U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 09:03 AM

9,000 posts, read 8,600,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Anybody know why the Dems voted this down?

Democrats Block Roskam’s Medicare Fraud Prevention Amendment
Reject “Common-Sense, Taxpayer-Protecting” Reform Measure
(http://roskam.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=137927 - broken link)
That's really weird.
I don't even see how the private insurance companies could oppose this so I don't see why Democrats would oppose it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 09:11 AM

7,894 posts, read 6,753,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Proof in ALL THINGS that the government should butt out of our lives as much as possible and NOT provide health care.

So we should eliminate Medicare? That would save a fortune. How about all the people that are anti the health care start pushing to get the gov out of all of it? Sounds Like a good plan to me. No more medicare, Medicaid wow we would save hundreds of billions.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:11 AM

5,913 posts, read 4,891,791 times
What was the Bush Administration doing for 8 years? This is shocking and egregious.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:13 AM

3,194 posts, read 2,463,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
What was the Bush Administration doing for 8 years? This is shocking and egregious.
Is that helpful today? can you answer my question in post #9?

Old 10-26-2009, 09:23 AM

17,531 posts, read 6,765,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
That's really weird.
I don't even see how the private insurance companies could oppose this so I don't see why Democrats would oppose it.
I don't know either. Oversight is their job, but they seem to not want anything to do with it. I mean, if they won't attempt to prevent fraud in current government run programs, why should we feel they would in new programs? I guess its because they look upon our tax revenue as free money from a bottomless pit of cash.

Politicians are always concerned with reelection, so wouldn't it be a great campaign slogan to say you are eliminating fraud and waste of taxpayer dollars?

"The Democrats’ bill includes higher penalties for those guilty of healthcare fraud, but does not effectively address the broken pay-first-then-chase payment system. Under the Democrat plan, criminals like Jose Luiz Perez are able to steal money just as easily and safely, only with greater opportunities in a new government run health plan."

Maybe they can campaign on "I voted for a bill that included "higher penalties for those guilty of healthcare fraud," because its easier then actually doing anything to stop the fraud.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:47 AM

41,214 posts, read 23,879,800 times
Quote:
As Kroft warned viewers in the segment's teaser, "We caution you that this story may raise your blood pressure, along with some troubling questions about our government's ability to manage a medical bureaucracy"
This is not something obama wants people to think about. I wonder if he tried to get 60 Minutes to not run the piece.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:57 AM

17,531 posts, read 6,765,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
This is not something obama wants people to think about. I wonder if he tried to get 60 Minutes to not run the piece.
Don't you recall, 0bama said he was going to pay for 0bamaCare with $500 billion saved by ending Medicare fraud.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:43 PM

3,975 posts, read 6,749,888 times
it is shocking to read.

makes you wonder how many people are doing it...

Medicare Fraud: A $60 Billion Crime - 60 Minutes - CBS News

Old 10-27-2009, 03:51 PM

6,745 posts, read 5,325,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The government thru Medicare is not providing health care, it is providing health insurance. Regulation is necessary in government agencies as well as private agencies as human beings tend to allow greed to take over and become corrupted. We need more regulation from government in the private sector and its own agencies. Obama has been cracking down on Medicare fraud and there are articles, if you take the time to Google them.
Thank you! It's amazing how these people can't differentiate between care and coverage.

The 60 Minutes story was a good one...

Old 10-27-2009, 04:35 PM

9,011 posts, read 9,425,886 times
You think it's appropriate the "investigative department is underfunded? They lose 60 billion dollars a year in Medicare Fraud and you think the appropriate answer by the government is that it's "underfunded" Isn't it their job to fund it. Isn't it their job to address this after this has been occurring for the last 20 years?

And this is the same government you want to take over healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies