Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Health Insurance be Mandatory for all Americans?
Yes - Assess fines and penalties for not having insurance 17 22.97%
Yes - but no fines or penalties for not having insurance 5 6.76%
No - Let Americans decide for themselves 49 66.22%
Undecided at this time 3 4.05%
Don't care 0 0%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 09:26 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Secondly.. this discussion is about mandating health insurance so that EVERYONE that doesn't qualify for FREE health insurance (medicaid) MUST pay INTO the "system" so to speak so that they actually DO end up paying for their care!!! SO.. hence your argument about wanting someone else to pay for my care.. or any other person on this thread that wants mandated coverage is .. well quite ridiculous, and absurd..

Great.. YOU want to pull your own plug.. good for you.. I am NOT uninsured by choice.. and I DO NOT wish to die, nor do I deserve to die because I do not have health insurance.

I would agree with the "not receive care" if they ignore the mandate for insurance as opposed to fees.. but that is not at all practical, as it would never happen (getting kicked to the curb should they not be insured)....

Actually .. the system NOW in place is forcing the uninsured to actually receive care at the cost of everyone else by shutting us out from purchasing insurance, which is the access to care, or causing the default on payments due to lack of available money to pay for procedures.. etc.
How very selfish of you to want to deny me the very same thing you dont have yourself, the option to go without healthcare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 09:26 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Yes, it should. Ideally it shouldn't but we are paying for health insurance for the uninsured anyway because they just show up to the ER when they are sick. If we don't mandate health insurance, people will take advantage of the system and not get it and show up to the ER when they are ill. That's what happens now and then we all pay for it. I think they should at least pay a fine if they don't elect to pay for health insurance.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:31 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,011,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
How very selfish of you to want to deny me the very same thing you dont have yourself, the option to go without healthcare

What? You make no sense.. LOL

My not having health insurance is NOt an option.. i am being shut out of insurance..

You are just not making any kind of sense AT ALL..

You don't want to buy health insurance.. fine, don't.. but then you'll pay a fine for not.. You want to die... fine, tack a note on to yourself that says 'Let me die should something happen'. Go right ahead..LOL

You are trying to argue I want someone else to pay for me.. when here I am arguing for a government mandate that EVERYONE , INCLUDING myself, be required to purchase insurance....

AND, the reason I do is because if you remove the pre-existing barrier, which opens it up for me to purchase, it doesn't make sense NOT too..

Unless you want everything to stay just as it is.. Broken??

But.. I guess you don't care, since you don't at all mind dying Which, insurance or not, is still your option.. you can simply not get treated should you so choose.. you still have the right to die if you like

The rest of us would like the right to purchase into a system so that we do not have to end up dead. I happen to like the gift of life god gave me and would like to preserve it.. AND I would like to pay for the priveledge OF preserving it at a rate I could afford.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:34 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Health insurance should be so cheap that no one has an excuse NOT to be covered, and it should be a one time payment to cover a year.
And do you have a number in mind that you feel would be reasonable?

LOL at the idea that it should be a once a year payment. Most Americans have to charge Christmas gifts because they can't manage to save up for it. The majority pay their auto insurance monthly instead of 6 months or a year at a time, forgoing the prepayment discount. The majority like escrow accounts with their mortgages so they don't have to worry about saving up for taxes and insurance. Most people with employer insurance pick the plan that has the most expensive monthly premiums because they don't want to worry about slightly higher co-pays or deductibles....even if the premium plan costs MORE overall.

We are a society of non-savers and payment makers. How are you going to get everyone to pay for health insurance once a year?

Old 10-26-2009, 09:35 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Secondly.. this discussion is about mandating health insurance so that EVERYONE that doesn't qualify for FREE health insurance (medicaid) MUST pay INTO the "system" so to speak so that they actually DO end up paying for their care!!! SO.. hence your argument about wanting someone else to pay for my care.. or any other person on this thread that wants mandated coverage is .. well quite ridiculous, and absurd..
No, that is not what this discussion is all about.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:37 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,011,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
No, that is not what this discussion is all about.
Now who's being argumentative.

Oh excuse me.. this argument is about who believes or doesn't believe in the mandating of coverage and why.. ... It's on the question of mandating insurance coverage..

LOL.. whatever GD.. I didn't even bring it into the discussion.. someone else did..... but if you want to pick a fight ..keep going.. LOL.. you just look silly doing it is all.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:42 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Health insurance should be so cheap that no one has an excuse NOT to be covered, and it should be a one time payment to cover a year. The private/if/ insurer should also carry insurance to assure that the insured don't get shafted if they go out of business. Government insurance should be based on a sliding scale, and ability to pay. Some people are poor. Mandatory, but no one goes to jail, or gets fined because the government can't refuse to cover them. Couldn't the government take some coverage money out of an IRS refund ? You file, and check a box please add 400 dollars to my health coverage. Any sane fair mandatory plan should work for all. Even the guy down by the river should be covered by the government for his health woes.
Kumbaya, my Lord, Kumbaya. All together now....

Old 10-26-2009, 09:44 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You have made a conscious decision to not purchase insurance. That is your right. I have chosen to buy insurance

I believe it should be kept that way - with no penalties

Old 10-26-2009, 10:44 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I want patients and doctors to be able to decide what the appropriate treatment is. I don't want insurance companies or the government in the way.

With a single payer system, the government is just a payer.

I don't want the CEO with an incentive to deny me care so he can get a new BMW nor do I want some old anti-gay Republican denying people care either.
This thread has degenerated to this? I can't believe it. You say that with a single payer system the government is just the payer. I can't believe that anyone believes that. When the insurance companies pay they decide what they will pay.

I have been on Medicare for 12 years and I know what has happened. Some bureaucrat in my state capital has decided how much will be paid for each and every procedure we get. They pay ridiculous amounts on many things and almost nothing on so many others. Of course, the law says that the providers have to accept what those bureaucrats say the will pay. That is a perfect example of single payer and it will be no different under what you want. The payer decides what the providers can recover and they will pay no more. They will force the providers to take what they give and there is no way that they can collect any more.

If you are a doctor you are screwed and unable to charge what you want since those bureaucrats have decided what you can get. i wonder i you know how many doctors are not taking new Medicare patients and why they are doing that. I wonder if you know how short we will be of doctors when they have to pay their way to college but can't recover enough of the debt to get out from under it.

You have to check into what single payer really is and how it has to work because of what it is. I have read so much pure crap on this thread that I finally got sick of it and just had to comment and it was your claim of single payer that set me off. Please try to understand that I have every statement that Medicare has sent me all that time and I have a very good idea what single payer will become.

Yep, government controlled socialized medicine will be controlled by bureaucrats and I don't care what some liberal wild man has told you. I have been there for 12 years but don't expect to last much longer after this piece of trash bill becomes law.

Mandatory health insurance is so unconstitutional that it makes those of us who understand the Constitution sick to hear this kind of talk. I may not be a constitutional lawyer like people claim Obama is but I did teach the subject to high school kids for 28 years and I think I have an idea what it says. Do you?

Old 10-26-2009, 10:49 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Default Greatday, I am sorry for my last post but I can only take so much crap

I am very sorry I went off on that tirade but somehow these people have to understand just how that single payer crap will work and I think I have enough time on Medicare to know how it will work. I just couldn't take the crap any longer. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies