U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-27-2009, 03:57 AM
 
1,352 posts, read 1,716,555 times
Reputation: 499

Advertisements

Climate chief "give up meat to save the planet"...

Climate chief Lord Stern: give up meat to save the planet - Times Online

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-27-2009, 04:07 AM
 
432 posts, read 523,678 times
Reputation: 161
yes sir! I'll get right on that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2009, 04:17 AM
 
Location: Kenmore, WA
7,491 posts, read 6,476,566 times
Reputation: 10927
Read the evidence. It's been out there for decades. The majority of our farm land is being used to feed livestock, predominantly beef, but also dairy. Those crops are using, and fouling, the majority of our clean water. Our visit to Wisconsin (which was BEAUTIFUL) had some of the nastiest tasting water, because of run off from the fields.

Some scientists believe that methane from our cows is a greater contributor to the emissions that attack the ozone layer than fossil-fueled engines.

Coupled with the laxity of our food-industry sanitation and quality control, meat and dairy is bad news in general, but especially for the environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2009, 04:32 AM
 
432 posts, read 523,678 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Read the evidence. It's been out there for decades. The majority of our farm land is being used to feed livestock, predominantly beef, but also dairy. Those crops are using, and fouling, the majority of our clean water. Our visit to Wisconsin (which was BEAUTIFUL) had some of the nastiest tasting water, because of run off from the fields.

Some scientists believe that methane from our cows is a greater contributor to the emissions that attack the ozone layer than fossil-fueled engines.

Coupled with the laxity of our food-industry sanitation and quality control, meat and dairy is bad news in general, but especially for the environment.

why don't you act like you talk and move out to the wilderness and live off berries and grass and lake water?

That would actually help the problem you are talking about, than making the problem worse by using valuable energy to live in a house and make internet posts.


Sorry, but I just really hate the hypocrisy of global warming freaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2009, 04:33 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
34,687 posts, read 33,690,741 times
Reputation: 51892
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Some scientists believe that methane from our cows is a greater contributor to the emissions that attack the ozone layer than fossil-fueled engines.

Coupled with the laxity of our food-industry sanitation and quality control, meat and dairy is bad news in general, but especially for the environment.
What's next, environmentalists say no to Pull My Finger Day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2009, 04:54 AM
 
206 posts, read 150,348 times
Reputation: 84
From the AP
yesterday
WASHINGTON - An analysis of global temperatures by independent statisticians shows the Earth is still warming and not cooling as some global warming skeptics are claiming.The analysis was conducted at the request of The Associated Press to investigate the legitimacy of talk of a cooling trend that has been spreading on the Internet, fueled by some news reports, a new book and temperatures that have been cooler in a few recent years.
In short, it is not true, according to the statisticians who contributed to the AP analysis.

Moderator cut: copyright issues

Last edited by Marka; 10-29-2009 at 05:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2009, 05:04 AM
 
Location: Michigan
5,370 posts, read 4,643,355 times
Reputation: 1627
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Climate chief "give up meat to save the planet"...

Climate chief Lord Stern: give up meat to save the planet - Times Online

The headline and you say he said "give up meat......"

he said (from the article)

“................A vegetarian diet is better.”


He is right.

Not that I would give up my twice a week meat consumption (nor has he gone completely vegetarian either).

but he is right on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2009, 05:48 AM
 
Location: Chicago Suburbs
3,191 posts, read 3,790,578 times
Reputation: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Read the evidence. It's been out there for decades. The majority of our farm land is being used to feed livestock, predominantly beef, but also dairy. Those crops are using, and fouling, the majority of our clean water. Our visit to Wisconsin (which was BEAUTIFUL) had some of the nastiest tasting water, because of run off from the fields.

Some scientists believe that methane from our cows is a greater contributor to the emissions that attack the ozone layer than fossil-fueled engines.

Coupled with the laxity of our food-industry sanitation and quality control, meat and dairy is bad news in general, but especially for the environment.
Water "tastes" different from one area to another, if you are an adult, I can't believe you wouldn't have realized this by now.
If you didn't have the water tested for contaminants in a lab, you might just be engaging in hyperbole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2009, 05:58 AM
 
Location: Kenmore, WA
7,491 posts, read 6,476,566 times
Reputation: 10927
From my personal experience, reducing meat from one's diet does not require living in the woods and further spreading urban sprawl. Presently, I am living in an RV, where our environmental footprint is actually quite small. And, no, we do not use more fuel -- we are actually using less.

As for the quip about my taste of water, if you research the issue, you will find that Wisconsin water quality has been tested and found to have toxic levels of organic waste in the samples, caused from run-off from their agriculture -- dairy farms AND feed crops.

Rather than make irresponsible quips and jeers online, why not work with the facts and try to make this world a better place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2009, 06:06 AM
 
Location: Chicago Suburbs
3,191 posts, read 3,790,578 times
Reputation: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

Rather than make irresponsible quips and jeers online, why not work with the facts and try to make this world a better place?
You brought no facts or supporting data to the discussion, just opinion and conjecture.
"Cause I say so" , doesn't really do it for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top