Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Health Insurance be Mandatory for all Americans?
Yes - Assess fines and penalties for not having insurance 17 22.97%
Yes - but no fines or penalties for not having insurance 5 6.76%
No - Let Americans decide for themselves 49 66.22%
Undecided at this time 3 4.05%
Don't care 0 0%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 01:01 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times

Advertisements

It's interesting that so far, almost 70% (68.3%) do not support mandatory Health Insurance.

It's interesting because, it is following the national trend as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 01:08 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
This thread is about health insurance - not student loans. Can we please try to remain somewhat on topic?? Please??
See post #90. You somehow missed that one, but not the off topic posts.

Quote:
Please, try not to be so RUDE in your responses. The highlighted portions above were / are totally unnecessary
I should assume you completely missed post #94 (or didn't think it was rude and unnecessary).

Quote:
It's interesting that so far, almost 70% (68.3%) do not support mandatory Health Insurance.
It's interesting because, it is following the national trend as well.
How many do you think actually understand "why mandate"? Again, going back to post #90. In fact, I could have selected any of the top three choices on the poll, because my idea, while supporting mandate, is also about personal choice and accountability.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:16 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
As no one will get caught without health care until they need it to pay a medical bill, the fine should be equal to the cost of care. Bankruptcy shouldn't discharge the debt. In some cases they will pay forever.
I agree completely with this. IF we get some sort of system that makes insurance easy and affordable (even if not mandated) and people still choose not to have insurance, and we all have to subsidize their care, then they should not get to go the relatively easy way out and declare bankruptcy, sticking us all with the bill. Certainly if there is any kind of public option or government subsidy the debts can't be bankrupt-able.

I'm also not opposed to allowing people to suffer the direct consequence of failing to have insurance. They get just as much medical care as they can pay for on their own. I'm pretty sure most people would make the right choice.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:50 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Provide health care for free, and you wouldn't have to worry about insurance.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
OK, fair enough.

And, who is going to pay for all the "free" care?

Who will pay the Doctors, Nurses, Hospitals, Clinics, Medications, X-Rays and so on?

Who will pay for all of this???

Old 10-27-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
OK, fair enough.

And, who is going to pay for all the "free" care?

Who will pay the Doctors, Nurses, Hospitals, Clinics, Medications, X-Rays and so on?

Who will pay for all of this???
See: The Rest of the Developed World.

BTW, did you have any response to my post (#90)? I will post it here for convenience:

Quote:
I support mandate, but solely to hold individuals accountable if they abuse the system. People should have the choice to buy or not. However, if they didn't, and didn't pay for their visit(s), two things should happen:
1- Pay fines (monetary)
2- They are not covered under pre-existing condition protection applied retro-actively for the period they chose not to be covered.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
See: The Rest of the Developed World.
If you please, I was responding to one particular poster who often times loses touch with the real world.

As for your other question / post

Quote:
I support mandate, but solely to hold individuals accountable if they abuse the system. People should have the choice to buy or not. However, if they didn't, and didn't pay for their visit(s), two things should happen:
1- Pay fines (monetary)
2- They are not covered under pre-existing condition protection applied retro-actively for the period they chose not to be covered.
I respect your position. I personally disagree with your position.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:18 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
Quote:
Woo hoo!! Free health care!!

Old 10-27-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I respect your position. I personally disagree with your position.
Why?

Old 10-27-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Why?
First and foremost, I do not agree with making purchasing of health insurance mandatory. If you had taken a look at previous posts of mine on the subject, you would find no room for confusion on my position.

Then, fining someone for lack of insurance is ludicrous

Now comes the practical issue of enforcement - a) How are you going to police the issue assuring compliance, b) enforcement of a fine? How? And if they do not pay - then what? Jail?

And much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies