who want government civil unions have them, and also give people the option to go to their faith for a religious marriage with the the terms defined by the church. It seems fair to everyone.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th Street View Post
I agree with this. Government really has no business dictating the terms of a marriage; it should be a religious institution. Let people (gay and straight) who want government civil unions have them, and also give people the option to go to their faith for a religious marriage with the the terms defined by the church. It seems fair to everyone.
Until a divorce happens and the ex-hubby walks away leaving mom and the kids with no support or any legal means to get it.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:28 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Until a divorce happens and the ex-hubby walks away leaving mom and the kids with no support or any legal means to get it.
I am sure there are ways to work that out.

With a contract that can be enforced by the state, the man and woman can say, if spouse x leaves, I'm entitled to x amount of child support.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I am sure there are ways to work that out.

With a contract that can be enforced by the state, the man and woman can say, if spouse x leaves, I'm entitled to x amount of child support.
The OP states government at all levels would be out of the marriage game.
It becomes a private partnership..enforcible, not by the state, but by lawyers you hire yourself.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:32 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The OP states government at all levels would be out of the marriage game.
It becomes a private partnership..enforcible, not by the state, but by lawyers you hire yourself.
It's not necessarily a marriage. It's just a contract drawn up between two individuals just like if you loan someone money and draw up a contract stating when you want all your money back, etc.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:50 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullenite View Post
Obama 'Czar': abolish marriage

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=113802

Quote:
The U.S. government should abolish its sanctioning of marriage, argued Cass Sunstein, President Obama's regulatory czar.

Sunstein proposed that the concept of marriage should become privatized, with the state only granting civil union contracts to couples wishing to enter into an agreement.

Sunstein explained marriage licensing is unnecessary, pointing out people stay committed to organizations like country clubs and homeowner associations without any government interference.

"Under our proposal, the word marriage would no longer appear in any laws, and marriage licenses would no longer be offered or recognized by any level of government."

World Net Daily is soooo Funny

How about this one

Obama: Health Care Plan Would Give Seniors Right To Choose How They Are Killed | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies