U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2009, 10:11 AM

69,360 posts, read 56,586,093 times

Advertisements

Seems the story is old, but first I've heard of it. But Van Jones, Whitehouse "Czar" has been involved..

New Initiative To Push Internet For Everyone | WebProNews

Nearly half of Americans favor some form of Internet regulation, and Internet usage is closely linked to income and broadband penetration. FCC Chairman Kevin Martin, thanks to future political ambitions, is proposing a nationwide content-regulated wireless network offering 768 kbps, which is sure to generate controversy on both the ISP side and the freedom of speech side of the debate.

So this is the government wanting to subsidize the internet in exchange for authority to regulate whats being put out?

Somewhere there is a video of Van Jones calling for free internet for all. Considering my internet bill, that might sound good.. Let the handouts continue...
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 10:13 AM

The reason why this becomes important btw, is Net Neutrality – The Internet’s Fairness Doctrine | (http://vociferation.net/holyh/?p=1419 - broken link)

The FCC has, today, approved the rules regarding Net Neutrality, October 22, 2009

Old 10-26-2009, 10:13 AM

20,000 posts, read 16,022,871 times
Don't fret. It's all ending, soon. The term "bailout" will soon be as passe as cabbage patch dolls and the pet rock. 130 billion in T-bills on the block this week. We'll see what happens, won't we?

Old 10-27-2009, 09:13 AM

15,208 posts, read 18,572,827 times
Great plan (if you're the feds) - make sure that everybody in the country has Internet access, then tax the hell out of it!

So far, Congress has been keeping their grubby little fingers out of our pockets when it comes to inet access, but it comes up every year or two. I'll lay 2:1 that the next time it does, you're going to see a nice little "surcharge" on the next bill from your ISP.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:36 AM

4,645 posts, read 5,180,239 times
Maybe people can find a more rewarding addiction.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:45 AM

10,632 posts, read 16,884,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The reason why this becomes important btw, is Net Neutrality – The Internet’s Fairness Doctrine | (http://vociferation.net/holyh/?p=1419 - broken link)

The FCC has, today, approved the rules regarding Net Neutrality, October 22, 2009
You need to do some research on what Net Neutrality is. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Fairness Doctrine.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
You need to do some research on what Net Neutrality is. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Fairness Doctrine.
As someone else tried to proclaim yesterday until I had to link together the fact that internet and tv shows will in the future come down the same pipeline and tv and intenet access will be on the same machines. (I myself already get tv on my computers, and computer screens posted on my tv's for stock tickers)

The laws are being setup to allow regulation by the FCC. Pretending that the technology isnt being steered in this direction that they will both need regulated by the same branch of government doesnt mean the need isnt there because this technology exists.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:06 PM
obo

926 posts, read 878,117 times
This has everything to do with control. If you don't think so, how come cable or sattelite TV isn't subsidized and made available to everyone for free? Huh>> Why not? Because they already have control over that, the internet is the last FREE SPEECH frontier that they want to get their dirty, grubby little hands on.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:30 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,069,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obo View Post
This has everything to do with control. If you don't think so, how come cable or sattelite TV isn't subsidized and made available to everyone for free? Huh>> Why not? Because they already have control over that, the internet is the last FREE SPEECH frontier that they want to get their dirty, grubby little hands on.
You nailed it, friend! The government wants to control all sources of information. We are losing our freedom slowly but very surely. The maintenance of freedom takes eternal vigilance.

- Reel

Old 10-27-2009, 12:33 PM

66,423 posts, read 35,893,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Seems the story is old, but first I've heard of it. But Van Jones, Whitehouse "Czar" has been involved..

New Initiative To Push Internet For Everyone | WebProNews

Nearly half of Americans favor some form of Internet regulation, and Internet usage is closely linked to income and broadband penetration. FCC Chairman Kevin Martin, thanks to future political ambitions, is proposing a nationwide content-regulated wireless network offering 768 kbps, which is sure to generate controversy on both the ISP side and the freedom of speech side of the debate.

So this is the government wanting to subsidize the internet in exchange for authority to regulate whats being put out?

Somewhere there is a video of Van Jones calling for free internet for all. Considering my internet bill, that might sound good.. Let the handouts continue...
That's an old Bush-era initiative. What's the point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or